IGNORED

"The LAWs of the Golf Swing" by Adams, Suttie, and Tomasi

iacas
Note: This thread is 2596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

after struggling with three swing modifications for over a month at golftec (I have also been working on other drills - but just started on addressing my movement), my coach gave me a print out of the LAW's and said I am a width player.  We made some modifications to my form based upon this and I immediately began to feel much more comfortable again.

Unfortunately this book is out of print/not available new from Amazon.  Any other websites that are recommended until I find a used copy?

Also, what players on tour today are width?  Any videos (golftec has one of Craig Stadler) I can reference

switching from right to lefty so: 

tinkering with a plethora of equipment and brands; I now feel like its all about mechanics and less equipment- stay tuned

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted by RoyHotPower

after struggling with three swing modifications for over a month at golftec (I have also been working on other drills - but just started on addressing my movement), my coach gave me a print out of the LAW's and said I am a width player.  We made some modifications to my form based upon this and I immediately began to feel much more comfortable again.

Unfortunately this book is out of print/not available new from Amazon.  Any other websites that are recommended until I find a used copy?

Also, what players on tour today are width?  Any videos (golftec has one of Craig Stadler) I can reference

I believe the book says Tom Lehman is also a width player. I just went to this method and using info for the w player I have been striping the ball. Tried all the rest but being based on body type, this method just made a ton of sense.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• 2 weeks later...

Particularly the thought that many of not most pros have some combination of these swing patterns.  I am 66, have a 10 handicap from the blues at my club, am not particularly long off the tee (240+ or -), but I have noticed over the years of playing (46 yrs), that as I have experimented with the different teachings (and lessons), the primary variables for me seem to be; a. the turn (I am a width player at 5'10 and 200+ pounds), and a loose (untense) body/arm motion.  This last especially seems to bridge the gap of the various swing types.  Meaning, I can get the plane, weight shift, hand cock, etc., right and try to hit it with my supposed power source (physical strength of which at my age I do not have a lot of, but seem to do better relying on my flexibility (which is pretty good at my age due to ongoing exercises).  The difference seems to be in accuracy.  I am more accurate using the "hitting" actions but the distance is better (consistently) using the flexibility/relaxed body/swing for the rhythm mode.  It's hard to know what to think or believe having been around as long as I have, gained the weight over the years I have, taken as many lessons as I have, etc.  I think I'll focus on the short game, my putting stinks!

after struggling with three swing modifications for over a month at golftec (I have also been working on other drills - but just started on addressing my movement), my coach gave me a print out of the LAW's and said I am a width player.  We made some modifications to my form based upon this and I immediately began to feel much more comfortable again.   Unfortunately this book is out of print/not available new from Amazon.  Any other websites that are recommended until I find a used copy? Also, what players on tour today are width?  Any videos (golftec has one of Craig Stadler) I can reference

I have the book. PM me your address and you can get it for what it costs to ship it to you.

• 3 months later...

I read this book and refer to it often. I think its excellent. I am using the ARC method with long arms/legs and flexible. I bought this book after following a flat swing path, which was disastrous for my game and went from a 16 HCP to 8 in about 2 years fate reading this book.

The ARC swing is somewhat un-intuitive and its very much from the ground up (feet, legs hips, then shoulds/arms) and takes a good amount of practice. The hip movement is a little tricky as well, for me at least. You need to practice and play often. I fight the tendency to lead with the upper half of my body.

I think this book makes alot of sense if you think about how leverage and path work and relate to given set of conditions (body type)

• 4 years later...

After 20 years of roller coaster golf (I could shoot mid 70's on a good day and 100+ on a bad day) I decided it was time for a change. I had been using a "method" from a book written by a popular golf teacher of the early 90's, for most of my golfing life. What I didn't know, was that as I aged, my body type (flexibility, strength, shape, etc.) changed incrementally as well. This had an insidious effect on my swing over time, and I found it harder and harder to "get it back" each year. The final straw came in 2013, when I was playing in a big tournament in late summer. I shot an 87 during my practice round, but on the first day of the tournament (the very next day) I shot a 113...effectively knocking myself out of the tournament on day 1. After the tournament, I decided I was ready to put my old swing to bed....for good. After tinkering briefly with the Stack & Tilt method, I suddenly recalled something about a book I'd heard about years ago....That book turned out to be the Law's. I researched the premise of the book and found a copy on Ebay, cheap. I haven't looked back since.... The Law's isn't a method, it's a model. That may sound like semantics, but there really is a world of difference. Once I took the Law's tests and discovered I was primarily a 'Width' player (I'm 5'11", 225 lbs.), things began to improve quickly. Now, I'm a hodge podge mix of body parts (average height, large chest and legs, very long arms for my body, limited upper body flexibility, but above average lower body flexibility). The Law's helped me to understand what my dominant power source (DPS) was and how to use my unique body build to find my 'natural' swing. It's a process, with alot of trial and error; but the book helps to eliminate common pitfalls and streamline the process for you. After two short, upstate NY golf seasons, I'm happy to say that my swing is on track and my consistency is better than ever. I'm on final approach to my own "perfect swing". I can't say enough good about this book. It's a departure from anything you've ever read. Do yourself the favor and try it.

• Administrator

I don't understand why a 20 handicapper is stumping so hard for a book.

I'm glad you have something you like but the proof is still in the pudding, no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I understand your point... But, being that the book is out if print, I'm certainly not working for the publishing company...lol... Hey, I'm no pro. But I know a solid and unique idea when I see one. I'm a big believer in the Law's because it's produced tangible results for me in such a short period of time (ball striking wise). But as you know, ball striking is only half of the equation. You still have to get the ball in the hole. I met a pro recently who told me that I was on the right track and that my ball striking was pretty solid overall. He said "keep hitting it like that and your scores will come down". That statement and the fact that my swing finally feels " natural" for the first time in my life, is all the validation I need to stump for a book.

Note: This thread is 2596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!