IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

They feel better than AP2's. That is my perspective.

That suck the AP'S are way sexier.

Maybe. But they aren't sexier than just about anything else Mizuno makes. I'll take anything in the MP line over the AP2's.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always found AP's ugly

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Probably MP 54, they have progressive cavity backs

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Probably MP 54, they have progressive cavity backs

Yep. The MP H4's and MP 59's are also appropriate for low to mid handicappers, according to the Mizuno website.

Tyler Martin

I think they're very blocky looking, like Lego golf clubs.

I beg your pardon??  Are you suggesting that Lego golf clubs wouldn't be awesome?!?!?!  Maybe Duplo clubs would suck, but regular Lego clubs would kick ass!!!

The 59's are gorgeous.

I don't know.  I mean, I wouldn't kick them out of bed for eating potato chips, but I think (based on their website because I'm no Mizuno expert) that they are the least sexy of all of the current MP line.

I beg your pardon??  Are you suggesting that Lego golf clubs wouldn't be awesome?!?!?!  Maybe Duplo clubs would suck, but regular Lego clubs would kick ass!!!

I don't know.  I mean, I wouldn't kick them out of bed for eating potato chips, but I think (based on their website because I'm no Mizuno expert) that they are the least sexy of all of the current MP line.

Honestly the images don't look as good as they do in person.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Yonex had an interesting blade design at the PGA Show that included a pocket of titanium inside the the muscle of the forged head. Since titanium is lighter than steel, this to some extent emulates the effect of a cavity back by biasing the weight distribution more to the perimeter of the club head. They were dead sexy, too.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Yonex had an interesting blade design at the PGA Show that included a pocket of titanium inside the the muscle of the forged head. Since titanium is lighter than steel, this to some extent emulates the effect of a cavity back by biasing the weight distribution more to the perimeter of the club head. They were dead sexy, too. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/91140/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/91141/] [/URL]

Hella shex-shay...

Colin P.

Yeah, it's the same principle as the MP-59s. But getting the Ti plug inside the blade is pretty darn cool.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

So how good as far as handicap should someone be before they switch from SGI's to players irons or GI's? Then from there how much better do they have to be to switch to blades?

So how good as far as handicap should someone be before they switch from SGI's to players irons or GI's? Then from there how much better do they have to be to switch to blades?

There is no direct correlation between handicap and what irons you should play. It's all about ball striking, and more specifically, consistency in ball striking. But there's a reason that a lot of pros are playing cavity back/perimeter weighted irons. For me, I don't necessarily find muscle backs harder to hit than smaller cavity backs (think MP-69 vs MP-64). The main difference I see is in trajectory.

Tyler Martin

So what are you playing? How much different would you say it would be to go from a G series irons to mp series?

Yonex had an interesting blade design at the PGA Show that included a pocket of titanium inside the the muscle of the forged head. Since titanium is lighter than steel, this to some extent emulates the effect of a cavity back by biasing the weight distribution more to the perimeter of the club head. They were dead sexy, too.

I'm not understanding this.  (Because, for one, I'm not a metallurgist ;))  I thought that "forged" meant that it was basically "molded" from a solid chunk of metal.  How, exactly, do they get the titanium inside of a solid chunk of metal?

It must involve those guys who build old ships inside of tiny bottles, right?  Or the guy at Disneyland that sells you balloons that are inside of other balloons. :)

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with "no ****ing idea." :-)

Stretch.

I'm not understanding this.  (Because, for one, I'm not a metallurgist ;))  I thought that "forged" meant that it was basically "molded" from a solid chunk of metal.  How, exactly, do they get the titanium inside of a solid chunk of metal?

It must involve those guys who build old ships inside of tiny bottles, right?  Or the guy at Disneyland that sells you balloons that are inside of other balloons. :)

Yes, it can be from 1 chunk of metal. But I think forged basically means pounded and shaped. Casted means the metal was liquefied and then poured into a mold. What they probably do is heat the steel to high temps to make it workable. Then they put the titanium inside and bend half of the metal over, then pound it so it becomes a club. This way the Titanium is inside the metal. So basically the steel is folded over the titanium.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 1396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!