IGNORED

Dave Pelz "AlmostGolf" Foam Practice Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 2001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm at the putting green at the range, and there is some little 7 year old chipping hiiiiigh in the air and backspinning them within 5 in. from the cup everytime. Turns out he was using these "Dave Pelz AlmostGolf Balls". I looked online and they are practice balls, supposed to only go .3 of the distance of real balls...

Anyone used them? I might get some just to look good at the range. lol

What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had some and lets just say I was mistaken on the actual distance of my backyard. They're more or less pointless for me- I can choose to hit them into the woods, at my house or the neighbor's yard.

"What is best about a great victory is that it rids the victor of the fear of defeat. 'Why not also lose for once?' he says to himself; 'now I am rich enough for
that'" -Nietzsche

In My Stand Bag:
R7 Draw 9.0 Deg Stiff Flex Driver AMF Progression 3 Wood SUMO2 3/20 Deg Hybrid & CPR 4/24 Deg...

I had some and lets just say I was mistaken on the actual distance of my backyard. They're more or less pointless for me- I can choose to hit them into the woods, at my house or the neighbor's yard.

Did you try them on an actual green? Did they spin a lot?

What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

no but maybe I will now- if a 7 year old can spin em back maybe I finally can ?? They are pretty fun though if you just want to mess around as there is no real danger of breaking any windows (I've hit more then a few on my house). Now that I do think about it though, they did go incredibly high with my 64. Maybe I'll sneak a few out with me on the course tomorrow and switch them on my dad's tee shots. He just got new irons today so that could be a pretty priceless reaction when his 200 yard tee shot (he tees off with a 3 iron) goes less then 100...

"What is best about a great victory is that it rids the victor of the fear of defeat. 'Why not also lose for once?' he says to himself; 'now I am rich enough for
that'" -Nietzsche

In My Stand Bag:
R7 Draw 9.0 Deg Stiff Flex Driver AMF Progression 3 Wood SUMO2 3/20 Deg Hybrid & CPR 4/24 Deg...

I bought some late last year. I hit them in my backyard every now and then. I find they fly further then they are supposed to. I like them though and would recommend them if space is an issue.

L4V M Speed
Insight XTD Hybrid 3 Wood
Insight XTD Hybrid 5 Wood
Idea A30S Hybrid 4 and 5 Irons
09 Burner Irons 6-AW CG14 WedgesF7 2 Ball Putter w/ dyssey Jumbo Grip Grom Bag

Hey,

I posted this a while back, and figured that I would post it here again.

"I loved the Almost Golf Ball since the day I bought a dozen. The thing I love most about them, is they act like a golf ball should. Contact is solid, but the contact noise is not super realistic. They just felt right to me. You can also hit draws, fades, and even back them up. The main reason I got them, is we have a few nice 100 yard long parking lots that are slightly angled back towards where I hit from, so I hit the balls and they roll back to me, or at least my end of the lot. Just have to throw towels over the drains or you lose a bunch of them. I have at least 100 of the balls now, and haven't lost many in grass or on the lots. After repeated use for 2 years (more for some) there is some wear and tear on the balls, but nothing that would effect them in any way. If you hit them in the spring, they will not plug in the ground and they sit up on longer grass. They travel approx 1/3 the distance of a real ball, and are just wonderful (and the wife doesn't mind me chipping around the house with them)."

I still love them, and hit them almost every day that I don't play... just helps to keep the swing grooved...

Josh

WITB
Driver: Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White
3 Wood: Nike SQ Dymo 
Hybrid: TaylorMade SLDR
Irons: Ping i525 Retro Spec
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (52,56,60)
Putter: Never Compromise Gamble Limited Custom

Balls: Titleist ProV1

I have some of these and they are a great practice tool. I just pull out a wedge and hit them over the house. I hit them about 100 with driver and I normally hit about 260, so they go a little more than 1/3 distance, but the ball flight characteristics are realistic. I highly recommend these balls for practice.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

• 6 months later...
I have the shag tube with 24 yellow almost golf balls and I love them. I haven't hit them with my driver so I can't say how they are that way. I got them to practice my short game,during this time of the year(10+ inches of snow). I set a soft sided cooler about 12 inches square at the end of my hallway and pitch them from the living room into that cooler, about 20 feet away. They are house friendly as in I have had one hit a window, the tv and my stereo when picthing across the living room and they just bounce off. I also use them in my apartment yard to work on my flop shot without fear of injury, or buying a window or windshield. Sometimes the neighborhood kids like to stand down range about 15 - 20 yds and try too catch them from a full swing flop shot. I belive Dave Pelz recomends them at his short game schools also. JMHO

Thomas " Hitman" Heitman

I think the floppy would work better for me as I could use it anywhere in the house. I hit real balls in my basement into a net. I could use a good mat though which would allow me to tee it up for driver hitting.

anyone have any links to good cheap mats.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

Another option: birdieball.com . You can't use them inside, but they fly no more than 50 yards or so.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

try callaways hex areodynamics practice balls there great go farther then thought though need at least 130 yards for driver

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

with so many balls I don't play with anymore, why buy yellow range balls to practice with? I have a shag bag with over 200 balls just from a few years of chucking old ones into a bucket.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

with so many balls I don't play with anymore, why buy yellow range balls to practice with? I have a shag bag with over 200 balls just from a few years of chucking old ones into a bucket.

i dont have enough room for full swings in my yard

i dont have enough room for full swings in my yard

I assume you mean you don't have enough space for the ball to fly? My yard isn't big enough, but I hit balls into a net in the basement, which is ok, although not seeing the ball flight kind of sucks. I have this fear that I'm developing a wicked hook without even knowing it.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

I assume you mean you don't have enough space for the ball to fly? My yard isn't big enough, but I hit balls into a net in the basement, which is ok, although not seeing the ball flight kind of sucks. I have this fear that I'm developing a wicked hook without even knowing it.

yea thats wat i meant

Note: This thread is 2001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!