IGNORED

Dave Pelz "AlmostGolf" Foam Practice Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 2001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love mine. I grab 2 and hit them to an empty lot right in front of our house. I'll then walk over, and hit the two of them back. I'll do this for at least an hour every time I get a chance. It beats the treadmill on most days. I hit my 8 iron around ~80 yards with them. They do exaggerate the spin of the ball, and ANY amount of even barely perceivable wind will play a major role in your ball flight.

I have hit them into of our cars numerous times from ~80 yards, and they have caused absolutely no damage.

They are well worth the price!

Ron

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anybody else uses these ?

I have a little "fairway" in my yard about 80 yards long. The balls seem to fly like real golf balls ... just 1/3 the distance. If I hit toward the toe ... it slices ... just like on the golf course. I love em. Let's me get in a lot of hits while saving time and money.

Obviously need driving range and real ball to know distances but nice for quick practice.

• 1 year later...

when somebody talks of "foam" practice balls, some get the idea that they are "squishy, nerf-like". While some do have a rubbery feeling and are soft, the ones I prefer are rather firm, feel like a golf ball, fly like a golf ball, act like a golf ball but don't go as far. The "Almost Golf" ball (trade name) are pretty good in that regard and are not that expensive at around $9 or less for ten. I have read they are filled with CO2.  This is not a first, there have been golf balls in the past with liquid centers, with gas centers, e.t.c.  and even myths of exploding golf balls.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any comment on how they compare to the callaway hex foam balls? I can't get Almost Golf Balls here without paying exorbitant shipping so I buy the callaways locally. I wonder what I'm missing, if anything? The Callaways are closed cell foam and feel decent off of the clubface, nothing like a real ball but they have a nice little pop to them, way better than wiffle balls or those hollow plastic ones.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

They are nice, I use them for my son in the back yard. They could probably break a window if you were close enough. I would not use them inside unless it is a very safe area. Awesome for kids outside. They also feel better when hitting them than any foam ball. They are harder, but as stated already fly a lot shorter than a real ball. Really fun though to hit some shots with.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 2 years later...

anyone ever use almost practice golf balls , i'm thinking of buying a driving range mat for the garage .and just want to hang a heavy old comforter to hit into with these almost golf balls .does anyone think this will be ok .. all the nets iv'e looked at do not get very good reviews... and i will need to move it daily . so don't want to take up and down a net etc . people say these ball wont damage or break glass . but it says you can hit it about 100 yards with a driver. so i'm thinking it may damage something or not be stopped by a comforter. 

8 hours ago, esayers said:

anyone ever use almost practice golf balls , i'm thinking of buying a driving range mat for the garage .and just want to hang a heavy old comforter to hit into with these almost golf balls .does anyone think this will be ok .. all the nets iv'e looked at do not get very good reviews... and i will need to move it daily . so don't want to take up and down a net etc . people say these ball wont damage or break glass . but it says you can hit it about 100 yards with a driver. so i'm thinking it may damage something or not be stopped by a comforter. 

They're ok, but if you can hit real balls you get a much better feel. That being said, they are better than nothing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have s bucket of them, ok for indoor practice when real balls can't be used. This winter I am using The Floppy Be because I can hit it of the mat in my office against a cubicle partition. Flies pretty well for a ball covered in yarn. 

Dave :-)

• 1 year later...

Here's a unique practice ball.
Probably a good item for teaching young kids and even good for practice at home for players who utilize home nets or indoor setups.

The almostGOLF ball is 1/3 distance and 1/3 weight and is a safe alternative to real golf balls that can be used in your neighborhood.

Obviously, we use real golf balls on the range and at the golf course, but the almostGOLF ball is ideal for everywhere else. We actually first tried them at an RV park, which worked out well. If you hit your pitching wedge 100 yards then you can expect the almostGOLF ball to fly 30 to 35 yards.

And this is what we like best about it: it’s the almostGOLF ball’s true-flight characteristics. We were able to hit fades and draws just like our regular ball.

The yellow 36 ball box is $34.99 with free range bucket

almostGOLF.jpg

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I have a couple of dozen of these short flight critters. They are a decent training aid as long as I remember to use my normal swing tempo/speed when using them. 

I seen others, and myself included, that due to their limited distance, the golfer swings much faster than they normally would. They might tend mess up the golfer's normal swing when using their normal game ball. 

Of course the flip side, is that for the golfer wanting to increase their swing speed by swinging faster, these limited flight balls are quite useful. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have some white knockoffs similar to these that are good for the kids -- I can have them hit in the front yard and not worry about house/car windows -- although they do get a lot of long looks from cars driving by, none of the neighbors have said anything yet :)

Chris - Single Length Irons Guy

No Driver (yep)
Pinhawk Single Length Fairway Woods ( 3, 5, 7 )
Pinhawk SL Single Length Irons ( 4 thru PW ) 
Pinhawk SL Single Length Wedges ( A, S, L )
Happy Putter

• 1 year later...

I like these balls for practice, but nearly $12 a sleeve of 3, they ain't cheap!  I guess buying them in box of ten would make more sense at around $24. 

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• iacas changed the title to Almost Golf Balls Pricing
37 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I like these balls for practice, but nearly $12 a sleeve of 3, they ain't cheap!  I guess buying them in box of ten would make more sense at around $24. 

I see the mods have moved my post into an older thread (as well they should), it also shows how much the price has gone up. A box of ten used to go for around $9, now more than twice that amount. (that was a few years ago however). I do seem to suffer from chronological impairment from time to time.

"James"

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I see the mods have moved my post into an older thread (as well they should), it also shows how much the price has gone up. A box of ten used to go for around $9, now more than twice that amount. (that was a few years ago however). I do seem to suffer from chronological impairment from time to time.

Here's 36 for $39:

Enjoy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!