IGNORED

Hybrids Vs Long Irons

Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Hybrid Vs Long irons

• Long Irons
    • Hybrids
    • Both

What do you use or prefer.

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

For me - Long irons, nothing better than a pinseeking two iron out of the middle, also more versatile love hitting "the Stinger".

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

I seem to hit my long irons (3, 4) pretty much like a rocket. I haven't found the hybrid that works for me yet. If it's not broken, don't fix it, I suppose.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R5, 9.5 degree
Fairway woods: 973F
Irons: RAC, 3-AWWedges: Vokey spin milled, 56 degreePutter: White Hot #7Ball: Pro V1

I have no plans to give up my 3 or 4 irons.

Replacing a 5 wood this morning with a hybrid that I ordered a week or so ago. The golf shop left me a voice mail that the club is in....going to pick it up when they open this morning and head out to a course and see how it works out for me.

I've got my fingers crossed.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I'm more partial to long irons (more versatile IMO) but I do carry 1 hybrid (16* Rescue Mid). I carry 3-LW, the 16* Rescue Mid and a 14* Mizuno Driving iron. I don't own any fairway woods. If I ever find a really nice 2 iron I might use it to replace the Rescue Mid. I like the hybrid just fine from the fairway and off the tee but can't hit it worth a flip from deep rough (likewise the Driving Iron). They just don't cut through the grass the way a blade does. If I have a long shot out of deep rough I have to hit my 3 iron. Sometimes I come up short on those shots and know I could have made the green with a 2 iron. On the plus side, if I'm just outside the 200 markers and still in the fairway that Rescue Mid is the go to club. Hits it nice and straight and lands it pretty soft.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

I go with a 1,2 and 3 hybrids and 4+ on the irons. The hybrids are fun but nothing sounds better than hitting that 4 iron perfect.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Both, I tee off with either my 19* hybrid of 3 iron when I need some consistency. Off the deck I alternate between my 4 iron and 23* hybrid.

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

I am getting some more consistency back in my game so the hybrids are coming out one by one.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

After my trip to the range yesterday I took my 3 and 4 irons out of my bag and replaced them with a 21* Ram hybrid. If the rain holds off today and I make out it and things go as well on the course with the hybrid, I may consider replacing my set with one that has hybrids.

*excited*

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Hybrids are to versatile a golf club for me not to have one in my bag. And the fact that ALOT of tour pros prefer them as a replacement for at least one of their long irons makes my decision to carry them very easy.

If a professional golfer has trouble with long irons, there is no place for one in my bag.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

For me - Long irons, nothing better than a pinseeking two iron out of the middle, also more versatile love hitting "the Stinger".

I totally agree with you on that, I'm a traditional golfer and I love nothing more than hitting those long irons

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

i have a 2 hybrid and i couldnt hit it if my life depended on it. I consider myself reasonably well knowledged when speaking about the golf swing but i cant figure it out. I have a feeling that the shaft i have feels a bit stiff though because i can hit my mates 3 hybrid really well. I think ill give it another go

Whats in my bag:

Burner HT 13* Reax Regular Shaft
R7 19* Reax Regular Shaft
AP1's 4-PW Project X 5.5 Shafts Vokey Spin Milled 60.08 56.10 Rossa Siena 4 Pro V1"Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s**t"

I bought a complete new set last year and went with 3 and 4 hybrids instead of the long irons. I love them and found them to be very versatile and forgiving, hell they even check up on the greens. My only real issue is that they do hit the ball very high and where I play it's real windy so it can be an issue. I do love the consistency of them.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

I have a 25 degree hybrid that I have been carrying but I am hitting my irons so well that I am considering putting my 4 iron back in my bag.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I love my 3 iron and would not change it. It's simply the best for tight fairways, low punches and the sort.

I am considering a 18* hybrid however.... the gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron is hampering my attack at par 5's on the longer courses and there is no way I can hit a 2 iron off the deck.

Driver SS 93-95mph
6 iron SS 77-80mph

Driver: Burner 9.5 S
3 Wood: G10 SIrons 3-pw: MP-57 Dynalite Gold SL S300Wedges: 52 and 56 CG12 60 X- Forged CG/MDPutter: TiffanyBall: NXT TourI have no brand loyalty

I am considering a 18* hybrid however.... the gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron is hampering my attack at par 5's on the longer courses and there is no way I can hit a 2 iron off the deck.

If you're anything like me you'll get a 2iron hybrid and love it for a while. Then, as the handicap drops, you'll start to feel like it's kind of an obnoxious club because while your 3iron has about a 10 yard window, right to left, within which it reliably flies, the stupid hybrid will get down all over the place (comparatively speaking), to the point that you don't try to get on in two from 235 if the green is tight

anyway because a pure swing that you KNOW is pure can still spray it within at least a 20 yard window - which on some greens means a penalty stroke. Then, as you start to hate the hybrid, you'll hate yourself more because you bought new wedges taking the hybrid into account. Now you're at the club max so you'll keep the hybrid in the bag and alternate between wanting to break it and loving it for the rest of your life, all depending on when it decides to screw you. Just my 2 cents. . .
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!