IGNORED

"The Little Red Book" (and His Other Books) by Harvey Penick

iacas
Note: This thread is 898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I actually need to go back and reread these books because, well, it's been awhile for one, but also because I remember he had some anecdotes in there about their course, and now that the Tour plays it and I recognize it, I'd like to remind myself what he said about it and be able to visualize the stories now.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've said it before, and this is one of the few times I will repeat my opinion. 

Just about any golf book will have some tidbit in it, that is helpful to the person reading it. It just depends on how the person reading it, understands what they are reading. 

Penick's books are what I call "old school" information on golf. Old school info is a basis for modern info. It's one of the building blocks for modern info. 

I took quite a few things fron Penick's writings that helped me become a better golfer. One was to keep a note book on my game that allowed me to refer back to when needed. 

Another example of Penick's writing was a part in his book where a student asked him to show him how to get out of a bunker. That his sand game was "killing him". Penick told him that he wouldn't show him how to get out of the sand, until he showed  him how to avoid those sand traps in the first place.. The lesson here being to hit the ball to safer landing areas when ever possible.

Another example is when one of his students thought he would have no problem with his next day opponent because his opponent had very poor swing mechanics. His student lost to that poor swinging guy. Don't ever under estimate your opponent might be the lesson here. 

Penick's books are quite helpful to any golfer. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I read this book also. It was recommended by a playing partner. 

The biggest thing I remember from Harvey Penick was when to chip and when to pitch... I still use that in my decision making.

• 8 months later...

It's winter and time to reread a few golf books.

One of the tidbits from Penick , and Hogen, was to jot down those tidbits. My memory is awful, so started writing down those things I believe can help my hacker game, and reread them just before going into the range. I believe it's helping me stay a little more consistent

• 4 months later...

Re-reading the Penick books are part of my annual pre-season preparation along with Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. Also when I hit a slump during the season, I will often sit down with Harvey and a favorite libation. Amazing how often I pick up a pointer that helps me get out of the slump! Great books for any golfer.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Penick's "Little Red Book" is one of the best golf books available. I have a copy myself. One of the very few I kept when I downsized my library. All golfers should read this book. 

In My Bag:

• 7 months later...

Started my winter golf reading this week. Always start with TLRB. Man it has some great tidbits and reminders:

-Take dead aim-gotta always remember that-once again, gonna spend winter practice reinforcing that. The last two winters have used every iron and wedge in my bag shooting at 35 and 60 yard targets, just for the feel.

-Take one aspirin, not the whole bottle-a little change make a big difference. Someone else added: and make only one change at a time and if its for you practice it until it becomes the new normal.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, uitar9 said:

-Take dead aim-gotta always remember that-once again, gonna spend winter practice reinforcing that. The last two winters have used every iron and wedge in my bag shooting at 35 and 60 yard targets, just for the feel.

So long as your "dead aim" is not at the flagstick from even 50 yards out…

4 hours ago, uitar9 said:

-Take one aspirin, not the whole bottle-a little change make a big difference. Someone else added: and make only one change at a time and if its for you practice it until it becomes the new normal.

I can agree with that… so long as you're actually doing this:

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Herkimer said:

In this book Harvey said that the putter was the most important club.  He said that's the club you use "to finish the deal." 

He's wrong. It's the driver, if you're limiting it to one club, and "irons" if you're including a class of club(s).

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 12/5/2017 at 8:32 AM, uitar9 said:

It's winter and time to reread a few golf books.

One of the tidbits from Penick , and Hogen, was to jot down those tidbits. My memory is awful, so started writing down those things I believe can help my hacker game, and reread them just before going into the range. I believe it's helping me stay a little more consistent

So true! I can't recall the number of times in a season when something has occurred to me, and I've thought "Wow! How could I forget about that!?"

1 hour ago, iacas said:

He's wrong. It's the driver, if you're limiting it to one club, and "irons" if you're including a class of club(s).

There's a story in Penick's LRB about the time he entered a PGA tourney where the hot, young newcomer, Sam Snead, was also entered. Penick's buddy found him on the practice green and told him that Snead would be teeing off soon, and they should go watch him. Penick wrote that when he saw Snead hit his tee shot he decided, right then and there, the the Tour would not, and could not, be his living! 

Despite his writings to the contrary, tell me which club is the most important in the bag?

40 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Despite his writings to the contrary, tell me which club is the most important in the bag?

This.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

So true! I can't recall the number of times in a season when something has occurred to me, and I've thought "Wow! How could I forget about that!?"

There's a story in Penick's LRB about the time he entered a PGA tourney where the hot, young newcomer, Sam Snead, was also entered. Penick's buddy found him on the practice green and told him that Snead would be teeing off soon, and they should go watch him. Penick wrote that when he saw Snead hit his tee shot he decided, right then and there, the the Tour would not, and could not, be his living! 

Yes, Snead was one of the best ball strikers in his era. That is what won him tournaments. No one raves about Snead's incredible putting stroke, but everyone raves about his full swing.

snead.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 11/27/2018 at 6:27 AM, uitar9 said:

Started my winter golf reading this week. Always start with TLRB. Man it has some great tidbits and reminders:

Iacus-I hear ya..its an indoor tent dome...just trying to drop a ball at a specific place-I try to imagine a tree in front of me I have to stay under or trying to drop a ball after a bunker.

I don't flag hunt...the last year I have tried to direct my approach shot toward the opening to the green, if there is one, more of a bump and run.

• 1 month later...

I'm an outlier here. I really didn't like this book and it's probably my least favorite golf book.

I'll confess, I read it a long time ago, so I remember few details.  I do, however, remember feeling it was trite and cutesy. I found it almost impossible to get through.

All the positive reviews here make me think I missed something. Maybe I'll take another look next time I see it on someone's bookshelf.

• 10 months later...

I was in a reading mood tonight. I finished a novel off and then went to our home library to find something new. What I found was what looks like a completely untouched copy of The Little Red Book. I didn't even know it was in the house. My father was a golfer (complete hack but loved the game), and quite the reader, so it was funny to find it in mint condition, although it was probably too instructive for him.

I am about halfway through and its just amazing stuff to me. Simplicity at its finest. Can't wait to finish it tomorrow, and I am going to make note to pull it back out around spring. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Funny this thread popped up again. I was looking for something to read yesterday. I picked up Penick's LRB thinking I would read a few pages. 

Those "few pages" turned into an every page, cover, to cover read. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. 

There are 10s of 1000s of golf books available to golfers. Quite a few are great reads, while quite a few are not so good.  Penick's LRB is easily a top 5 read. It's also one of the very few original writings on the subject of playing golf. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:

• iacas changed the title to "The Little Red Book" (and His Other Books) by Harvey Penick
8 hours ago, Patch said:

Funny this thread popped up again. I was looking for something to read yesterday. I picked up Penick's LRB thinking I would read a few pages. 

Those "few pages" turned into an every page, cover, to cover read. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. 

There are 10s of 1000s of golf books available to golfers. Quite a few are great reads, while quite a few are not so good.  Penick's LRB is easily a top 5 read. It's also one of the very few original writings on the subject of playing golf. 

I would say great minds think alike but i didnt even know I had it lol. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!