IGNORED

Drills to make swing inside out

Note: This thread is 3182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Another trick to try is instead of thinking of hitting the ball directly from behind, think of hitting the ball slightly on the inside.

Put the ball on the tee with the logo facing directly backwards, then rotate the ball a little so the logo is slightly on the inside towards you. Concentrate on hitting the logo, not the back of the ball.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

put your feet together and swing the club with your elbows tucked to your body like you are holding a handkerchef under your arm pits. practice this motion for about 20 swings.

This did wonders for me. I warmed up on the range with an extra glove tucked under my right arm. Every drive was longer and straighter than I've ever hit. On the course, I just imagined holding that glove under my arm and got basically the same results. Try it!

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

Yeah, I'm thinking I have a flying right elbow. All those baseball swings are so ingrained in me. Going to try the glove under right armpit.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

stick your driver cover or a small towel under your right armpit and swing with it. Star with 3/4 shots.. once you get the 3/4 shot down keep going until you can get a full swing. Do this as much as is needed. This will eliminate the flying elbow, and make you go down the correct path.

Sean

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11S 9 degree.  Set to upright 8 degree.  Aldila RIP Alpha 60s X flex shaft.

3 wood: TaylorMade 13 degree RocketBallz (coming shortly).. X Flex Matrix X Conn.

Hybrids: 2iron / 4iron Taylor Burner Rescue.

Irons: 5 - PW 2008 Model Year Titleist AP2

Wedges: 49*, 54* 60* Cleveland 588 Rusties.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi Long.

Balls: Titleist Pro VX

Bag: Titleist Black / Red Staff

• 2 years later...

is it still possible to be coming over the top (out/in) with the towel in place?

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Three words, "Stack and Tilt".

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by King Cobra II

is it still possible to be coming over the top (out/in) with the towel in place?

yes

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Three words, "Stack and Tilt".

I didnt know stack and tilt was a drill, only kidding. There are positions in the stack and tilt swing that make it easier to hit from the inside though

That is what I like about the S&T; methodology. It is helping you creat the in-to-out path so the draw is you natural shot shape. Some of the S&T; drills are very effective for this.  Check out the Youtube Golf Evolution videos.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by HytrewQasdfg

I used a cardboard box.

Get a cardboard box a foot or so square. Picture an imaginary line going straight back from the ball. Place the cardboard box just outside this line. The front corner of the box should be just short of the ball by a couple of inches.

The idea is that if your club travels on a straight line or on an inside out path you will miss the box and still hit the ball cleanly. If your club travels outside-in you'll hit the box.

It doesn't take long for you to either develop and inside-out swing or start cursing.

+1... best drill, period.

Towel or whatever under the back armpit fixed every single slice/fade woe I ever had.

i recommend it to anyone who has trouble with an over the top swing.

I tried everything under the sun to fix my fade. 6 months ago my father in law suggested using the towel or just pretending something is there and don't let it fall.

instant fix. Instant. Was amazing.

Hope it works as well for others as it has for me. Now it comes as second nature, I don't even think about my swing anymore.

• Upvote 1

What helped me is to practice with the ball lined up a ball outside where it normally is, forcing you to go inside out

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

I suffered from a bad out to in and while I have not played a round yet with the changes early range work has been promising. Basically I started with a sort of slow motion ~25% swing and what i did was concentrate on keeping my back armpit closed and dropping my hands directly down. Then once that felt natural enough I started working on, at about the same time I start the downswing, sliding my hips out towards the target. Once I could do that consistently with a slow swing I sped it up a little more and went though it again so on and so forth until I was at a full swing. The last thing I worked on was keeping the face closed. I hit some ugly shots also as while I'm concentrating on other things my head started coming up but as those movements got more natural things  came together nicely or so I hope we shall see this week!

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

When I'm working on my swing path I place a tee in the ground about 1" - 2" outside the ball and 1" behind the ball.  Generally, then, in order to hit the ball but not the tee I'm going to have to have at least a straight through swing if not an inside-to-outside swing.  I'll sometimes combine this with having a towel or sponge under my right arm.

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

Would this hip toward the ball move cause heal hits?  I think this is the problem that I am having in my OOT swing.

Originally Posted by swingcoach

An outside to inside swing is an effect caused by something else. Identify the cause and you'll have an idea of what and how to practice. No matter what swing aid you use (outside your swing) if you use the wrong sequence of events, you will ALWAYS swing outside to inside.

Think about your right elbow. Most coaches will tell you to keep your right elbow close to your body to swing from the inside. However, if you are using your right side to swing (right hip moving toward the ball), you will FEEL like you are swinging the correct way, but your club head will always be outside of the correct line. The solution... from the top - shift the weight to the left side, then use the left side to rotate your hips away from the ball, NOW - keep your right elbow close and keep rotating your hips AND shoulders through. Let the rotation of your shoulders square the face and not the wrists and forearms.

Drop the right foot back, take the club back too flat, leave the arms suspended on the transition, hit it only with your pivot and hip rotation, don't rotate the shoulders on the downswing, leave your arms stuck behind your body.  Not sure why anyone would want that kind of swing though.  It will definitely get you hitting pushed duck hooks if you think that is the scoring key that you are missing .

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Not exactly a drill.

Imagine there is a ball waist high to your right (assuming you are right handed) inline with your foot line.  Try to hit this imaginary ball and your real ball on your down swing.

• 1 year later...

I've been working on taking it more inside. I was fine with the 3 wood and driver with the outside in swing (a nice power fade) but not with the irons---hitting some shanks and mostly hitting it on the heel. I placed a water bottle about 16 inches directly behind the ball . It was tough going at first, resisting the urge to fan the clubface open and make that big outside takeaway move but eventually I was able to avoid hitting the bottle. Closing your stance will help (placing the right foot behind the left a few inches.) Also, if you your left arm is aligned with the shaft of the club, a forward press (I wouldn't recommend this for 3 wood and driver though) this will automatically cause the backswing to start more inside. Unfortunately this forward press de-lofts the club and slightly closes the face which is okay for short irons but you can start to hook it pretty good as you get into the mid and long irons. And of course on the downswing you need to start it from the ground up, clearing the left side by rotating the hips. This will shallow out your downswing so you won't do an OTT move and hit the bottle on the downswing.  CLEAR that left hip.....not too soon. You just need to time it perfectly. That's all. Easiest game in the world. As if.  I wish I could still find the center of the clubface with the outside in takeaway but it's just not working. Going to have to draw the ball for awhile. Not the easiest ball flight to control in my opinion. Too easy to overcook it. Maybe a weak left hand grip will save me from the dreaded left side miss.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• 2 years later...

You have to understand how a ball's spin affects its flight path. For a right handed golfer, a clockwise (when viewed from above) spin causes the ball to curve to the right (slice). A counter clockwise spin causes the ball to curve to the left (hook). (Of course the primary rotation of every shot is backspin. But on a slice the axis of backspin rotation is tipped to the right; on a hook it is tipped to the left).

A bad slice is usually the result of two components: An outside in swing path coupled with an open clubface at impact. This causes the club face to "scrape" across the surface of the ball at an angle making it spin clockwise. A severe hook results from a closed club face at impact together with the club approaching the ball from the inside. Of the two components, the club face angle affects ball flight more than approach angle. But the two together cause the most extreme ball curving.

An inside out swing with an open face causes a straight (no curve) push to the right. An outside in swing with a closed face causes a straight pull to the left.

The ideal flight path is a draw, which is produced by slight, controlable counter clockwise spin. To accomplish this, you have to have the club face square (perpendicular, not closed or open) to your target line at impact and have the club face approach the ball slightly from the inside. This imparts a slight counter clockwise spin. The ball will start a little to the right, then curve back to the center. A fade is the opposite of a draw.

Swinging as if you were trying to hit a baseball to right field produces the inside out swing path. Starting out by over exaggerating a corrective motion can be helpful. So, your friend is right that intentionally hitting severe hooks may help eliminate the slice. But what he didn't tell you is that to hit the "duck hook," you have to swing to right field with a closed club face. This can be counterintuitive, but to make the ball curve left, you have to swing to the right and vice versa. It is sort of like having to hit down on the ball with your irons to make it go up.

Note: This thread is 3182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!