IGNORED

The Daly Planet!

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 6619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

just finished watching it..too bad he didn't make it over Niagra Falls..hehe If those arrow diagrams were true it looked like he wasn't even close. he really freaked out in the helicopter huh..crazy. Anyway..looks very entertaining.

very entertaining.

+1

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

• Administrator

Who saw last night's show (the British Open one)? Suffice to say, I'm glad Vijay was shown the way he is, because by all accounts that's how he is: a jokester, a fun guy, etc. Just not so much with the press.

JD was funny. It was a much better show than the first one, I think, which was itself already 5x better than the Natalie show. Now this one was 10x.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The more I see of JD the less I like him. He just tries too hard to push forward this red-neck/don't-give-a-shit attitude that he comes off as pure trash.

But then there are times where he is shown just playing and not hamming it up for the cameras, and it is not so bad. Even better it is nice to see him interacting with fans (but only when he forgets the cameras are there).

I will watch the show, as I still find it interesting, even if he is not so interesting. Maybe he will grow on me or maybe I will start to dislike him even more. Either way he is good for golf and I have to give him credit for that.

edit - I also liked seeing Vijay. For some reason I always liked him. He seems intense and focused on the course from Thursday through Sunday but relaxed and care-free any other time. If anyone saw some of the recent things on The Golf Channel with him and Michael Cambell or him and Rocco on Golf Acedemy (or maybe Playing Lessons from the Pros) they would see how different he is. Another good thing to see is the Champions Profile on Michael Cambell where he credits Vijay for a tip on bunker play that helped him win the Open.

JD was funny. It was a much better show than the first one, I think, which was itself already 5x better than the Natalie show. Now this one was 10x.

I hope they keep doing it exactly this way, because not only is it fun to see JD with his hair down but also Veejay,

and Pat Perez and Tom Pernice and whoever else may be hanging around. JD may think practice rounds suck, but I think I could watch more than a few of them that close and personal. Can you imagine Natalie posing her way through that episode saying all of two words? I did think it was kind of crappy the way he stood up Perez on Day 2, however. I can just hear what you guys would be saying if Mickleson pulled a stunt like that (naaaawwwww don't want to go there again......)!
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

I think the Daly Planet is great. For some sick reason, I enjoy watching professional golfers when they're not on the course and their being totally candid with one another.

Vijay called J.D. out this past week on the show, saying that J.D. lost his ambition and he'll never be a true champion because he doesn't like to play practice rounds.

They're both friends, and that was demonstrated, but I like to see that honesty. Sometimes you don't get that from players when they have a CBS or NBC microphone in front of them.

Matt Karlak
a.k.a. The Undaunted Duffer

Driver: GT Xtreme
3 Wood: EVO5 Wood: Tight LiesHybrid: 3 ironIrons: X16's 4-SWPutter: AnserBall: DT SoLo

I watched the show and thought it was pretty good. I really couldn't tell if Vjay was kind of put off by having to play with Daly though. When he called Daly out on losing his passion for the game he seemed a little perterved at having to play with someone who didn't want to be out there playing.

I do like getting to see these guys interact without having to put on a show though. I think if they keep up the show should be sucessful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Wow, haven't been here in a while, but what an unpleasant person. I know you've been banned but I would love to know in what capacity you work for the tour. Or maybe you are just talking out of your @#$. All I know of Vijay is the blip on the DAly show and I followed him for about 13 holes last Friday. Following him it was very clear that his playing partners seemed to enjoy his company. He was cordial to the fans and even somewhat lighthearted one time when he hit a bad shot. To tell you the truth I was pleasantly surprised on the way he did act. I had always seen him as a bit stuffy.

Temporarily banned. I don't care for personal bans. But when a person's first two posts are of the variety he had, well... His ban was only one week, and I've since lifted it to see if he can be nice. I doubt he'll come back though.

Thanks for getting it back to the topic, NM. On with the "Daly Planet" talk... the show is over now, right?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hate to stay off topic, but I found a great interview of Vijay from 2001.

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/i..._e4yupckc.html There are definitly some questionable things from his past that I didn't know about, but what is clear is that he is a family guy dedicated to the game who really appreciates what golf has done for him. My favorite quote from the article:
Every day is Christmas for us, but we still complain about everything. We're the biggest complainers -- it's too hot, it's too windy, the greens are too hard.

Temporarily banned. I don't care for personal bans. But when a person's first two posts are of the variety he had, well... His ban was only one week, and I've since lifted it to see if he can be nice. I doubt he'll come back though.

Besides being misinformed and perhaps a slight bit aggressive I don't see any reason for him to have been punished. He was simply stating his "opinion". Nothing he said was malicious to any degree. Regardless, you're right, he probably won't be back.

Sorry for getting away from the subject.
I also liked seeing Vijay. For some reason I always liked him. He seems intense and focused on the course from Thursday through Sunday but relaxed and care-free any other time.

I attended the Tuesday practice day of last year's Buick Open and I can tell you that Vijay was anything but relaxed and carefree. He was very upset by autograph requests and seemed to be "put out" by such requests. At one point, it started to pour and I was close enough to him (one of the few to get his autograph) to offer him my umbrella and he very impolitely responded "No, mine is better" and stormed off.

Despite this however, I have undying respect for the man because of his ridiculous work ethic and consistency. It was a joy to watch him hit balls on the range. I understand that being bombarded by fans for years will wear on anyone, but for some reason Vijay did not deal politely with his followers in the only experience I can remember with him. I can't remember this personally, but my father has recounted to me numerous times that during the '96 US Open which was hosted at my course, Vijay treated 8 year old Me very nicely, sitting me down and autographing my hat. Els and Tiger as well. But back to the topic at hand. You can tell when Daly is being himself and when he is hamming it up for the camera. I love the man when he is himself, but detest the facade he puts up for the cameras.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

You can tell when Daly is being himself and when he is hamming it up for the camera. I love the man when he is himself, but detest the facade he puts up for the cameras.

He was certainly being himself when he was up in that helicopter.

• Administrator
He was certainly being himself when he was up in that helicopter.

That was the best moment on the show.

• 3 weeks later...
I watch this show religiously. I like the fact that he is him self. Maybe he showboats for the camera a little but who doesn't. I like the fact that he does so much charity but he pushes it too much on the show. I think we get that he's a good guy even after all the crap he's been through. He is shown as a real person with allot of addictions and allot of talent, and many of us may be able to relate to his "red neck" life including this southern boy. I would like to see the other side of JD though. The side that looses his cool, what stresses him out and what he takes seriously. The last show was a little dull though. I think Vijay took a shot at him about how he plays, but he took it like a man. I just thought that was a little inappropriate on Vijays part.

Ken

I thought Vijay said what he said because he is a friend of Johns and wants to see him work harder an live up to his potential. As far as John Daly and all the 'crap he's been through', well, didn't he bring all that on himself? It reminds me of the time a broadcaster praised Lawrence Taylor as a hero because he was able to kick his drug habit 4 times...

I thought Vijay said what he said because he is a friend of Johns and wants to see him work harder an live up to his potential. As far as John Daly and all the 'crap he's been through', well, didn't he bring all that on himself? It reminds me of the time a broadcaster praised Lawrence Taylor as a hero because he was able to kick his drug habit 4 times...

I don't believe I praised him for crap he's been through. My point was simply that after all his trouble we understand that he is still a decent person. The constant display of his charity work is not necessary to prove that. I do not believe there is anything Noble about the problems he as created for himself in his life and I certainly do not praise him as a hero for it. I'm not sure how all that come from my comment.

Note: This thread is 6619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!