IGNORED

Most hated course design tricks

gas_can
Note: This thread is 5551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

uneven tee boxes? I don't think this is a "design trick" but strikes me more as poor upkeep if there is no flat area to hit from. I don't want to hit a driver off a side-hill lie...
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a tree in the middle of the fairway

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Not a lot of mounds over here in Washington state. Personally, I don't like courses where there is a lot of slope on the fairways AND on the greens. If a designer is going to put a lot of slope on the fairway, then at least don't severely slope the greens. I don't mind when the greens have a slope but then don't put as much slope in the fairway.

My second peeve is when a par 4 has a severe dogleg 200 yards away from the tee with no way to cut the corner because of really tall trees. I've played holes like this in central Oregon and I don't like them at all.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

1. "Collection areas" that spray any shot that lands anywhere near them directly out of bounds - generally only found on par 3s.

2. Stupidly excessive mounding.

3. 235+ yard par 3s - only the pros are picking targets at that distance; mortals are aiming at areas (ie: "the entire green and 10 yards left, too") from that far out.

4. Pete Dye. Seriously. I genuinely believe his courses to be garbage, with his absolute worst being the Barefoot Dye course in Myrtle.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

1. Uneven tee boxes/Unkept tee boxes
2. British Open type 3 foot hay grass rough. I do not have cameras following the ball nor spectators watching for my ball. It makes it near impossible to find a ball that is 285 yards out. I know I shouldnt hit it there in the first place, but when speed of play is important maybe trimming it to a normal length would work.
3. Super side sloped fairways that will not keep a ball in the fairway.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

The Fazios in general and railroad ties in particular.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

my high school home course was actually a nice course but there was on hole with the biggest tiered green imaginable, and if you didn't get over that tier, the ball would sometimes roll off the MIDDLE of the green and into the water.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

my high school home course was actually a nice course but there was on hole with the biggest tiered green imaginable, and if you didn't get over that tier, the ball would sometimes roll off the MIDDLE of the green and into the water.

Thats like every hole at Oakmont except for the water part

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

• Administrator
Thats like every hole at Oakmont except for the water part

Very few of Oakmont's greens are "tiered." This much you know.

Oakmont's greens have dramatic (yet very subtly blended) contours, but "tiered," no. I don't despise tiers (or a lot of contour) if there's still a shot you can play which will be safe. Whether that's shaping the ball left or right, or high or low, or running the ball onto the green, or whatever - if there's a shot you can play, and particularly if there's enough of a bail-out area - I don't consider it a "trick."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont mind much as long as there is a way to play to it. I agree with whoever said the tree in the middle of the fairway, I think they are stupid. Someone said railroad ties, I dont get it, around here they are used for looks though, not any sort of trick. I dislike greens that arent receptive to any shot at all. More so when they put the pin in the unrealistic spot. Like on the slope between two tiers. Ok put it just on top or something, but not literally on it.

Anything built by the Dye's! Those guys must hate golfers. I hate blind tee shots (dangerous and make for slow play) and rolling mounds that Jack Nicklaus loves to put on everything. I think that Gary Player designs some pretty fair courses.

In my bag:

360 10.5 44.5 Prolaunch
300 Tour 15 EI-70
V-Steel 21 (POS!, bye bye) TA-7 Tour 4-PW 56 & 60 588's Anser 2 Laddie (Why??)Mini bottles of Jim Beam...Oops.

I think course designers should be aloud to make any tricks they like, they just add to the concerntration needed and for you to hit a better shot
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I personally believe that you cannot please all of the people all of the time. I'd say the average golfer has a worse ego than course designers. Why? Because they insist on playing a course that allows them to score rather than be challenged. After playing golf for 21 years, I'm tired of playing bland courses that don't challenge me. Now, I'm playing the tips, all the time. Eventually, I think it will help me improve my game.

I have now played a total of 13 member-guest golf tournaments over the last few years. Every single time I have played, the "Tournament" tees end up being at or near the Senior tee box. What's up with that? Clearly the older or shorter hitting members are complaining enough to get their way. It is now to the point where I can rarely hit driver because I would face too much trouble. As a result, I cannot use my distance to my advantage. Not fair in my opinion.

Whoever says you have to score well to enjoy Golf is missing the point. It's a game far more challenging the other of our more primitive sports. I don't think designers should have to have a red carpet to the green on every hole. Rewarding someone for not being able to get the ball airborn is not a real challenge in my book. I enjoy novelty and creativity of designers. Not every hole is meant to be birdied, eagled, or reached in less than regulation. I remember a story about Ben Hogan chipping down to a lower tee box in a pro tourney because the hole was too long and windy. I don't remember him complaining. People said Shinnecock Hills was way too long for a short hitter to win, then Corey Pavin took home the title with a fairway metal approach on the Par-4 18th.

This is golf, enjoy the challenge and uniqueness of each and every golf course. Because in my eyes, they are all masterpieces.

If you would like conformity, there is always tennis and basketball.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I hate false fronts on greens..those things piss me off to no end..
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

What would a "false front" be?

One thing I don't particularly care about are when courses have hazards that cross the fairway at unreasonable points. There is a course in Houston called Wildcat. On the Highlands course, there is one hole where you can only hit your drive 260 yards or so before you enter a ravine. So, usually one would play a 230 shot to avoid getting too close. Problem is, that shot leaves you like 190 yard blind uphill approach to the green. It's retarded. You don't see them that much, but it just seems to me that the tee shot is artifically shortened.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

When a greens edge slopes away from the middle and towards the fairway, rough, or a collection area is what ive always called a false front. They decieve your depth perception and when you carry the ball onto one of those things you never stay on the green. I hate them.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Look at the old courses. No tricks, just using the land, prevailing winds and terrian. A course that you have to play a dozen times to figure out the stupid quirks is ridiculous. PD Dye has one in Va. "The Gauntlet". Zoysia fairways, pretty dumb idea up here. Wait until you get to 17 (?) . tee shot is a 7 iron down hill then a 6 back up. 15' off the front of the green and you cant see the putting surface. Now thats ego. And bland courses?? what 5or6 under makes you tired? You cant use your distance to your advantage? Since when? So 150 yards with a 9 iron is the same as some else hitting a 5 that far??

Leave that driver at home for a change...

In my bag:

360 10.5 44.5 Prolaunch
300 Tour 15 EI-70
V-Steel 21 (POS!, bye bye) TA-7 Tour 4-PW 56 & 60 588's Anser 2 Laddie (Why??)Mini bottles of Jim Beam...Oops.

I just played Pacific Grove in Monterey. The greens are rock hard, and many of them are elevated, making it impossible to hold the greens. Then the fourth hole is a downhill downwind 270 yard par 4, but the eighth hole is a 425 yard par 4, upwind, and the 9th is an upwind 220 yard par 3, making the fourth hole play shorter than the 9th.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

Note: This thread is 5551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!