IGNORED

How many people plan annual golf trips?

OrlandoGolfBlogger
Note: This thread is 4585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We go every year in May (long week-end) to Boyne Mountain (Michigan). It is a 8 hour drive but really worth it. Usually 7 rounds in 4 days but this year we played 9 rounds in 5 days... It is golf, golf and more golf... a bit of poker at night.

Sounds like my kind of vacation!

Dave

I do around 6 golf trips per year with various mates or clients . So far this year have played Muirfield and North Berwick on one trip . Last month played Portmarnock , Royal County Down , The European Club and The K Club. Next trip is july 4th to Old Course at St Andrews on the Friday and then over to Doonbeg for the weekend. Also got a little golf in the US during the family hols this summer playing Whistling straits and Medina in Chicago , hoping to play torrey pines and then will play a couple of tracks in Vail Red Sky and Counrty club of the Rockies..........so much golf so little time

For years, I've went with a bunch of my buddies on our annual golf trip (which is coming up in 3 weeks). Location usually changes each year, but we usually go 2-3 hour drive away from home. Number of guys has been as high as 16, but for the past few years it's been 12. Our golf schedule is as follows:

Thursday: 36 holes
Friday: 36 holes
Saturday: 36 holes
Sunday: 18 holes then drive home

The past two years, we've changed the format somewhat. Used to be just random games; prizes such as 2-man best ball, etc. But two years ago we're all sitting at dinner one night and realized 6 of us went to public school and 6 of us went to private school in high school (we're all 40-ish now). Even at our age, high school sports are big to a lot of people in this area. So the private guys started talking smack wondering what would happen if we played a Ryder Cup format; public vs private. Of course my immediate comment was "we'd kick your ass!" .....and the rivalry began. Ever since, the entire trip has been Ryder Cup format. Team play, individual...we get it all in (we don't do alternate shot simply because we all want to play our own ball). Winner gets bragging rights (huge) as well as a nice dinner paid for on Saturday night. So far, the public school guys are 2-0.

Last year we took it to a new level. Again...we're all friends and have been since our teenage years, but the public school guys show up in "uniform" last year just to rub it in. 4 different shirts, two different hats all with a custom Ryder Cup logo. We really do have a blast and it's great camaraderie.

I also started going on a "smaller" trip the past two years with another friend. That's 36 holes Fri/Sat and 18 on Sunday before coming home. So yeah...I'm lucky enough to go on two strictly golf trips per year.

And tomorrow I leave for our "family" vacation. No kids, so my vacation is pretty much all golf. I'll get at least 6-7 rounds in while I'm gone on that. Good thing Wifey Dearest loves the pool! I play early so I'm back to the condo in time to do whatever it is she wants to do.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

For years, I've went with a bunch of my buddies on our annual golf trip (which is coming up in 3 weeks). Location usually changes each year, but we usually go 2-3 hour drive away from home. Number of guys has been as high as 16, but for the past few years it's been 12. Our golf schedule is as follows:

That sound really fun. I'm going to start going through my list of golf buddies and see if I can't start something similar to that :) Oh, "GO PUBLIC SCHOOL TEAM!!"

:)

Dave

• 3 years later...

I would love to hit the lottery and take a nice long golf trip to Scotland and Ireland. That is my ultimate goal and hopefully it happens one day! Meet at the turn with a boot of Guinness...

12 of us go here every November : http://www.nationalgolf.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml

Ryder / Presidents Cup type format.

Good times at a brilliant golfing facility.

I'd love to but my wife is a very casual golfer and none of my daughters have developed an interest in golf.  Since I don't really vacation without my family, my opportunity for a golf vacation is somewhere between slim and nil.  I might be able to do an overnight golf "vacation."  Does that count?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I searched high & low and could NOT come up with any deals whatsoever at Myrtle last winter - must be a different deal in the fall... granted I'm looking for really good deals, not mediocre deals.

Originally Posted by MrSandman

For the money, Myrtle Beach has some great deals in the fall. Some people complain about Myrtle, but if you are just going for some hardcore golf, it is perfect.

I think most of those shorts allow cargo shorts as well, so fourputt and lemay should be all set

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Topper

I'd love to but my wife is a very casual golfer and none of my daughters have developed an interest in golf.  Since I don't really vacation without my family, my opportunity for a golf vacation is somewhere between slim and nil.  I might be able to do an overnight golf "vacation."  Does that count?

Topper, the whole idea of annual golf trips is to get away with friends for a few days. Your family will be fine without you for 2 days. Go and have fun.

I'm about to be a dad here in November, so I am definitely not going to be able to do anything for a few years in terms of a 3-5 day trip. I do know that he will have a golf club in his hand as soon as he's able to stand up on his own and he for sure will be my future playing partner.

I just recently took up golfing with my father this year (serious golfing - 2-3x a week) and I've never had so much fun. The wife obviously doesn't understand what golf is to us because she's not a golfer, so the legend and history of the game really means zilch to her lol. She'll be more than happy to get rid of us for a few days in the future though I'm sure. Of course, I'll need to set up several spa days for her in return.

Key to a happy life, marriage and keeping golf as your #1 mistress = Everything is give and take. 50/50 with the wife. If she's not happy, you're not happy - period .

Hopefully I can at least plan something next year though. Would love to play Waialae CC or Pebble Beach .

Getting ready for my first one. Me and 3 buddies are planning a 4 day trip to SC around a Clemson football game. 36 Thurs, 36 Friday, 18 Saturday (along with tailgating and the football game), 18 Sunday, Fly home Sunday night

Originally Posted by Topper

That's why you need to vacation in places like Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, etc.  Plenty for everyone do to and you can golf.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Note: This thread is 4585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!