IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just thought of another option some people have gone to. Split the set, long irons (i.e. 3 & 4/5) in cavity and mid/scoring irons (5/6-pw) in blades.
What's in Your Bag?
Driver: Burner TP (9.5*)
3Wood: 906F (15*)
4Wood: 980F (17*)
Hybrid: Burner (19*)Irons: MP-67 (4-PW)Gap: MP-R 52*-07Sand/Lob: MP-R 58*-10Putter: Whitlam Jules ETBW/CentershaftBall: Pro V1Muroc Lake GC - Par 72White:71.5/124Blue:73.5/130

iT'S HARD TO BELIEVE ANYONE OTHER THAN tIGER WOULD CONSIDER BLADES...i GUESS IF GUYS PLAYING FOR A LIVING HAVE FIGURED IT OUT, SO SHOULD WE. iM SURE A LOT OF YOU GUYS "CAN" PLAY BLADES - BUT WHY ? iS YOUR GOAL TO LOOK COOL OR TO GO LOW ????

Titleist Hybrid Stand Bag White & Lime Green
- TM Tour Burner 9.5 Degree, Aldila Proto by You
- TM R5 Ti 3 Wood
- TM Burner Hybrid #3,#4,#5
- Titleist AP2 6-PW, Project X 5.5 Shafts- Titleist Vokey 50 degree Black Nickel- Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Satin 54 and 58 Degree- Titleist Scotty...

iT'S HARD TO BELIEVE ANYONE OTHER THAN tIGER WOULD CONSIDER BLADES...i GUESS IF GUYS PLAYING FOR A LIVING HAVE FIGURED IT OUT, SO SHOULD WE. iM SURE A LOT OF YOU GUYS "CAN" PLAY BLADES - BUT WHY ? iS YOUR GOAL TO LOOK COOL OR TO GO LOW ????

So, what your saying is that if you play blades you can't go low (unless your Tiger)? It's not about cool, its about confidence, feel, performance. That's what I get from my sticks. JMO

What's in Your Bag?
Driver: Burner TP (9.5*)
3Wood: 906F (15*)
4Wood: 980F (17*)
Hybrid: Burner (19*)Irons: MP-67 (4-PW)Gap: MP-R 52*-07Sand/Lob: MP-R 58*-10Putter: Whitlam Jules ETBW/CentershaftBall: Pro V1Muroc Lake GC - Par 72White:71.5/124Blue:73.5/130

I accidentally started using blades. Like you I lived with the general concensus that "blades are hard to hit and only for low handicapp solid ball strikers". One day at my local course this summer there was a Titlist Demo day and the clubs I wanted to try some Cavity back Cobras were in really poor condition. they looked like they were ready for the dumpster. They had a brand new set of 695 mb's so I thought what the heck and started hitting with them. I felt like I was putting on a clinic I bet I hit the practice green from 150 yards with a 7 iron 6 times in a row. The feel was phenominal. The only problem was they cost big bucks so I went Ebaying and got some lightly used mb 690's for cheap $. That was in mid august of this year since then I have droped my handicap by 1.5 strokes. Hey if they make me look cool then I guess I'll have to live with that

I only look cool from W-8 iron. The rest of the set is progressive cavities.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I play blades because I feel more confident and it allows me to hit the ball a little bit further, plus I can feel when I hit a bad shot.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I don't think it has to do with looking cool, or even going low, I mean Rory Sabbitini used Nike CCi's last year, and look how low he can go. Like it has been said before, I don't play blades for the reason you are saying, but because they give me confidence, workability, and feel, what's wrong with playing the irons that give me confidence?

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

well said, smoken bod...dang!

In my Procombo stand bag
Fusion FT-3
Fusion FT-3 3 wood
Citation 2 iron from the early 80's
Cronin Tour irons 4 - PW V-foil 56 Vokey wedge 58 Oil canV-foil 60 G2i CRAZ-E ProV1

whAt's wIth all the capItals and rAndom lower-case leTters?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Im having a similar problem ive seen the new ap2 and zb range and just have no idea which to go for , wot do you think ??

• 3 weeks later...
Im having a similar problem ive seen the new ap2 and zb range and just have no idea which to go for , wot do you think ??

Have you tried the AP2's yet?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

For me, it's to look cool

and go low.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

• 3 weeks later...
I like to think of my clubs as "Bladed" cavity backs.

Always had the cavity backs that came in the Big Bertha Iron size, so needless to say when I got these babies I thought I would break them.

They are so sweet though. Love the look, and the added feel of these clubs. Dont know why anyone would go with anything different.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

For me, I like a thin topline and a compact profile. I am a 8-handicap and therefore can hit blades.

That's why I use them.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

i used to hit cavity backs all they up until i got my x-forged blades, and after getting used to those, i will never go back. personally, the transition wasn't hard, i loved the traditional look with the thin topline, and now any cavity back looks too cumbersome when im hitting them.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

i used to hit cavity backs all they up until i got my x-forged blades, and after getting used to those, i will never go back. personally, the transition wasn't hard, i loved the traditional look with the thin topline, and now any cavity back looks too cumbersome when im hitting them.

Absolutely spot-on.

Couldn't agree with you more here - I'm slowly but surely replacing all my Mizuno MX-19 cavity-backs with a variety of forged blades, so far:
  • Titleist 690.MB 3-Iron
  • Titleist 695.MB 6 and 8-Irons
  • Nike Forged Blade 7-Iron
Whenever I have to to use the remaining CB irons, they do look unsightly at address but to be fair, do get the ball in the air and with a lot of distance even if you hit off-center.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Note: This thread is 1397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!