IGNORED

"Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" by Ben Hogan

iacas
Note: This thread is 1994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE=wachesawgolfer;232974]

Ben Hogan has created in

Thanks for that -- those are some interesting points.

There was a time a year or so where I tried to focus on swing plane, and found it messed everything up, so I dropped that route. I later took lessons and that was a huge step forward. As for the Hogan book. My better half tidied it up 'somewhere,' and not sure where that 'where' is.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

• 2 weeks later...
As stated previously, Hogan explains his swing. Early in his carrier, Hogan had a problem with over drawing/hooking the ball. This book describes the swing and grip he used to hit a slight fade. Most beginner golfers do not need to hit the ball with more fade, but with more draw.

All that said, this is a great read with even better illustrations. The illustrations are the work of a genius. I have read it cover to cover ten or more times. Great book, but not recommended for the beginner.

For the beginner I recommend the following
Practical Golf by John Jacobs for the long game
Dave Pelz Short game Bible for 140-40 yards off the green
40 yards and in (including putting) Tom Watsons getting up and down.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

As stated previously, Hogan explains his swing. Early in his carrier, Hogan had a problem with over drawing/hooking the ball. This book describes the swing and grip he used to hit a slight fade. Most beginner golfers do not need to hit the ball with more fade, but with more draw.

I disagree. There is a difference with a beginner golfer's banana slice and an educated golfer's baby fade. Hogan's book will give any golfer a great understanding to a solid swing. Sure, it will lead a golfer down a path that will favor a fade. But the book will also certainly help correct a banana slice [and duck hook for that matter].

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

i just finished reading this book and i think this book is a must read for all golfers. i really like the way he describes posture and setup myself, very athletic.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

i just finished reading this book and i think this book is a must read for all golfers. i really like the way he describes posture and setup myself, very athletic.

FYI: Here are the table of contents in "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons"

The Fundamentals page 13 1. The Grip page 18 2. Stance and Posture page 37 3. The First Part of the Swing page 61 4. The Second Part of the Swing page 84 5. Summary and Review page 109

Thanks for this thread! I am new to the game of golf and am so glad I bumped into this board.

Just ordered a copy at Amazon.

Kind regards,
Chris D.
Driver: 08 Speed LD F 10.5*
Hybrids: A3OS Boxer 3H(19*) A3OS Boxer 4H(22*)
Irons: (4-AW) Victory Red Full Cavity Irons
Wedges: VR PW 45*, VR AW 50*, SV Tour Black 56*, SV Tour Black 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: Sasquatch Tour Stand/Carry Bag (Victory Red/Gray)Shoes: Air Tour SpectatorBalls: D2...

Thanks for this thread! I am new to the game of golf and am so glad I bumped into this board.

Welcome, you won't be disappointed. In the book, nor this board...

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I am brand new to golf and so far have had no instruction minus my fellow soldiers who give me pointers when we go to a golf course. Right now I am stationed in S.Korea and am trying to learn by myself. Probably not the best way to learn something but I learned how to shoot that way

I am considering getting this book, would that be recommended for a total newbie? Newbie as in someone who didn't know that you can't use a tee every time you hit the ball. Thanks

Get Hogan's book, read it now, and read it years later as well. His insights are always useful, no matter how small changes in swing theory come and go. Hogan's book is, in a way, timeless. It is a good text for all levels of golfers. The part on the grip alone makes it worth the price.

RC

I agree with RC. The information on grip alone will pay for the book. If it's the only book you buy for your library, it will all be valuable read.

Hit'm straight!

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

I am brand new to golf and so far have had no instruction minus my fellow soldiers who give me pointers when we go to a golf course. Right now I am stationed in S.Korea and am trying to learn by myself. Probably not the best way to learn something but I learned how to shoot that way

The lessons are super easy to read and comprehend and you should be able to get through one in an hour. Read one lesson at a time. Study and practice it for a week or until you feel totally comfortable with it. Don't move to the next lesson until you feel you can. You don't really need to be at a range either. Especially with the first two lessons,

The Grip and Stance and Posture you can do those in a room. In five weeks you'll have a great swing.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Yes! Especially if you are a newbie. This book was written by Ben Hogan and the swing principals still hold up today.

Keep in mind when Hogan wrote this book he was fighting a hook so the grip he teaches in this book is a weak grip. If you are fighting a slice I recommend a stronger grip than what Hogan teaches...stronger meaning the "V"s on your right and left hand pointing more toward your right shoulder as you take your stance (for right handed golfers). In the book you will notice Hogan's "V"s are pointing toward his left ear at address, a weak grip. Hit 'em Long & Straight! --John

can someone help me understand this "v" thing he is talking about in the grip lesson?

in my bag
hibore xls 9.5* S flex
sumo2 sasquatch 3 wood 15*
a2os 3 hybrid
sc2 4-pw mpt raw haze 52* 588 56* wedge xtour PM grind 60* cleveland classic #2

can someone help me understand this "v" thing he is talking about in the grip lesson?

the v area is between the thumb and index finger is pointing

pic of left wrist of hogan

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Note: This thread is 1994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!