IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm contemplating whether or not to buy a newport 2 studio select. Someone who has one please convince me

I recently got one and I like it a lot. I really wanted this model because I can get my whole name on it at the custom shop and it has the interchangeable weights on it as I like a heavier putter. It is a solid putter! Excellent craftsmanship. I will keep this putter for the rest of my life. I feel that I can control the distance of my putts better with this club than with the insert putter that I have (Odyssey 2-Ball XG). I just feel confident with this putter as I know that it has a great track record on Tour, i.e. Tiger uses one. It really works for me!

That being said, it may not suit you. I suggest that you try several out. I tried several but I kept coming back to the Scotty. It may have been a mental predisposition to go with a Scotty before I walked in the door, but putting is mostly mental anyway. I love mine and highly recommend it, but you need to try one for yourself. Happy testing!

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I'm contemplating whether or not to buy a newport 2 studio select. Someone who has one please convince me

Thats the one I have my eyes on as well. Do you know how to find out what length putter you should get for a 6'0" tall person, do they measure for that or is it just by what feels best.

In the bag
driver- G5
3wood-
5wood-
irons- cpr 4-pw[B]wedges[/B]- 52,56,60 cg12putter-odyssey:

There is no single answer to the question, "Are Scotty Cameron putters worth it?".

For some, the answer is an emphatic "Yes!". For others, it is an absolute "No!". Some people are going to be on the fence or leaning slightly one way or the other.

Each person must make up their own mind based on what is important to them. Expressing opinions on their value as fact, one way or the other, is folly.

What we can do is offer reasons why we feel the putters are worth or not worth what they cost. But we must keep in mind that those reasons may not make sense to someone else and ridiculing someone because of that is bad form.

S-
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

I have this putter, worth every penny imo. I feel more confident when standing over a putt of any length than with my old putters.

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 9*
3 Wood: cleveland.gif Launcher 13* 5 Wood: cleveland.gif Launcher 19*
Irons: cleveland.gif CG1 Black Pearl 3-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gif CG12 Black Pearl 52 & 58 Degree     Putter: cameron.gif California Coronado
http://twitter.com/BFlynn23

Thats the one I have my eyes on as well. Do you know how to find out what length putter you should get for a 6'0" tall person, do they measure for that or is it just by what feels best.

I would definitely test the different lengths as the heads are different weights for the different length shaft. Some people say that you should be fitted for a putter, but I think that you should get what feels right. I like a short, heavy putter, so that is what I use. Just try them and go from there.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

• 5 months later...
I really do not understand the big deal with Scotty Cameron putters. There are thousands of putters out there that are great putters. So whats the big deal with Cameron putters? I have never owned one and really dont plan on it. But I am intrigued at the same time. Thanks All!!!

For me they're not worth it...at least not new. They're good but they're trading a lot on the name. There's a lot of kit these days that is over-hyped and expensive.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is one piece of equipment that I really don't think hundreds of dollars can help you (although it may give you some confidence). If you practice diligently with your putter, you will learn how to put well with it. I truly believe you could putt well with a flat piece of metal attached to a pvc pipe if you practiced. IMHO putters should not break your bank. If you like a specific style of a putter, get a clone. As long as you can tap it in, it doesn't matter what kind it is.

"To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call wherever the ball lands the target"

I have two Scotty Cameron putter and they are well made and they seem to hold their values. I bought my Newport 2 on ebay for about $150, 3 years ago.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Ive also noticed A lot of people that buy them do not game them. They just use them as a inside practice putter or hang them on the wall. Which is great if thats what they want. Ive seen tons of putters out there that look exactly like a Cameron putter for a fraction of the price. But each to their own.

I game Scotty but I would perform the same with other putters as well. I think it's just the brand value that draws more people into using one. But they are no doubt quality putters. Scotty does have it's distinctive feel to it though.

A car is a car. Honda or BMW performs the same. Brings a person from point A to point B. But just a better feel when driving in a more posh car. If you can afford one, game one and perform at the same time, I guess there is no harm. This is just my point of view.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I own a Scotty, but they are not worth the money. The only reason I have this on is that I got it for only $39 used at Golf Galaxy. I like it for the stroke alignment aid and I'll keep it for that purpose as practice aid, but I'm looking for a new gamer. I've had it for about a year and it helped fix my stroke, but it's just never felt right in my hands.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

If I really liked one I might buy it... but right now I'm partial to my PING... and yes, they are certainly over-priced as is a lot of stuff. I also don't really understand why some people think that they are the ONLY putter to have... I have always been a proponent of playing what YOU like and what works for YOU.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

IMO, Camerons are not worth the money. I think a lot of the appeal of owning a Cameron is in the prestige and status that goes along with owning what most consider to be a high-end putter.
To me, its much the same as a Cadillac Escalade. Sweet ride? Yup. Does it get the job done any better than a Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon? Not really.
Last year I bought a Scotty Cameron Red-X and didnt like it. It was a nice putter and had good balance, but I just couldnt sink putts with it as well as I could with other putters I owned. I had issues with alignment and with getting the speed right.
I kept it in my bag and practiced every day with it for a few weeks, then I put it back up on Ebay, sold it and bought a blade.
Perhaps if I had bought a Newport I would have liked it, but before I do that, Id go out and spend half as much on a new Odyssey or Ping.
If I really wanted to spend some money on a high-end putter, Id buy a Bettinardi.
Camerons are nice, but IMO like most everything else Titleist (such as Vokey wedges and the Pro V1); their popularity is more a result of aggressive marketing than some sort of superior design.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

IMO, Camerons are not worth the money. I think a lot of the appeal of owning a Cameron is in the prestige and status that goes along with owning what most consider to be a high-end putter.

I don't think that you can compare an Escalade to a Cameron. Higher end cars are generally more expensive for a reason. The engines are better, the suspensions are better, the interior is nicer, etc. (Sometimes this is not the case.) The cost of making a higher end car is high. Therefore, the cost is high.

While I would not spend $300 on a putter, I sure think that Camerons are sweet. The few that I have tried felt different than any other putter that I have played. They just felt better. I don't think they were $180 better, but nonetheless, Camerons are better IMO. They are worth whatever someone will pay for it; if it's $300 then so be it. It makes sense that people collect Camerons. People collect all sorts of things. Coins, stamps, baseball cards, etc. are all collected. They have no intention of actually using it. It makes sense (to me anyway) why someone would want Tiger's putter or whatever.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Very hard to say.....I suppose it's a personal decision and one must decide for oneself what's best for them.

There are numerous super nice putters on the market made by many other manufacts. to simply rule them out.

I think club snobbery is foolish.....I've seen too many guys with "million" dollar games playing with ten dollar sticks....they couldn't give a rat's arse whose name is on the club...only how it performs for them. Don't ever bet against these fellas.

One the flip side, though, don't begrudge someone for wanting to own a premium stick even though their skill level isn't "there".

Go with whatever brings pleasure and enriches your golf experience.

I am proud of the "Made In Usa" aspect of the Scotty line. On the other hand, "The Made in China" label on my YES putter doesn't stop it from working out nicely for me.....on the occasion that I'm putting hot that day.

I feel the fit and finish of the Scotty products I've tried to be flawless. I also have found that to be true of the PING products I've owned over the years. The color phase paint sceme on my YES putter is simply awesome...it does some wicked changing in full sunlight. It seems to be a very well made stick, too.

$300 for a Scotty........$230 for another leaders sticks.........it's all about what works best for you and fits your eye and stroke. A premium putter does seem to be a better investment in your game than a $400 driver that you stroke ten times per round.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

We just bought my wife her first set of clubs. When we got to selecting putters, I told her to go and try out every putter there that appealed to her eye. Then decide which one felt the best when she hit the ball and don't look at the price tags.

She has virtually no brand recognition and has absolute no idea of price.

She narrowed down choice to Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0, Cleveland VP1 and Odyssey White Hot XG. I said nothing about her final three only to select the one that gave her the best feeling. She ended up with the Odyssey. Later I told her about the Scotty and how it is often coveted by golfers. She said it was a very close call between the two.

My point is that Scotty must be doing something right in terms of feel and look to attract players, however there are other manufacturers that also come close for a fraction of the price.

In the end if the chips would have fallen the other way. I would have absolutely gotten my wife the Cameron without hesitation, even as a brand new golfer.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

Note: This thread is 3758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!