Sign in to follow this  
Cody

Woods vs Long Hybrids

Note: This thread is 4396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 posts / 1143 viewsLast Reply

Alright so lately ive been working on my game and mostly my longer irons. I was hitting them absolutely fantastic. However i went and pulled out a 3 and a 5 wood. Could NOT hit them. The other day i was up at golfsmith messing around and hit some longer hybrids and hit them beautifully.

Is it viable to just pick up a longer hybrid or 2 to replace a 3 and 5 wood?

It seems like a lot of people are getting on the hybrid bandwagon, and I don't blame them. It seems like they're more forgiving and certainly you can hit them out of many different lies giving them versatility. However, I still cannot get away from my long irons, and I can't see myself replacing my fairway metal with a hyrbid either. I suppose I am giving myself a minor disadvantage in the longer rough, but I probably hit my 2 iron off the tee 3+ times a round (and in the fairway too). And it gives me control too, low ball flight with workability. I guess I value 3+ tee shots more than a shot or two out of the rough, and I couldn't see myself using a hybrid off the tee (unless it was a par 3). I guess it depends on what your game demands.

You sir are in the opposite position of me..

I am currently dropping my hybrids in favor of fairway woods and long irons.

I find my long irons much, much nicer than any hybrid, theres not feel with a hybrid, i cant hit one a little longer, or a little shorter, i cna with an iron.

While everyone is on the hybrid bandwagon, i cant see one in my bag again for a long time, ill instead be putting in a 2 iron or 5 wood again.

Well I don't use hybrids for my longer irons. I can hit my 3 iron great(which is my longest iron). A hybrid of a loft of that to my 5 or 3 wood would be just to replace the clubs i can't hit without going into some longer irons i may not be able to hit.

I find that the clubs you put in your bag should depend on what type of conditions you are playing. That said, I will put a 2 iron in my bag if the course is dry, windy, or has short rough. I'll put my 2 hybrid in the bag if the rough is deep, it's wet, or it's calm. The hybrid is designed to fly high and land soft. The 2 iron is a low-flighted club that is easier for better players to control. To be honest, right now I'm playing driver, 3, 2-hybrid, 4 iron on down. My hybrid, however, is tweaked with a tipped X fairway shaft and extended a bit. It's my quasi-5wood/2iron. It all depends on what you're looking for. I switch depending on the conditions.

I recently swapped out my 5 wood for a 2 hybrid. Even though the 5 wood has a larger head/face and (I'm assuming) is more forgiving, I just seem to hit the 2 hybrid better. Maybe it's the slightly shorter shaft...I don't know. It costs me a little bit of distance, but I feel like I make up for that in straighter shots.

I just dumped my 5 wood for a 4 hybrid. I really liked my 5 wood, but the hybrid hits it exactly the same distance, and is a much more versatile golf club.

Switching out my long irons for hybrids was the best thing I could have done for my game. And its nice to have a full bag of clubs I can actually use now.

I use 4 iron 3 hybrid, and 3 wood, this combo seems to fil all of my distance gaps nicely. I also find that my hybrid is really versatile and I can seem to hit it nicely of the tee.

I think the reason why hybrids are becoming so popular is because the head is shaped more like an iron, so its easier to hit the ball off of the fairway or from the rough than a traditional wood.
It seems like a lot of people struggle with their woods unless they are hitting off of the tee.

Note: This thread is 4396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!