IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When Scotty's cost as much as an Odyssey, I'll buy one. I've tried both and I like the 2-ball design much better than a standard blade. As far as looking "cool", Scotty's rock.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

I, personally, believe you are paying for the scotty cameron NAME more so than the putter. If it was made with say "UBER MEGA MARS ROCKS FROM SPACE" then sure I'll fork out the extra dime. As of now I haven't touched a scotty i liked better than my sabertooth.

And even if i was going to fork out 250+ on a putter I'd get this beast right here!

Traditional blade design with a mallet back and odyssey quality

However, those saying they aren't really worth it i guess is kind of stupid because any similiar putter will cost just as much.

Oh, and the standard scotty grips are awful i have no idea how you like them. Odyssey grips are like heaven though.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

where are the odyssey black series putters made?

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

What do you mean..?

Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Well I believe their office is in California.

---"Be the ball"---

Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

yeah... carlsbad, CA

they dont manufacturer the putters there though, I'm interested in their point of origin

I believe its china but just looking to make sure

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

yeah... carlsbad, CA

Yes, the heads are made in China. USA shafts. Grip...not sure.

---"Be the ball"---

http://www.scottycameron.com/studio/videos.aspx

that makes a difference to me... sorry, but its a reality

Daniel Duarte

Then buy the cameron by all means. I don't care where my putter is made. As long as it's made with quality and odyssey has proven they make quality goods.

It's just CNC Machining. No big deal.

---"Be the ball"---

I used to think that it was crazy to spend $300 on a putter. My first putter that I really liked was an Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II. It was better than the Wal-Mart putter that I had prior to that. I used this putter for 10 years. My brother bought me the 2-Ball XG for Christmas and I like the feel of it, but I have some trouble controlling the distance of my putts. I never liked the Anser/blade style putters because they were too light. Then I tried some of the newer stuff and I fell in love with the Studio Select Newport 2. It has a good weight to it (though I am sending it to the custom shop to have more weight added) and it looks absolutely gorgeous. I could tell that it was a piece of quality craftsmanship. So, I dropped the $300 for the putter. I think that I will keep this putter for the rest of my life, and it will be the most used club in my bag. So, in time, it will end up being the cheapest club in the bag on a per stroke basis. In summary, it was worth the money to me.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

Frankly -

You certainly seem to like to have the last word.

The fine line you describe seems simply to be the boundary between a point that you either agree or disagree with. As for my original post on the topic, you have snipped part of it. I said: "If it helps you putt better then more power to you..." Nobody has yet asserted that these putters have some intrinsic physical value or superior technology that makes them worth $300. I seem to read that they are worth more because they instill confidence, etc. That sure seems to be to be a mental thing, i.e. "in your head..." Putting is a HUGE mental thing. I have a garage full of "retired" putters. I could have bought several Scotty Camerons. Just look at all the ways golfers try to cure their putting woes: weird grips, long putters, huge putter heads, etc... I feel the uber-expensive putters fall into the same category. The OP said he was considering buying a SC putter and asked if they were worth it. My advice was simply that I don't think they are worth the money. That is not the same as telling you or any other SC owners that "you shouldn't have wasted your money." You ARE reading too much into it and putting words into my mouth. I never said "you're stupid for spending the money..." What's happening is that I've interrupted the Scotty Cameron self-congratulation party and suddenly you begin to have doubts in the back of your mind and start thinking that maybe you did spend too much for that putter. And that doesn't make you happy. Now I am rude and judgemental. Further evidence that the whole thing is mental. Can anyone dispute my assertion that SC Putters are an example of the Veblen effect?

You certainly seem to like to have the last word.

Well I think that's a little overboard. I have almost $1000 wrapped up in a remote control truck. I could have bought 3 Scottys. I sometimes wonder why I have spent all the money on a "toy". Answer: Cause it's a blast, I love playing with it, and it's my money.

You are accusing iacas of doing what you are doing. Advice: Give your opinion and that's it. Don't talk about why someone else feels the way they do.

---"Be the ball"---

What's happening is that I've interrupted the Scotty Cameron self-congratulation party and suddenly you begin to have doubts in the back of your mind and start thinking that maybe you did spend too much for that putter. And that doesn't make you happy. Now I am rude and judgemental. Further evidence that the whole thing is mental...

Dude you're copping as big an attitude for the anti-Cameron side as anybody could in looking down on those of us who choose not to put a Cameron in our bag. I think that's what iacas is objecting to in your posts.

I think you are objecting to the fact that Cameron putters have become somewhat of a status symbol in golf today. There is a major "wow" factor involved with owning something that fit's this bill. Golf is a very equipment oriented sport. Kind of like boating or owning a fancy sports car. Like it or not your choice in equipment says something about you. Some people choose to get defensive about this because their equipment isn't the latest or the most expensive. Other people choose to let their performance do their talking. Still others want to make a big impression with their equipment. I know guys who laugh at anyone who owns nice equipment. They're playing with the same stuff they've played with all their lives and they're pretty good. They see a guy with $2k in equipment and they laugh at him, especially if he isn't as good as they are. While I see their point (if you can't swing the club having a high dollar club doesn't make a difference), I think they are taking it too far. So what if someone wants to spend several thousand dollars on their equipment. It doesn't reflect on me one way or the other. If the person with high dollar equpment chooses to look down on someone playing with a hand-me-down set, then I believe that is a far more accurate indicator of their character than what choice of equipment or what kind of putter they have in their bag. Likewise someone with a Cameron putter who also happens to be a nice guy is someone I don't have any problem calling a friend. And if I happen to out putt them with my 40 year old hand-me-down putter so much the better!

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

• Administrator
I think that's what iacas is objecting to in your posts.

Pretty much. That and the implication that he's telling others how to spend their money.

I also asked that he take it to PM, but he didn't listen to that either.
Advice: Give your opinion and that's it. Don't talk about why someone else feels the way they do.

Indeed.

Nobody has yet asserted that these putters have some intrinsic physical value or superior technology that makes them worth $300.

Sure they have. If not in this thread, then in the several billion other similar threads. Craftsmanship is an "intrinsic physical value." And what about people who simply appreciate the way they look? I don't much care for modern art, but I don't go around telling people they're wasting their money when they spend $10k on some piece of modern art. I do like the looks of most Cameron putters, and their performance, their feel, their craftsmanship, their fit and finish, etc.

What's happening is that I've interrupted the Scotty Cameron self-congratulation party and suddenly you begin to have doubts in the back of your mind and start thinking that maybe you did spend too much for that putter.

You couldn't be further from the truth.

Can anyone dispute my assertion that SC Putters are an example of the Veblen effect?

Yeah: Scotty could could sell 2x as many putters as he does, but they (Scotty, Titleist) purposefully limit supply so as to INCREASE demand and thus raise the price. That's pretty much the opposite of the Veblen.

Now, I asked you before to take it to PM if you STILL have more to say, and this time I'm insistent. Do so or, preferably, just drop it. There will probably be another one of these threads in 10 days, and you can try your luck at saying what you mean to say in that one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually use a SeeMore putter which is the first putter I ever bought that I actually had to spend enough money for that I had to talk myself into. More than a name on a putter is, can you putt with the darn thing?

My brother in law was into the whole Callaway thing so he bought a Callaway putter that had a head similar to the big bertha and HATED it! But used it anyway because he spent so much on it and traded in his old putter (an old Ping that he could putt lights-out with).

If you putt the best you ever have with it or, at least better than anything else out there (assuming your favorite old putter is not doing the job any more) then sure, it's worth it.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I'm contemplating whether or not to buy a newport 2 studio select. Someone who has one please convince me

In my Callaway Stand Bag:

MX-700 9.5* stiff
2H 18deg Slingshot Tour
MP57 3-PW Rifle Flighted 5.0 54* Vokey Spin Milled 60* BRZ Tour Action 900 Studio Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 3739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!