IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

they are a solid flatstick. i'd never buy one, but i'd never put down someone who did...but if you are a bad putter then you are a bad putter. unlike any other club in the bag, the putter is the only one you can't mask your horrendous abilities with. you can buy forgiveness on your woods and irons.

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

The basic putter is one of the least technical apsects of golf equipment.

That's your opinion. I say, if holing everything out, putting requires the most precision. Afterall, a putt is the only shot in golf that if missed slightly guarantees an extra stroke is added to your score. Furthermore, it relies on an inordinate amount of feel, much more than the other aspects, which are more mechanical.

With feel and precision being so important, you want the implement that is MOST LIKELY to deliver those attributes on a consistent basis. For that reason a $300 putter with a reputation like Scotty Cameron is intrinsically better than a $30 putter.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

The reason they are worth the money they are is because of the confidence people have them. I love my putter but I still want a Scotty someday.

Look at ebay. I don't think they hold there value for no reason.

Brian

You are just using the opinion of one person, if the story is true, to justify your opinion. I am sure all the tour players that game Camerons for free would disagree.

Oh really? High grade Stainless is $3.83/ lb which means a 350 gram putter head has about $2.96 worth of irrefutable quality material in it. Add a Winn Grip, a shaft, some epoxy, tape and labor and it

easily totals $300. The EFT's were designed by Todd Sones - one the best putter designers - and went for $150 new at a shop. $19 was a "used" eBay purchase. What is true is if you can putt - you can putt, period. The reason this fellow was practice-putting with my putter is that I was sinking them - right on top of his. I had nothing to prove or justify he was curious and nonbiased enough to be impressed. He didn't act belittled or threatened - which of course means it has to be a lie! What about all those tour players who don't play SC putters - that's another lie? Pull your head out, Elvis, and take a breath of fresh air!

Driver- Tommy Armour AyrTime - High Launch
Woods- Tommy Armour 845 Metal Persimmon 3.5.7
Irons- Tommy Armour Silver Scot MB Blades 3-PW
SW - Tommy Armour R91 Chrome 56*
Putter - Tommy Armour EFT Milled Series Model 1

Oh really? High grade Stainless is $3.83/ lb which means a 350 gram putter head has about $2.96 worth of irrefutable quality material in it. Add a Winn Grip, a shaft, some epoxy, tape and labor and it

Judging by your anger, you obviously have an axe to grind and I'm not going to continue to be a part of it.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Why is it that those who play and enjoy Scotty putters usually take an objective perspective that admits they enjoy craftsmanship and feel more confident, but those who seem to hate Scottys result to the usual belittling BS like you are showing here? Gordo, your approach and attack are totally uncalled for, and contribute absolutely nothing to this thread.

Do you drive a car? If it is anything more than an old piece of crap Yugo, then we must assume that you place a value on more than just the scrap value of its parts. Do you have a watch? If it is anything nicer than a basic $5 plastic drugstore special, then you apparently have a certain appreciation of style or quality with regards to timepieces. If you buy clothes that are anything other than the cheapest possible K-mart special, we should assume you have a desire for style that is above that of a thrift shop. We could go through your golf bag choices and make similar arguments about every club in your bag - they're far more than you need and you could have paid less, but you chose those clubs because of your personal perspectives on performance, style, confidence, etc. Why do you feel the need to slam someone for expressing their personal perspectives about a Scotty with your sanctimonious drivel????

...a putt is the only shot in golf that if missed slightly guarantees an extra stroke is added to your score. Furthermore, it relies on an inordinate amount of feel, much more than the other aspects, which are more mechanical.

There are two aspects of this discussion. One is fact and the other opinion. The fact is putting requires the least application of force to the ball. Thusly putter design has seen the least amount of technological advancement (consider that the most popular design in putters today is a direct copy of a putter over 40 years old: Karsten's Anser). This doesn't diminish the importance of putting in the game nor does it diminish the importance of each player finding a putter that works for them. It's the opinion of a lot of people that SC putters are some of the best ever made. It's an opinion I believe to be valid, but that doesn't mean that SC putters are intrensically better than any other. It just means a lot of people like SC putters and are willing to pay a premium to buy one. There are qualities in a milled SS putter that a golfer may well prize, and if thru experimentation one finds they prefer that style then by all means they should buy one. But all this worry and consternation regarding which putter is best and whether or not one is worth a higher price is silly.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Well this is the putter that I have in fact chosen to treat myself with this offseason, the

yeah places like ebay and 3balls are hell on us to find what we want but all in all we lefties stick toghether but if i ever buy a scotty i will have to have this look in my face

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

There are two aspects of this discussion. One is fact and the other opinion. The fact is putting requires the least application of force to the ball.

Again, there are a couple of more facts: putting requires more precision than any other golf stroke as a putt is the only shot in golf that if missed slightly guarantees an extra stroke is added to your score.

And secondly, putting relies on an inordinate amount of feel, much more than the full golf swing, which is more mechanical and technical. But, I am not not asserting that a Scotty Cameron or any premium ($250+) putter is technologically better than any other, so your statement about putters having the least amount of technological advancement or designs being copied doesn't mean anything to me. Again, with feel and precision (and confidence) being so important in putting, I personally believe superior craftsmanship and attention to minute details offered in the premium putters to be of the upmost importance.

My Tools of Ignorance:

• 2 months later...
I'd feel like a moron three putting with a scotty

100% agree. I would rather 5 putt with a POS putter than front a scotty and 3 putt. I just bought a SeeMore milled mallet and so far so much better.

907 D2 Tour with Fujikura Rombax 7Z08
909 D3 with stock Aldila Voodoo
909 19*with Fujikura Speeder 904HB
909 24* with Fujikura Speeder 904HB
MX 200's (5-GW) with DG XP's MP-10 54* and 58* Kombi B330-S or TP Red's (while they last)

• 1 month later...
I'd feel like a moron three putting with a scotty

I feel bad when I 3putt....regardless of the putter.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

I love Scotty's putters, they feel amazing. Do I necessarily make anymore putts with them? No probably not. It's just a matter of personal preference. You are more than likely gonna putt better with a putter that you have more confidence in. If a Scotty gives you more confidence, then yes it's probably worth it. I change putters so often it doesn't really matter what I putt with, if I set up with a putter one day and it just feels "weird", I'll have a different one in the bag tomorrow.

What's In My Bag
Driver: Laucher 460 8.5 w/AccuFlex Assassin X Shaft
3 Wood: PT 15 degree w/x100 Shaft
Irons: DCI 762 3-PW w/s300 shaft
Wedges: 52, 56, 60 Putter: Futura, B60 Belly Putter, DF Rossie 2Ball: Pro V1 X-The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over,...

The nice thing about a scotty is that you buy it used for 200 bucks use it for a couple months and decide you dont like it. you will be able to turn around and sell it for what you paid for it. just about anything else your not gonna get your money back out of. IMO scotty's are def. worth the coin. just my two penny's thg

im 14 and do not have much money so i would say no but if i had a jobi would probaly get the futura, kombi, or detour i have tested them and i would probaly say no putters are important but i would go for performance based like heavy putter or yes.
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

I like my scotty. I got a gift card so it was free to me. I 4 putted a green yesterday, but that was completely my fault. When I hit it right, i get a great roll, regardless if my line is right or not. I think I can control my distance more with my scotty vs my old Odyssey.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

100% agree. I would rather 5 putt with a POS putter than front a scotty and 3 putt. I just bought a SeeMore milled mallet and so far so much better.

So you'd sacrifice 2 strokes per hole to not play a Scotty? PGA players 3 putt with a Scotty all the time.

In all reality, I probably average 2-3 less putts a round with my Scotty. I love the feel and I have a ton of confidence putting with it. Sometimes I don't get it rolling great and I may not have any fewer putts with it. But alot sometimes I really get on a roll and I think I gain maybe 4-5 putts a round. And I was never really able to get on a putting roll at that level with other putters.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

I guess I'm lucky I was "born into" a putter. My father's Lynx will be my putter for as long as I live, or that's at least my plan. It has a nice little mark where the ball hits it. I learned with it, and I will always feel confident with it. I have tried other putters, but actually lost 2-3 putts per round as a result!

Oh, and my Lynx is really sexy, more so than a Cameron. It's a Zing style blade, black with yellow trim, a silver steel face, and it's got a cool pinched looking hosel. I'll have to take a picture of it.

I'll have to take a picture of it.

Please do, I'm interested.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

Note: This thread is 3765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!