IGNORED

Putters: Mallets or Blades for high handicapper

Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is this strictly a matter of personal preference? I recently saw some consistent improvement in my game, but my putting after switching to an Odyssey 2 Ball got better, then worse. I liked the feel of my Taylor Made blade, but the Odyssey has MUCH better alignment aids.

Should I learn to putt better with the blade, even though its much tougher for someone of my skill to align? Or stick with the mallet, even though there are times it just feels too.... big?

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

I would say it is almost 100% personal preference. I am a high handicapper but not due to my putting. I HATE mallet putters. I don't like the way they feel in the least and do my best putting with a blade. The only way to find a putter is to use a putter. IMO

I like the alignment aid on the Nike Ignite as their IC is too "busy" for me but then again all I really want to know is am I centered on the ball - I don't need 5 lines on the top of my putters, single dot and I am happy. I have also found that I look less at my ball than I do the hole and let my brain take over. Get alignment, check hole and swing....

Andrew

Is this strictly a matter of personal preference?

I would say it is almost 100% personal preference

I would agree with that, I have switched several putters in the last few years, even a couple high dollar ones, and always come back to my old faithful. I don't think I am a good putter(32 putts per round), but feel is very important to me. Just take what you are comfortable with and practice, practice, practice, they'll be dropping no time.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Putter style is a matter of personal preference. I always liked looking down at a blade as opposed to a mallet. Until this season, I had never had a mallet in my bag. But I pulled my Scotty and replaced it with and old Odyssey that I cut down to 33.25' and my putting has improved drastically. My line is better and my speed is better. Simply put, I am making more putts. That's enough to convince me. What I like about the mallet is the face balancing. It is much easier to keep the putter face square and much more difficult to flip the toe over.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

Putters are like cutlery. You are safest using whatever is most comfortable in your hands.

I am a high handicapper but I became a much better putter when I ditched my mallet for a blade and if you are struggling with alignment, try the old Sharpie line.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Scientifically, a putter that has the shaft come from the center, with more weight on the ends then the center will give the best results

This is the head of my putter and I love it!

• Administrator
Scientifically, a putter that has the shaft come from the center, with more weight on the ends then the center will give the best results

Scientifically, if you hit the sweet spot, it doesn't matter.

The center shafting doesn't matter that much, and if it impedes your ability to hit the center of the club, you're really out of luck.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Could you elaborate on this. I can see a rationale for 'more weight on the ends' (at least WRT off-center hits), but the place where the shaft attaches to the club is not obvious (to me, anyway). Thanks.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Scientifically, if you hit the sweet spot, it doesn't matter

Let's see, if I hit the sweet spot but my putter is turned 3 degress out, I bet I will miss the hole!

It's not about the sweet spot on a putter, it is about a straight putt So Scientifically, if you use a blade with the shaft at one end, it is easier to flip around the shaft due to the weight difference. A center shaft with equal weigting on both sides will give a more balance stroke. There are many putters with center shaft setups, or pm me and I will tell you where I got mine. Also a piston style putt like Jack Nickalaus' is the most accurate

Go with what you feel is most comfortable to you. Preference will make a huge difference.

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

• Administrator
Let's see, if I hit the sweet spot but my putter is turned 3 degress out, I bet I will miss the hole!

That has nothing at all to do with what you said before. Nothing. You can leave the face open or closed just as easily with a center-shafted putter as you can with a heel-shafted putter.

So Scientifically, if you use a blade with the shaft at one end, it is easier to flip around the shaft due to the weight difference. A center shaft with equal weigting on both sides will give a more balance stroke.

Wrong.

Also a piston style putt like Jack Nickalaus' is the most accurate

Really, really wrong.

Please don't talk about things about which you know little.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In my experience, putting is TOTALLY a feel thing. If you like the way it feels, you'll putt well. I won a putter several years ago (a taylor Rossa or something) and since I was then poor and didn't have money to spend on clubs, I kept putting with it. It was a heavy beast of a putter that I didn't like the feel of.

Since then (after bending the shaft in a number of places after losing bets on puts) I finally broke down a got my Scotty Newport 2 and have been putting lights-out for the last year I've had it. It's got nothing to do with the SC being a fantastic putter, but everything to do with my mental game and how happy and confident you are with it.

I wish the rest of my game was as solid as my putting. :(

------------------------
Sticks

Driver - R7 425 9.5 w/ Fujikura E370 Stiff
3 Wood - 904RIrons - Eye2 Black DG StiffWedges - 52*4, 56*9 (sand), SM 60*4Putter - Newport 2 Studio 350g 34"

Please don't talk about things about which you know little.

And what gives the right to decide who knows what? I'll be willing to bet my resources far outweight yours for scientific knowledge of the golf swing and mechanics of putting.

Let's hear what putting stroke you think is best for an overall higher percentage chance of a smooth straight stroke, and why? Sounds like your questioning Jack Nicklaus as being one of the greatest putters that played You get your feelings hurt so you lower my reputation?

Dude, calm down. This topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Here for example. Simple use of the search button will yield several more threads regarding putting stroke path. There is no need to turn this thread into yet another battle over this.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I prefer the blade style...I don't think it matters. All feel IMO.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I feel like putters are more or less like women, there's one out there for everyone, regardless of size.

Your putter should give you a feel of confidence just looking at it. I'm not saying that once you do find a putter you love, you'll start rolling the rock like it's your job, but it will go a loooooooooong way in giving you confidence in your putting game.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

• Administrator
And what gives the right to decide who knows what?

When you say something that's "scientifically" WRONG, I (and anyone else with at least half a brain) gets to decide.

To others, let's stay on topic. You're doing great so far. And if I've not answered the original question: it doesn't matter what kind of putter a high handicapper uses. Length matters more, and so does being able to properly line it up, and so does suiting the eye of the user. P.S. Stay on topic.

Is this strictly a matter of personal preference?

Yep.

I recently saw some consistent improvement in my game, but my putting after switching to an Odyssey 2 Ball got better, then worse. I liked the feel of my Taylor Made blade, but the Odyssey has MUCH better alignment aids.

I would use the one you can aim more accurately. I can develop pace with just about any putter.

Should I learn to putt better with the blade, even though its much tougher for someone of my skill to align? Or stick with the mallet, even though there are times it just feels too.... big?

Your 2-ball may not even be a mallet.

Mine isn't but it looks like one to me. If that's the one you can aim, use it.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!