IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

noooooooooo!!!!

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Just think a Toyota vs. a Lamborghini

But those are remarkably different vehicles. A, say, Gallardo, is a hand-made super-luxury car with a 550 HP engine. The thing is filled with the highest-end leather, wood, lightweight alloys, paints, etc. A Toyota is.. not.

There is a small supply of Premium putters, and there is a HUGE demand of Scotty's. Therefore he can price them at 300$ and still sell it faster than hot cakes. Other premium putters have the same or maybe even better quality does not have nearly as much demand as Scotty's. Therefore they must price them lower in order to keep them from building cobwebs in the warehouse.

I see that - I'm just wondering what the physical differences are. Is there anything that justifies the price besides demand? Would the demand exist without the price? What's the actual physical difference between SC and other premium putters?

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

But those are remarkably different vehicles. A, say, Gallardo, is a hand-made super-luxury car with a 550 HP engine. The thing is filled with the highest-end leather, wood, lightweight alloys, paints, etc. A Toyota is.. not.

There may be slight technology difference, but nothing major. If you've ever taken an stat's class or some form of marketing, they'll teach you graphs where there is the least amount of supply for the most amount of profit, and where the highest price per unit is vs maximum profit. SC is doing this, he's charging the highest amount he can, sure losing a few customers but making more profit off those few who do buy it. Compared to if he was selling cheaper and more people where buying it. Something is only worth as much as people are willing to pay, people are willing to pay 300 for a scotty, so thats how much its worth. It isn't about advanced technology or anything its about what we are willing to pay for it.

Now thats not to say SC aren't the best putters around, I love mine and putt a lot better with it than say other putters. Which might have to do with the mental game of using a SC but if thats what it takes to putt better than that 300 was well worth it in my opinion. Hope that helped you understand a little better

In The Bag:
Driver: r7 460 (9.5)
Fairway Woods: r7 CGB Max (3,5)
Hybrid:r7 CGB Max
Irons:AP2Wedges:Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52/8, 56/14, 60/4)Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls:Pro V1x 2009

I've taken some economics classes, and lots of stats classes.. and lots of engineering classes. I'm asking about physical differences between SC putters and others. I understand the economics involved, I'm trying to find out what the actual physical differences are, if any, that justify the price.

And it sounds like there aren't, which leads me to think it's perceived value.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I've taken some economics classes, and lots of stats classes.. and lots of engineering classes. I'm asking about

just stop talking

in my bag
hibore xls 9.5* S flex
sumo2 sasquatch 3 wood 15*
a2os 3 hybrid
sc2 4-pw mpt raw haze 52* 588 56* wedge xtour PM grind 60* cleveland classic #2

WHen i first started golfing i saw a scotty and said 300 hundred for a putter! wow thats so wrong! then i got bit by the bug but when it came down to it i just couldnt buy a $300 putter! i got my semore for half the price and i enjoy it alot... if the $300 putter gives you confidence and you can afford it go for it... but man they are nice =]

in my bag
hibore xls 9.5* S flex
sumo2 sasquatch 3 wood 15*
a2os 3 hybrid
sc2 4-pw mpt raw haze 52* 588 56* wedge xtour PM grind 60* cleveland classic #2

I've taken some economics classes, and lots of stats classes.. and lots of engineering classes. I'm asking about

There aren't any significant differences between a Scotty than say a Odyssey black, or Bettinardi. All Premium putters are built very similarly. There are no significant physical differences. This is why all Premium putters go for 150-300$. The price is coming from labor prices being that they are Made in the USA, CNC Milled. Doing CNC Milling is very slow but very precise so it takes alot of labor, electricity, precision machinery. Therefore, they cannot churn out thousands of putters everyday, maybe 100 a day at best. Not being able to be mass produced due to the precision of the milling etc. But the difference between say a Scotty and a no-name cast putter is quite large.

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

I was thinking the same thing!! I'm glad you said it. There would be nothing worse than spending all that money...having all that pressure to do well....then 3 or 4 putt. I'd go jump in a lake and drown myself.

Would you feel like an idiot hooking or slicing a $300+ driver? I've seen more people do that than 3-putt with a Scotty.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

Would you feel like an idiot hooking or slicing a $300+ driver? I've seen more people do that than 3-putt with a Scotty.

EXACTLY, well said. I see more people with no shame barely getting their tee shot off the ground with their $400 driver. And ironically, they always seem equally proud to show you their "garage sale" putter.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

EXACTLY, well said. I see more people with no shame barely getting their tee shot off the ground with their $400 driver. And ironically, they always seem equally proud to show you their "garage sale" putter.

It seems more common for those with 18+ handicaps to be the ones who say spending $150+ for a putter is stupid.

I never say anything about those spending big $$$ on drivers they can't hit, but I often hear people voice their opinions about how I spent big $$$ on a putter that I can use forever.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

a good thought but why not get a putter that you will keep for the rest of your life instead of one that you would want to sell down the road. If you are already thinking about selling your putter before you buy it that's not a good sign.

I haven't met too many people that have kept the same putter very long. There will more than likely come a time when you will want to change. I mean how do you know today what your taste will be 20 years down the road? Unless you have a friend that will let you borrow a certain putter for a while, you aren't going to be able to go into a pro shop and hit 10 balls with a putter and decide that is the one for you forever. For me, I have to play with one for a while before I ever figure out if it is "the one." With that being said, I used the same putter for 6 years until I just bought a new cleveland....60.00 new.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the Newport 2 Button Back. Putting with it is like running a knife through warm butter. Its awesome. Kind of pricey, but I really enjoy it more than any other putter I've had, and I've had some nice $200 putters. Plus, if you enjoy the comments, my putter ALWAYS gets comments and looks. Generally, I don't want comments and I don't want extra attention. But it is sort of nice to have something others admire, especially since I'm not living in a 5 million dollar Shady Canyon home or driving a Bentley.

- DN

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

I haven't met too many people that have kept the same putter very long. There will more than likely come a time when you will want to change. I mean how do you know today what your taste will be 20 years down the road? Unless you have a friend that will let you borrow a certain putter for a while, you aren't going to be able to go into a pro shop and hit 10 balls with a putter and decide that is the one for you forever. For me, I have to play with one for a while before I ever figure out if it is "the one." With that being said, I used the same putter for 6 years until I just bought a new cleveland....60.00 new.

Nobody is advocating that you use the same single putter forever. What's being said is that if you purchase something like a Scotty Cameron putter you will most likely keep it forever and rotate it with other Scotty Cameron putters. Also, a $400 driver has a shelf life, a $300 putter, if maintained, will last forever and never go out of style or become obsolete..

My Tools of Ignorance:

Nobody is advocating that you use the same single putter forever. What's being said is that if you purchase something like a Scotty Cameron putter you will most likely keep it forever and rotate it with other Scotty Cameron putters. Also, a $400 driver has a shelf life, a $300 putter, if maintained, will last forever and never go out of style or become obsolete..

and scotty's keep their value very good

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

You need to catch up to the post I was referring to man. I know that no one is advocating that. The guy I quoted, if you read it, was trying to say why would you buy a putter if you weren't going to keep it forever.

Just because you buy a SC putter has no bearing on whether or not you keep SCs and switch them out. Out of the guys that I play with that have had SCs, they have actually gotten rid of them because they ended up not liking them. My whole point on this issue is the fact that I think SCs are worth the money and that they hold their value.

Bryan A

Just because you buy a SC putter has no bearing on whether or not you keep SCs and switch them out. Out of the guys that I play with that have had SCs, they have actually gotten rid of them because they ended up not liking them.

The point is, if you like a premium putter, you could keep it and benefit from it forever because it doesn't have a shelf-life, go out of style or become obsolete like that expensive driver.

My Tools of Ignorance:

The point is, if you like a premium putter, you could keep it and benefit from it forever because it doesn't have a shelf-life, go out of style or become obsolete like that expensive driver.

I agree. I really like the SC putters. i think they hold their value very well. I know they last forever. I have a putter at home that is probably 20 years old. Nothing wrong with it at all. We are on the same page here...

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!