IGNORED

HIGHWAY 18 - Slow Play Is Not An Option

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

my diagnosis

The girls are really annoying and witches to eachother. they missed a turn and the driver was telling the girl in the backseat "you should be sick, we'e going home

jay and peach aren't quite as annoying as i thought they would be after the first show. i still wouldn't talk to my dad the way he does

the boys are just funny. "dang, son, don;t run too fast!" "cow! i hate cows)

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on Jay and Peach, he definitely talks to his dad in a manner he shouldn't. He also calls him Peach...my dad wouldn't tolerate anything other than a variation of dad. As for the girls, I don't know which is which, but one clearly dominates the other.

i was wondering about that too. no way he hit it 355 yards on a wet course/rainy day. his sky caddie said 413 to center while they were on the tee. not nearly as dramatic as 496. i tried to contact the show today but no respnse so far

As for the girls, I don't know which is which, but one clearly dominates the other.

Thanks for the good visual.

In The Bag:
Driver: Big Bertha 460
3 & 5 Wood: F50.
Irons: 855S Silver Scot 3-SW.
Wedge: S2H2 60*Putter Anser 2i

I agree on Jay and Peach, he definitely talks to his dad in a manner he shouldn't. He also calls him Peach...my dad wouldn't tolerate anything other than a variation of dad. As for the girls, I don't know which is which, but one clearly dominates the other.

I would agree that Jay is a little condescending at times, but I call my dad by his first name sometimes... it is not an issue of disrespect, in fact it is because I am an only child and think of my parents also as my friends... I am very close with both, especially my father though, and when I call him by his first name it is often when we are joking or something. I just don't see it as disrespectful to call your parent by thier first name.

On Jay and Peach, did I miss something? They had a 496 yard par 4 and Jay drives leaving Peach 125 to the hole?

maybe they played the wrong hole

... seriously, it was definately a little odd. as to the girls A&A...; they are a bit much for me... kind of annoying too... Rob and Charlotte are a little out of control at times too... well, actually just Charlotte. as far as like/dislike favorite/least favorite is... 1) two boys... by far my favorite team. 2) Jay and Peach... Jay can be a bit of a dick, but Peach seems nice 3) Rob and Charlotte... Charlotte is a little bossy, but Rob seems alright 4) A&A...; kind of annoying... dislike mopre than like. 5) those other two... don't know why, but I dislike them.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

BigM, I agree that calling your parents by their first name is less of an issue as your age increases (though I don't know your age). But, as you mentioned, my problem with him lies in the condescending nature with which he speaks.

I like the two guys. They're cool.

You know, it just occurred to me that maybe Peach is not Jay's natural father. Maybe he is Jay's step-father.

Jay's mom could have married Peach when Jay was very young, but they weren't comfortable with Jay calling Peach "Dad" because "Dad" was Jay's natural father's "name."

I know that is an issue for some divorced parents, and they sometimes choose to have the child call the step-father by another name. Maybe "Peach" is what Jay was asked to call him?

Pure speculation, but a possibility.

• Administrator
You know, it just occurred to me that maybe Peach is not Jay's natural father. Maybe he is Jay's step-father.

My step-kid calls me Erik, so possibly, but I think the two have a resemblance and are likely biological (father-son).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is "Peach" even the guy's real name, or a nickname he picked up somewhere?

What about the strategy of J and Raul to spread around the strikes to multiple teams? Although that has some surface appeal, it seems to me the better idea is to knock out competitors whenever you can -- not to put them in the same position as you.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

• Administrator
What about the strategy of J and Raul to spread around the strikes to multiple teams? Although that has some surface appeal, it seems to me the better idea is to knock out competitors whenever you can -- not to put them in the same position as you.

I thought the same thing, kind of a losing strategy IMO.

Ditto the above. I thought they should try to get rid of the girls.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think their idea is that once you get a strike on you, you're going to play differently? Like more defensively? I agree that they should have gotten rid of the girls, but the more people still in it, the less chance you have of finishing last. And since you have to get two strikes to be eliminated, why not try to keep people in longer so you have more of a chance of someone finishing behind you (especially since you already have a strike on you anyway).

You know what? After typing that, I have to change my mind, I think they did the smart thing trying to give someone else a strike. Good play. And they almost knocked out the girls anyway. It's already obvious the girls have problems in the course challenges.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I think they made the right decision.

It is certain that one team will walk out of the competition with a strike. You want to move the teams that can beat you out of your way. That is, you want to eliminate the strongest competition, not the weakest team which isn't really a threat. Team Ash(lee) is one of the weakest teams and will most likely eliminate themselves. So, do what you can to get a strike against the strongest teams (Peach & Jay or Rob & Charlotte). The way those teams have played, it is unlikely that they will make 2 major mistakes (resulting in 2 strikes) on their own. However, if you can manufacture a strike against them, it is entirely possible that somewhere along the line, they could foul up (get lost driving, hit a ball OB, whatever) 1 time on their own. And if they do, you have just eliminated your strongest competitors. Basically, you are wasting a strike by giving it to a team you can beat anyway. And there is no downside to their strategy, because even if the better teams overcome your hurdle, someone still gets a strike. (Think of it this way: if you are in the pennant race in MLB, and you could magically give another team a loss, why would you give it to the last place team? Give it to the team that is in your way of making the playoffs.) And something that really hasn't been discussed is the mental side of the game. I think one of the reasons that Jay & Peach and Rob & Charlotte are doing well is because Jay's and Rob's brains are ALWAYS thinking about how to improve their position. In the "down time" during driving, the NC boys chat (and nap), the Ash(lees) fret, Raul & Jameca talk and worry about everyone else. But Jay and Rob are always focused on "what's next" - and their teammates (Peach and Charlotte, respectively) are also pretty sharp and focused.

I think they made the right decision.

Very well reasoned, Mr. Longshanks (you must be a lawyer!). I suppose it comes down to how much of a threat you believe the team that you could try to eliminate may be. And as you say, a reasonable person could see the Ash's as much less threatening than Rob/Char or Peach/Jay.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

And as you say, a reasonable person could see the Ash's as much less threatening than Rob/Char or Peach/Jay.

Especially since they barely survived playing the easiest hole.

Don't get me wrong, I really like them. But they better get their poop together - learn to use the driving clues and play better.

Wow...so much has happened and I missed it! I have been in Mexico for two weeks and haven't been able to watch HW 18 - withdrawal!!! But I caught up this week and was able to interview Rob and Charlotte , Ashleigh K and Jay Reynolds and get their perspective on a roller coaster ride through episodes 3 and 4. It was interesting to hear how they felt about all the drama, twists and turns. I liked getting the "behind the scenes" stuff too.

Will get some insights from Raul this weekend and hope to chat with Parker and Andy as well - sad to see them get a strike, but I'm happy no one has been eliminated yet. I'd like to see a close race.

Golfgal

Golfgal
www.golfgal-blog.com

Just started watching this and I do like it.

What's in my Bagboy Revolver cart bag:

Polarity MTR Irons 2&3 (hybrid) thru PW
R7 Burner Draw Driver 460cc
R7 Burner 3 Wood 5614 Vokey Wedge Tour Chrome Studio Select 1.5 ProV1's

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!