IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree. I really like the SC putters. i think they hold their value very well. I know they last forever. I have a putter at home that is probably 20 years old. Nothing wrong with it at all. We are on the same page here...

A 20 yr old Scotty????

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

A 20 yr old Scotty????

No, not a Scotty. Other putters last just as long as SCs . The bottom line to this is, any putter will last. They don't go through the same punishment that other clubs do. If you want to give 60 for a putter, fine....it will probably last just as long as a Scotty Cameron. if you want to give 300 for the Cameron, fine. It will last for a while and will hold its value much better IF you decide to sell it.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My opinion - no. They are good putters but the price quadrupled after Tiger started using them. (He used Pings until he got the $12M Titleist contract coming on to the PGA Tour. Notice, he still uses the Ping "Jasper" grip on his Scotty !!).

To me, it's all about balance (shaft weight, length and a grip that really fits your hands) and making sure that things are squared-up, properly. I have settled on Bobby Grace design putters after playing everything you can imagine. I think that they are excellent for amature players and you'll still have both arms to putt with, after buying one!

Putters are the most "personal" club in your bag, so I imagine you'll get a thousand different anwers!

Driver- Tommy Armour AyrTime - High Launch
Woods- Tommy Armour 845 Metal Persimmon 3.5.7
Irons- Tommy Armour Silver Scot MB Blades 3-PW
SW - Tommy Armour R91 Chrome 56*
Putter - Tommy Armour EFT Milled Series Model 1

just stop talking

My favorite post in all of 26 pages.

- DN

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

I just purchased a new SC Studio Select a couple of weeks ago. Was using an Odyssey 2-ball prior, a great putter in its own right. I want to move away from the insert and something with more feel. I went to the local golf store and tried all the new milled offerings such as Ping Redwood, Bettinardi, Rife, Odyssey, etc.... IMO, the SC felt the best. The weighting and feel is excellent compared to the others. They also hold their value quite well. The others simply do not.........

Wow. Those are the exact reasons I ordered a Studio Select Newport 2 last week. I'd been having some trouble on distance control, particularly on 25+ footers because of the insert. I wanted to get away from it and go with something with a milled face. I looked at the exact same putters and decided on the Scotty for a number of reasons:

1. Weight. I need a 33" and the Scotty came in the weight I wanted for that length. 2. Roll. The putter I selected gets the ball rolling very quickly. I don't know if it's the loft or not, but I can definitely hear a difference between the Scotty and the putter I'm using now. There's a lot of skid with the insert. 3. Looks. This was actually a very small concession I made. I don't like clubs that are too shiny. The Cameron looks nice, but I wish it was a hair duller in appearance. I may think differently outside with sunglasses on. 4. Sits square. This is the biggest thing for me. In my putting routine, I align the putter with my right hand on the putter and my left hand on my left thigh. Then, I square my stance, place my left hand on the grip, do a quick adjustment waggle, and putt. If it hoods or opens when I align it, I have to apply annoying hand manipulation to keep it square. Then the feeling transfers itself into my forearms and I don't trust that the putter will square itself through impact without manipulation. It's a big confidence drainer. I don't even try a putter that hoods or opens when you sole it. Price didn't really matter. Any old non-John-Daly-Wal-mart brand putter will be north of $120. For as much time as we spend on putting, $300 really isn't that big a deal. So if your going to get a new putter anyway, just save up for a few months or eat out less and shell out the cash.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I got a used Scotty on eBay a month ago & my putting actually did improve noticeably. I had heard that they were not as forgiving as many putters, so I made more of an effort to connect with the sweet spot & guess what? My distance control improved quite a bit.

These putters do breed confidence. They feel good, too, but I don't feel a big difference on that score -- hey, it's a piece of steel.

If you're not particular on a specific model, you can get Camerons at a reasonable price. I say, go for it.

905T, 9½° driver
Hyper X, 15° 3-wood
PT585H, 17° 2-hybrid
3DX RC, 20° 3-hybrid
Eye2, 4 â LW Circa '62 #2

You can take any putter that is new to you and chances are you will putt better with it right after you get it. You are more focused on the putts and contact and therefore make better putts...its mental. That is why I don't suggest choosing a putter just because you hit it good in the store. You need to be able to putt with it for a while to see if it is really the one....and that is where your resale value comes in

Bryan A

You can take any putter that is new to you and chances are you will putt better with it right after you get it. You are more focused on the putts and contact and therefore make better putts...its mental. That is why I don't suggest choosing a putter just because you hit it good in the store. You need to be able to putt with it for a while to see if it is really the one....and that is where your resale value comes in

I agree with this, my main reason for selecting a SC putter was the way it set up. For my putting style and my eye the Circa 62 seemed to fit me the best of the numerous putters I tried. I own several Ping, Wilson, Titleist and Mizuno putters but the SC has by far the most natural fit.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I agree with this, my main reason for selecting a SC putter was the way it set up. For my putting style and my eye the Circa 62 seemed to fit me the best of the numerous putters I tried. I own several Ping, Wilson, Titleist and Mizuno putters but the SC has by far the most natural fit.

I understand completely. I have a friend that has used SCs for a while and I have hit several different models. They just seemed to be weighted so well that its hard to get them off line...if that makes any sense. I love them, but I have a Cleveland that looks identical to the SCs and I putt pretty well with it...and it was only 60.00. I know, I am very cheap

Bryan A

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I've responded to threads asking the opinion of scotty's in the past and have been very negative just based on price. I had the opportunity to golf with a friend the other day who insisted that I use his scotty. What can I say? I had six one putts in a row. The feel of this thing wa un-matched by anything I have ever used. Could it be that this putter (Newport 2) is actually worth $300? I suppose I have to change my mind and put in a plug for these putters. What say you?

P.S. I'm on my way to the golf shop. Guess I'll have to hear it from the wife when I try to explain another $300 on my CC

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Hey all, I've responded to threads asking the opinion of scotty's in the past and have been very negative just based on price. I had the opportunity to golf with a friend the other day who insisted that I use his scotty. What can I say? I had six one putts in a row. The feel of this thing wa un-matched by anything I have ever used. Could it be that this putter (Newport 2) is actually worth $300? I suppose I have to change my mind and put in a plug for these putters. What say you?

If it is worth it to you, it was worth it. My guess is you missed a bunch of greens and had a great chipping day? At least you know the putter will fit on the couch with you...;)

Exactly like the previous poster said. If it's worth it to you, get it. I don't see the big deal. I have one and paid $300 for it but I plan on keeping it a long time if not the rest of my golfing career.

It's no different than buying a Rolex or Tag Hauer watch when a Timex will tell time just as well.

Ya they're expensive, but worth it. Just tell the wife you'll take 4 or 5 strokes off your scores because of it, and you won't yell at her when you return from the course, having 3-putted all day long!

btw, I have a 4 year old Scotty newport nickel, and it still looks brand new! It will last you forever.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

The putter's your most personal club. So, if it makes you more confident, happier, or if it just puts you in a more positive mindset, then yes.
905R 10.5* - Speeder (S) ::: 909F2 15.5* - VooDoo (S) ::: 909H 19* - VooDoo (S) ::: Vokey Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11 & 60.07
MX-25 4-P - Dynamic Gold (S300)
Studio Style Newport 2 - 33/350
Pro V1Tour V2

defiantly worth as i noticed you have a 400 dollar driver and you will use the putter at least double the driver if you can spend that much on driver you can defiantly spend that much if not more on a putter

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

defiantly worth as i noticed you have a 400 dollar driver and you will use the putter at least double the driver if you can spend that much on driver you can defiantly spend that much if not more on a putter

I always spend my money defiantly!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I bought mine for the craftsmanship. It's unparalleled among made-in-china retail store putters, IMO. There are some nice machined putters that you can get from really small startup shops, but those are hard to find. I'm not quite used to the way mine opens when soled, so I haven't developed a lot of confidence yet. But the strike feels really solid. I'm also doing much better on putts outside 25 feet. The last round had two two-putts from outside 60 feet. I could never have done that with the insert on the putter I was playing.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!