IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

You have to understand the structure and intended use of the Maltby Playability Factor ratings.

I think it's quite possible to understand it and still find it pointless or useless.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally, I don't think the benefits of blades outweigh the negatives in regards to amateur golfers. The actual amount of control and shot shaping ability that you gain with blades over a player's iron is minimal compared to the forgiveness that you gain with a player's iron. I'm not saying that a player's iron is forgiving, but you gain more forgiveness with a player's iron than you gain in control/shot-shaping with a blade.

As an amateur that has played blades and player's irons, I have yet to hit a shot with a blade that I couldn't have hit with a player's iron. I have also never stood over a shot with a player's iron and thought "man, I sure wish I had a blade for this shot." I have however, stood over shots and been glad that I didn't have a blade in my hand.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I don't think the benefits of blades outweigh the negatives in regards to amateur golfers. The actual amount of control and shot shaping ability that you gain with blades over a player's iron is minimal compared to the forgiveness that you gain with a player's iron. I'm not saying that a player's iron is forgiving, but you gain more forgiveness with a player's iron than you gain in control/shot-shaping with a blade. As an amateur that has played blades and player's irons, I have yet to hit a shot with a blade that I couldn't have hit with a player's iron. I have also never stood over a shot with a player's iron and thought "man, I sure wish I had a blade for this shot." I have however, stood over shots and been glad that I didn't have a blade in my hand.

The most important word in that post is the first one "Personally".

Blades are not the most forgiving and if your not the best ball striker they may not feel the best, also when hitting range balls they tend not to feel the greatest. Where as pros on the range don't use range balls... and they have fewer miss hits. But the best thing to do would be to go and try out clubs, then go from there.

In my :cobra: Bio Bag ~Tyler Westra~
:cobra: Bio Cell Driver 10.5 Draw/Stiff
:cobra: S3 E9 face technology Irons 5-GW/Regular
:cobra: Amp Cell 3-4 Hybrid/Stiff
:mizuno: MP-T4 Wedges 55, 62
:scotty_cameron: Del Mar (With two 20g weights) Cut about 34 in. (SuperStroke Grip 5.0)
:bushnell: Tournament series Pro 1600 Rangefinder
Puma Shoes (Red&Black) (Red&White) (Size 11)

Forged blades are definitely more pimpin' than cast cavity backs.

I think that's one of the most important factors.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Totally agree!!  #bladesforlife #yolo #buttery

I recently pimped out my i20's, studded them with rubies and amethyst.  Some glitter glue as well.  They look pretty tight but I still prefer the feel of blades.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jscomp

Forged blades are definitely more pimpin' than cast cavity backs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I think that's one of the most important factors.

Totally agree!!  #bladesforlife #yolo #buttery

#GrainFlowForgedBoner

Tyler Martin

I recently pimped out my i20's, studded them with rubies and amethyst.  Some glitter glue as well.  They look pretty tight but I still prefer the feel of blades.

these don't need to be pimped out :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So how does a mizuno ez forged feel compared to an AP2? Is there a big difference between manufacturers in forged clubs?

So how does a mizuno ez forged feel compared to an AP2? Is there a big difference between manufacturers in forged clubs?

They feel better than AP2's. That is my perspective.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!