IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I spent the big bucks for a brand new scotty and ended up trading it in before the season was over. I liked the feel a lot, the problem for me was you have to have a pretty consistent stroke with them. Offcenter hits felt absolutely awful. It felt like I was only hitting the sweet spot 50% of the time, if that. Plus I like the softer feel of the white hot inserts better. try them out at the store for several putts before you pull the trigger on them.

Clubs:

Driver: Ping G10 10.5 UST Mamiya Proforce V2 Stiff
Fairway: Ping G10 15.5 UST Mamiya Proforce V2 stiff
Hybrid: Ping G10 18.0 UST Mamiya Proforce V2 H stiffIrons:  Ping S56 3-PW KBS tour StiffWedges:  Ping Tour S 56, 60 degree KBS tour stiffPutter:  Ping scottsdale anser 2 34"

I'll give you another example of why Scottys are worth it:

I keep hearing in this thread how great Pings are, yet whenever I offer up an ORIGINAL Ping Pal to self-professed Ping lovers in threads on this website I receive no offers. Additionally, 2 years ago, when I tried to sell a barely used Ping Zing Redwood on EBAY, no one met the reserve of $160, which was 60% of the brand new price. I ended up trading it in at Golfsmith instead.

Yet, if I offered up any of my Scottys I would get close to what I paid for them, if not more in some instances. I actually get offers all the time on the golf course for my SC Studio Design #5 MB.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I'll give you another example of why Scottys are worth it:

I'm LOL because I've had almost the same experience. Earlier this summer I was trying to get rid of some extra clubs, including a Ping Anser 4 in near-perfect condition and a Ping Karsten Piper that was like new. Despite really good pricing, I didn't get a nibble.

Last Friday I played a casual round with a couple coworkers. On the 16th, one of them forgot their putter on the 16th (don't ask how), and I offered up my Scotty. He plays a Ping Anser, so he said "almost just like mine" and after he drained the putt he said "Wow, feels a lot better then mine!". He asked to borrow it again on the next hole, and again was impressed. I just got an email from him, and he went out putter shopping over the weekend and ended up getting a similar Scotty to replace his long trusted Ping. Scotty has been quoted as saying he gives full credit to Karsten and Ping, and that Scotty was "only trying to make a better putter".

The OP is from 2005 <.<

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

This is always a humerous topic.

After all....are any of our golf clubs "worth it"?

Do we truly get the performance advantage from all of them or could we search out copies/clones that would "do the same" thing?

Folks, it's like any club purchase....only you can make the decision......only you .

Putters are funny....you sometimes have to find the one that fits your current stroke. I've had a few Scottys that I simply couldn't wait to get rid of....not going to mention the models because some forum members may be gaming them to great effect....they just didn't fit my stroke at the time.

Game what you like. The only stick the scorecard will recognize is your pencil....
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

if anyone is trying to desperately get rid fo a scotty... lemme know

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

After a 16+ years hiatus, I returned to golf and did my homework re-familiarizing myself with all the new advances in equipment. Rather than use Flinstone-type clubs of yester-year, I decided to look into a whole new set. So when I heard my college friend swearing about his Scotty Cameron putter, I had to look into trying it out at the pro shop.

I spent many hours in a few different pro shops putting a good dozen different putters, including a few SC's. I couldn't discern why SC's seem to have a near cult-like following (and I do not mean to disparage any SC owners). It doesn't hurt when perhaps the greatest player of all time--Tiger Woods--uses one.

For me the SC did not swing smoothly enough. I liked the "buttery" feel
of the Odyssey Black Series i #1, Bettinardi BC6, and Ping i Anser blade.

I'm not that concerned about resale value. I tried everything to like the SC. Just couldn't! In the end I went with what I liked and not some other person's well-intentioned opinion.

any putters that help you to sink the ball with the least stoke is a good putter.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

cant wait to see what putters SCotty brings out in 2010 - get the feeling it will be something special!!

Here's what's new, the California Series:

http://www.golf.com/golf/video/artic...915928,00.html

My Tools of Ignorance:

I just purchased a SC within the past month. In my 2 yrs of playing golf, I thought SC owners spoke with an unnecessarily pejorative tone (sort of like blade owners imo). After trying one, the balance, feel etc. won out over the Anser 3 and Unitized Tiempo I had previously.

Are the SC's more expensive? Yes. I wonder if *some* of the added expense is due to them being made in the USA? I don't have time to research but I know that a couple of the top 10 putter brands are manufactured outside of the USA which would decrease one of the 2 major costs in club making... anyone know where the other brands are made?
Again I have to disagree that only the Scotty's are priced high. A quick check of pricing at various golf retailers shows that all the premium milled putters like Odyssey Black Series, Ping Redwood, Taylor Made Kia Ma, SeeMore M1, Yes, etc. are all comparably priced. If one wants to argue that all of these are overpriced that is a different matter, and perhaps they are (although I wouldn't want to try and make a living milling and distributing putters). But it is incorrect to single out Scotty's here.

I was fortunate to have been given a Scotty Cameron from my boss! Putting is by far the weakest part of my game, so I've been experimenting with different putters to find one that feels good to me. I found that a Scotty was what felt best and I wanted one - but was affraid of the price tag. My boss had one that he won in a contest and didn't want. Score!

I love the Scotty. The balance, weighting and feel help me get a better stroke on the ball - and a more consistant stroke. Additionally, and perhaps part of it is due to the reputation/name, it gives me more confidence on the greens.

Would I pay the $300 price tag knowing what I know now about my Newport 2.7? Yes!

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

• 1 month later...
I went into my golf store absolutely sure I was going to get a Scotty Studio Select 2.0 - the money may as well have been in the register.

I guess I was really enamoured with the brand and the idea of a Scotty. But when I started missing big all over the practice green, I was a bit worried. Eventually after being putter-fit, I realised I needed a face-balanced putter. Yes the fastback was nice, but honestly the Scotty grip feels crappy (IMO only - no offence scotty lovers) and the feel off the putter isn't amazing for the price (again IMO!).

To make a long story short, a mid-mallet face-balanced gave me the most confidence, and I really don't like looking down at a classic blade.

Putting is a real strength of my game, and I didn't need to end up 3 putting for the sake of that silver putter cover in my bag! The YES! Marilyn was a great fit, and I'm sure it'll stay in the bag for many years to come.

G15 10.5* Driver
HiBORE XLS 15* 3W
HiBORE XLS 21* & 24* 3H & 4H
X-31 5I to SW
Vokey Spin Oil Can 60* LW Marilyn 34" Putter Tour Stand Bag SciFlex Glove & Golf Athletics Shoes

Had an interesting experience last Wednesday. I was playing in a 666 match and one of my partners for 6 holes had a Scotty Cameron Newport. (I had never played with this fellow, but have seen him around the club and knew that he is good - a 4 hdcp).

I was putting with my Milled EFT Model 1 ($19 investment). Both putters where 35" with identical Winn grips (his was bight Red and mine was Black) and the Ping Anser 2 style - probably the best design, for most people, ever. When we finished each of our holes, he'd practice putt using my EFT and he claimed that there was no noticeable difference - to his amazement ! The only real difference was cosmetic because his Scotty has a highly polished finish!

For kicks, I asked him if he thought that his Scotty Cameron was worth the extra money and he said "Yes, because I've always wanted Scotty Cameron putters". I asked him if the Scotty Cameron performed better than my Tommy Armour EFT, and he said "No - they felt the same". This guy is an excellent putter, I might add, so his comments meant something to me.

It all gets back to prefernce, not they are that superior. If you want a Scotty, it's worth it!

Driver- Tommy Armour AyrTime - High Launch
Woods- Tommy Armour 845 Metal Persimmon 3.5.7
Irons- Tommy Armour Silver Scot MB Blades 3-PW
SW - Tommy Armour R91 Chrome 56*
Putter - Tommy Armour EFT Milled Series Model 1

For kicks, I asked him if he thought that his Scotty Cameron was worth the extra money and he said "Yes, because I've always wanted Scotty Cameron putters". I asked him if the Scotty Cameron performed better than my Tommy Armour EFT, and he said "No - they felt the same". This guy is an excellent putter, I might add, so his comments meant something to me.

You are just using the opinion of one person, if the story is true, to justify your opinion. I am sure all the tour players that game Camerons for free would disagree.

And, I got news for you, the materials and craftsmanship that go into making a Scotty Cameron putter head are superior to those that go into a $19 new one, that is objective and irrefutable.

My Tools of Ignorance:

I played golf for 50 years without a SC. I have now had one for 3 years.

Was it worth it? The wait....the dough.....Dang Straight!

I have other putters, and use them occasionally, but I always go back the my SC.

And, I got news for you, the materials and craftsmanship that go into making a Scotty Cameron putter head are superior to those that go into a $19 new one, that is objective and irrefutable.

I'm not anti-SC, nor am I opposed to spending money when it's quality you are buying, but it's a putter! The basic putter is one of the least technical apsects of golf equipment. A successful putt doesn't rely upon strenght or club head speed. In fact putting represents the least force applied to the ball. I've seen guys sink 20 footers using the blade of their sand wedge. It's not rocket science.

I liken a SC putter to a Rolex watch. A Rolex isn't just a watch it's a piece of jewelry, and a SC isn't just a putter it's a work of artistic craftsmanship. That right there may be all it takes to inspire confidence in the person using it and if that's the case then owning a SC putter can be a worthwhile investment. But as a tool that applies the light force used in putting the superior craftsmanship and high quality materials don't make the putter intrensically better than any other putter than can be had for a fraction of the cost.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Note: This thread is 3761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!