IGNORED

Best Place to Live for Year-Round Golf

JYB
Note: This thread is 1882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anywhere where the low doesn't get lower than 55. The high is a non-issue. La Quinta and Indian Wells is primetime Winter territory. LA, OC, San Diego, North San Diego, Ventura Great Summer time living. I've never been to Hawaii, nor played golf in AZ so I can't speak on that, but hearing everyone's reviews, they sounds like great places. I've also been lucky enough to play in Thailand. 85* - 95*F pretty much all year, maybe a bit of humidity, but, super country. Great place to be! (Except there's no good Mexican food there...)

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 4 years later...
On July 5, 2008 at 2:29 PM, x-forged said:

San Diego is where its at. There are tons of courses to play. The problem is there are a lot of golfers in this city of over a million people so the numerous courses are often crowded.

Ah, yes. It seems that when you get the ultimate weather, you get the over-crowding issue. I personally prefer having less crowds and that means less than perfect environment. But if we're talking about year round golf... I would move to Arizona in a heartbeat, except that my wife doesn't like the heat. Oh well.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On July 5, 2008 at 11:28 PM, JYB said:

Okay. Here's the big question :

Where in the USA is the best place to live if you want to golf year round? Name specific towns/cities, the size of them, where they are and how many courses are around.

Florida, Arizona. Texas is realistically year round if you can deal with 40° winters and hard ground.

On 7/5/2008 at 0:28 AM, JYB said:

Okay. Here's the big question :

Where in the USA is the best place to live if you want to golf year round? Name specific towns/cities, the size of them, where they are and how many courses are around.

Jacksonville, Florida. 

World Golf Hall of Fame is right down the road in St. Augustine, and there are numerous local public courses that are cheap.   Where I play, I pay $49 a month for unlimited range balls, use of the practice putting green, chipping green, sand trap, and I get to play 18 holes for $14.   If you want high end courses, you can try the Players Club in Ponte Vedra.   

And... this last week we have seen 70 degree temperatures, sunny skies.  

On 1/16/2012 at 4:43 PM, localhawaii said:

One more vote for Hawaii.  Move to Honolulu, play year round golf. Meet some friends on the bases to play more golf.  Meet some friends with nice country club memberships, play more golf.   Island hop, play more golf.  The weather is beautiful, the women are beautiful, and depending where you play, the greens are beautiful. Half the holes on every course could be made into a postcard! smile.png

DSC_5918.JPG

Well, hell yeah.  Hawaii.  

Discussion like this are fun but often not very realistic.  Basing a decision on where to live solely on year round golf is a pleasant fantasy.  Cost of living, location of relatives & friends, activities other than golf, etc... are going to enter into any decision.

But, throwing out all other factors, I would move to the Monterrey Peninsula, live in a home adjacent to Pebble Beach and become a member at Cypress Point.  When it is too cold and/or rainy, I would take my jet to Palm Springs.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

8 years since initial post but Id have to vote dfw area. Cost of living is ok and even with extreme weather, it changes so fast it doesnt mess up lots of golf. Roughly five million in the metroplex if im not mistaken. Hundreds of courses and fees are reasonable. Lots of slow play...but I suspect thats everywhere.

Aloha, new here but enjoying the golf talk. My bias leans firmly on Hawaii being a great place to live & golf. Once the sun comes up you can tee off, always wearing shorts, almost never a sweater, and the courses are varied and range from goat path to Hualalai. But anyplace you get outdoors will work. In a few weeks I'll play in Nashville, and Vegas, one of my favorites courses is in Arizona, and I learned the game in New York. I read the whole thread has no one made the case for Alaska?

loving the Islands,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

There are two factors IMO- weather and courses, some may have the weather, but not enough courses to keep me happy, I like to wander. But then again some may have the courses like Florida, but it just gets too hot, if you've never been to Florida in July then don't dream about it- it's hell on earth.

I don't know what the answer is, I would say California but I just don't know.

I've been to a few pretty attractive places, but I'd have to take a pretty close look at the Carolinas.  Yes, there are a few days each year when its too cold to play golf, but that's balanced by the rarity of 100-plus days.  Having been to places like Palm Springs and Phoenix, I know that those blazing hot days are pretty common.  

An area I haven't seen mentioned here is the British Isles.  Even at the coldest times of year, the Gulf Stream keeps things pretty temperate along the west coast, with typical highs in the winter around 45 to 50 (I just checked this for Ballybunion), and lows around 40.  I know that's pretty cool, but very playable.  Of course, there is an issue of limited daylight hours.  At the warmest, its virtually never too hot for golf.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've been to a few pretty attractive places, but I'd have to take a pretty close look at the Carolinas.  Yes, there are a few days each year when its too cold to play golf, but that's balanced by the rarity of 100-plus days.  Having been to places like Palm Springs and Phoenix, I know that those blazing hot days are pretty common.  

An area I haven't seen mentioned here is the British Isles.  Even at the coldest times of year, the Gulf Stream keeps things pretty temperate along the west coast, with typical highs in the winter around 45 to 50 (I just checked this for Ballybunion), and lows around 40.  I know that's pretty cool, but very playable.  Of course, there is an issue of limited daylight hours.  At the warmest, its virtually never too hot for golf.

My experience with such things is a lot more limited that most on this site, but I love Carolina weather. The big trip each year is OBX and its been great whatever time of year we end up going.

Texas and Florida are too flat and too humid, but it is possible to play all year.

That leaves AZ, CA, and HI for perfect conditions a lot of the time.

Yesterday in Nevada at 5,000 feet it was 65 degrees with 9 % relative humidity and no wind. It feels great to be alive.

Edited by ppine

I assume the question is basically one of weather.  In that case the Texas, Arizona, and Florida are all bad.  The people who chose those must be North Easterners who went on some nice golf vacations and heard it doesn't snow.  But > 110 degrees in the desert summer = no fun.  40 degrees and 30 mph winds in the desert winter = no fun.  90 degrees and 99% humidity in Florida = no fun.

The answer for the BEST (not just good) place in the U.S. is coastal southern California.  Literally 365 days of comfortable golf weather if you have rain gear for 20 of them.  Of course that excludes cost of living but we're not compromising in this thread, are we.

disclaimer:  I don't know much about the Carolinas but I'm under the impressions it get very humid there as well.

21 minutes ago, allenc said:

disclaimer:  I don't know much about the Carolinas but I'm under the impressions it get very humid there as well.

The Carolinas DO get humid and moderately hot, but to me its more tolerable than 110 degree desert summer days you mention.  The Carolina coast also gets the occasional hurricane, but its definitely not going to fall off into the ocean in an earthquake.  :scared:

All kidding aside, how "available" is golf along the California coast, as far as number of courses and level of demand?  One of the best things about the Pinehurst area of NC is that there are dozens of courses within a half-hour drive, and its generally not a problem to find a tee time.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'm in San Diego, played four times last week at three different courses.  The weather was great.  January brought us a lot of rain which probably wiped out maybe 10 days of the month that were unplayable by San Diego standards... and a lot of you saw that Torrey Pines tournament, our worse weather in a long time.  My guess is about 340 days a year are nice for golf here.

And, there are a lot of courses in the area.

I have immediate family living in HI.  Been over there a bunch.  Played golf in Feb., Nov., Sept and December (just this past Christmas holiday season).  I don't believe there is a better year-round state in the US to play golf.

What I like best, is that you never feel like, 'wow, it's really getting HOT out here.' Similarly, you're never reaching in the bag for a warming layer of clothing.  Honestly, you just don't think about ever being hot or cold.  Somehow, the weather is just about PERFECT every day of the year.

A few years back, we played over Thanksgiving weekend.  Played in shorts and a thin golf shirt.  Last few holes (around 4pm) clouds rolled in, wind picked up a bit.  Wife and I don't think anything of it.  We pull into the cart barn and all the workers have jackets on zipped up to their chins and hats on.

"What's up with those guys?" says the wife?  We hung around and had a couple of after-round beers on the patio.  Cold?  Not even CLOSE!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 1882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!