IGNORED

Who was more redicilous in this situation?

rubbery
Note: This thread is 5790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If the Slowskys don't invite you to play through and you don't want to just man up and ask them, then you either suck it up and wait or skip whatever hole they are on and go around them.

Fairly simple solution.

Also, it's ridiculous.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? If you intentionally hit a ball at someone and hit them, it's assault.

By paying greens fees you are accepting all risks associated with the game of golf, including but not limited to, being hit by a golf ball.

How can anyone prove that the golfer that hit the ball intended to hit the person? No intent. The person being hit by the ball has put his/her self in a position where being hit by a ball is liable to happen. You are going to charge assault with a deadly weapon....with what, a golf ball?

In my Grom Stand Bag:

Driver: Launcher 400
Hybrid: Idea a30s Boxer 2i
Irons: MP-60's 4-PWWedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.12Wedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 60.4Putter: I-Series Anser 4Ball: Prov1

You're saying you would've beaten him up but he's

hahahha your right

we're all a bunch of hypocrites here hehehe lets all just go out and play golf man enjoy the game be nice and ask if u can play through

By paying greens fees you are accepting all risks associated with the game of golf, including but not limited to, being hit by a golf ball.

Umm going on a forum talking about teeing one up and sending a shot across the bow - kinda proves the whole intent aspect. In a country where people can sue because their coffee was hot, you can be sued for intentionally hitting a golfer with your ball. Do you really feel comfortable pushing the envelope on just why you can and can't be sued? The greens fees exempt the course from liability not other golfers, particularly if they can be shown to have played in a reckless manner. The guy hit one over 260 he should know better than to then hit a shot if there are people in range of that shot. I am not a lawyer but have worked with the legal system. If he hit said guy and killed or injured him, all his partner has to do is testify that this was the 2nd ball to come their way from the OP. The second ball to almost hit them. Just like if I clip some guy on the ski slope - my fault as I should be in control at all times. It isn't upon the old guy to not be in the OP's way, it is the OP's responsibility to know and realize that those guys are in his range (regardless of intent on the shot) - plus standard customs and courtesies dictate the yelling of FORE. You would be surprised how much that means in the legal system - if the OP didn't call it out KNOWING he had already reached the players with a ball, he could be found negligent. (depending on jurisdiction - like I said, not a lawyer and not legal advice)

Andrew

You are going to charge assault with a deadly weapon....with what, a golf ball?

You shouldn't make light of that idea... golf balls can go 175mph off the driver... I would never want someone to hit one at me intentionally. I'm sure a judge would consider an intentionally struck golf ball a deadly weapon, yes.

I once hit some guys ball into the woods after it landed at my feet without hearing a four. Needless to say I had one of the shittiest rounds ever. And it felt damn good when I did it.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

I think maybe you should've assumed by their poor play they didn't know proper etiquette and shouldve have just asked to play through.

Assumptions are the mother of all f-ups. Just go up and ASK. Not a hard thing to do. If I were the guy you hit into, I would break out my sharpie and stamp a big F-OFF on your ball...and perhaps pissed on it if I had to go (I don't care if anyone looks - I'm sure they'd applaud me if they knew someone intentionally bombed one over my head).

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, just my musings on the topic.

This would be a state issue, so you'd have to look up specifics, but generally assumption of the risk wouldn't include recklessness. If you hit a slice into another fairway, yell fore, and hit a guy... I'd guess a judge would say that the guy who got hit assumed that risk by playing, since the guy who hit it did nothing out of the ordinary. But if you hit a guy on your fairway, without any warning, and it wasn't some freak bounce or something... that's probably a different story. And you'd be surprised what can be considered a deadly weapon... I have firsthand experience with a situation where a guitar was the deadly weapon... don't ask.
The greens fees exempt the course from liability

This isn't necessarily true... the course will tell you it is, for obvious reasons, but you don't waive the course's obligation to provide a reasonably safe environment just by paying the green fees. Of course it depends on the state and the circumstances, but for example, if a net protecting a tee box from slices from an adjacent hole was damaged, and a ball got through and knocked some dude out... the course's lawyers would probably be sweating.

Once again, all of this is a layman's opinion and should not be relied upon in any way.

IMHO, you.

Try Xanax.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I think this thread has been resolved?

lol Die thread die!

"Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end."

Started playing - April 25th, 2008

In my bag: FT-5 Neutral Driver 9° 990B Irons Rifle Flighted Shafts (3-PW) Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Midslant Vokey wedges 252*08,256*12 and 260*04 PROV1xSequoyah National - A Robert Trent...

I just came up with a great idea for situations like this - keep a spindle of thin white or green string. If this situation arises, tie the string around the ball and as soon as he winds up to hit the ball for his second shot, yank it out of the way - that'll teach him :)

This thread shall NEVER DIE!!!

P.S.: I'm only 'half' kidding on this one...I'd kill to see it happen though

P.P.S.: On second thought, it probably wouldn't work unless you figured out a way to keep it taut and unnoticeable...stick to my first solution a few posts back

P.P.P.S.: Keep one of those trick exploding balls in your bag for such an occasion ;)

P.P.P.P.S.: Waiting on someone to have a P.P.P.P.P.S.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I went out to a course near my house the other day around 5:30 so I could squeeze in a quick nine. The starter informed me that I had to let a pair of older guys making the turn tee of in front of me, so I complied and watched as each of there three tee shots totaled about 136 yards.

you were, never did I see that you stated you asked them to play through, so imho if you don't ask then be patient...you should have asked them to play through

I'm sure if you would have asked, they would have let you play through. If someone was to purposely hit a ball over my head, their ball isn't the only thing that would be going in the water.

It's just rude. Have some class bud.

I agree I think I would also have thrown your ball into the river, and I would have had a good mind to throw you in along with it. I think it would be very obvious who was the most ridiculous if you had ended up hitting someone. A golf ball could very easily kill someone, you should never hit into people.

Slow play can be annoying, but I don't think it's punishable by death, that seems a little harsh. And I don't think anyone out trying to enjoy a game of golf should needlessly be placed in mortal danger.You could have simply asked if they would mind you playing through, and if they refused you could even have spoken to a marshal about them.

Failing that you could just learn to be patient, we all know that there is a good chance you'll get stuck behind someone playing slow, especially when you just want a quick 9 holes. You have to make allowances.

I find an amusing way to pass the time when you're stuck behind someone slow is to try and make bets with your playing partners over who will be next to shank/slice/lose the ball. It's not terribly mature but it makes watching them much more enjoyable and provides an outlet for your frustration. Most importantly no one gets hurt (unless they are big and hear you)

No offense dude, but you start trying to hit balls over my head, I'm not going to throw your ball into the river. Something more serious would have happened. You are lucky imo these guys only threw your ball in the river.

• Administrator
No offense dude, but you start trying to hit balls over my head, I'm not going to throw your ball into the river. Something more serious would have happened. You are lucky imo these guys only threw your ball in the river.

Ditto. Yep.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did you ask to play through?

Nothing worse than a group that doesn't let a faster group play through when there is nobody in front of them.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I would have thrown a few punches then thrown you in the river.

Serriously though, as rude as slow play is, firing balls over guys heads trumps that. If they won't let you play through, then either skip a hole or call the pro shop. At the very least, ask them straight up "Why won't you let us play through?"
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 5790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!