IGNORED

"How I Play Golf" by Tiger Woods

iacas
Note: This thread is 3889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just ordered a copy.....can't wait for it to arrive.

I was playing a round with my father this week. He made two references to the book when giving me a pointer on my chipping and later with a put I missed.

I'm under no illusion that our swings will ever work the same....but a few tidbits of strategy and course management may apply nicely.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I've checked it out from the library a few times. I like the quality of the pictures, because most of them have hand-drawn illustrations and I hate that. There aren't too many golf books that I'd like to own, except the for the Feinstein behind-the-scenes type books. Most of them read like snippets from Golf Digest articles, so I'd rather flip through it in a Barnes & Noble or check it out from the library.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

Several people have commented that the book seems out of date.

The book came out in 2001, so the contents are 9-10 years old. But what do you guys think has changed in the 10 years, that needs to be reflected in the book? Are you looking for more up-to-date stories and anecdotes? Has Tiger's game changed significantly, that the contents of the book will change?

In other words, what in this book won't stand the test of time, like Hogan's Five Lessons, for example?

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

• Administrator
But what do you guys think has changed in the 10 years, that needs to be reflected in the book? Has Tiger's game changed significantly, that the contents of the book will change?

Tiger's changed his swing quite a bit since the book was written. It's the very definition of "out of date."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
In the book, he mentions that every iron shot should take a dollar sized divot after the ball. Is that normal? On most of my good shots, I just sweep the ball off the ground.

* * * *Has Tiger's game changed significantly, that the contents of the book will change?

To the extent that the book is called "How

I play Golf" then the changes Tiger's gone through do indeed date the book b/c he doesn't *play* golf exactly as described in the book. If it were Tiger's description of basic golf fundamentals, I'd have a different opinion. Btw, I have the book and there are a couple pointers that helped me think through some fundamentals. Essentially, it was hearing it from another source.

My copy finally arrived yesterday.....good condition hardback on ebay for $7 (shipped).

I'll just say that it's the best $7 golf purchase I've ever made.

I'm just barely into the first couple of chapters and already picking up some great tips and insight.

It's funny to me how his section on putting predates the Utley publication by several years....yet is so simular. I've been doing the same thing with reducing my grip pressure and it's certainly helping me roll the rock a bit better.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

one of the first golf books i bought 10 years ago ... great book i still read it every once in a while for the commentary on the mental game.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

• 1 month later...
Found this book at a clearance book store sale for $5. I'm not a Tiger fan, actually I dislike him but I respect his knowledge and there is plenty of it in this book. Also, this book is helpful because Tiger goes into how he manages the course and his game. You also get an inside look at his thought process on many of his big, clutch shots. There are tons of great illustrations and photos which help a great deal in golf instruction. Well worth picking up.

In My Bag:
Driver: ERC Fusion 10* stiff
3W: Big Bertha Fusion 13* stiff
5W: Big Bertha 2004 15* firm
7W: Big Bertha 2004 21* firm3H: IHS 20* med firm4H: IHS 23* med firm5I-PW: IHS reg steelAW: Mercedes Catalyst Hybrid 52* SW: Mercedes Catalyst Hybrid 56*LW: Mercedes Catalyst Hybrid 60*LW: FX 64*

• 6 months later...
Well worth reading, I like the way this book is set out & his Tiger Tips are good as are the tour stories he relates. The mental aspect is excellent & I picked it up for next to nothing in a bookshop sale...bargin!

What's in my Titleist RC10 Cart Bag? Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo Square 5900 10.5* Aldila VS Proto 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Nike SQ Mach Speed 15* Hybrid: Nike 5H Ignite 23*
Irons: Nike Ignite 4i-Sw Wedges: Vokey Design 252*-08 / Oil Can Spin Milled 60*-08
Putter: Odyssey White Ice 2Ball CS 34"...

I didn't take a whole lot away from this book. Except the matchplay stuff. That was pretty amusing.

Yeah, I never really liked it either for it's golf tips, but it does have some interesting stories.

• 3 months later...
Great book. I got it from someone as a gift and couldn't put it down for months. Still read it from time to time, too. It's fun to go back to specific time of Tiger's career and get to know how he pull those shots off or how he set his mentality before important events.

As for the instruction, I don't think it's very 'mechanic' like other golf instruction books. By reading it all the way through, one can only assumes that Tiger is mostly a 'feel' player. Some of his instructions on certain shots are a little bit difficult to understand, not to mention using them in the practice session.

All in all, this one is good and enjoyable for me.

• 3 years later...
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker

I got the book for 2 dollars on ebay. Best golf book i have ever read and i look at it whenever i have a problem. They say it is the #1 selling golf book of all time

Got it on Amazon for a penny, hardcover, only catch was $5 shipping.  It's a great read with good advice.  Even if you don't heed the advice the Tour anecdotes are worth the reading.  Awesome stories in there.

Picked it up for $1 at a library book sale a few weeks ago. Lots of great pictures, some good advice. I agree that the tour anecdotes are probably the best part of the book.

Russ B.

Note: This thread is 3889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!