IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As others have said, I think it's a matter of personal taste and what makes you feel confident on the course. I'm sure that some people putt better with a Cameron solely because they have more confidence by using it and not from any superior design, which is perfectly fine. And I'm sure others get the best feel from a Cameron than any other putters they have used. In any case, do what works best for you.

Also, if you want to make comparisons, I think Scotty Cameron putters are somewhat analogous to Apple MP3 players. You pay a lot for the design, R&D;, and novelty of the product both because it raises costs and they can charge higher markup for the brand name and novelty of their products. A premium product from a premium name garners a premium price.
Driver: HiBore XLS 9.5° Fujikura Fit-On M Gold S-flex
Fairway: 2008 Speed LD F 5W
Hybrids: 2009 Rescue TP 19° and 22°
Irons: 2009 Burner 5-AW with Superfast 85 Steel shafts
Wedge: CG14 Black Pearl 56°/14°Putter: Black Series i 2-BallBall: e6Bag: Sasquatch Tour

Putting is such a personal thing, as Eyreck alates to. Personaly, when i walk through a shop and look at putters, this is what i see,

TMade- Ew, big nasty lookin spider, weird feeling insert.
Oddysey-Some mediocre feeling inserts, ugly ass desighns, (minus the black series)
Clevland- Nice looks, but not crazy about the feel
Ping- Some nice, but semi muted feel in the karsten series, the rest have funky inserts.
Mizuno- different feel.
Scotty- Different feel, lots of choices that are not the same (All the tmade putters have the same insert, all the oddysey putters have the same insert etc etc)

Meaning that if you take, say, a studio select, first you have a few different shapes to choose from, that are not as crazy as oddysey, with a clicky feel, wehreas if you go to the Circa lines, you have another good selection of shapes, but a very soft, smooth feeling putter.

So for me, it came down to scotty because there were more than a few options, and the putters all had a very distinct feel to them, be it clicky, soft, way soft, or a mallet, a B60 type look, or something classic, to funky, the options were all there. Thats what i like, and the company that comes closest to that is mizzy (Of the rack companies that is of course) thats why i chose them.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I have a couple of thoughts when it comes to Camerons and as a Cameron owner myself.

Unless you're really good at holing out from off the green you will use your putter more than any club in your bag so get the very best one you can. For me I tried out a friend's Pro Platinum a few years ago and just knew then from the feel that was the putter I wanted, there was something that no putter I'd used could match. They'd stopped making them so had to get one on ebay but I didn't mind.
I'll let you know in a week or 2..........I just purchased a Red X3 for $200 brand new w/trade (Rossie II)..........You only live once. If I don't like it I will put it on ebay.

Sounds high. You can get them for quite a bit cheaper than that!

Ive also noticed A lot of people that buy them do not game them. They just use them as a inside practice putter or hang them on the wall. Which is great if thats what they want. Ive seen tons of putters out there that look exactly like a Cameron putter for a fraction of the price. But each to their own.

Like anything high end there are collectible versions too. Personally I can't see the point of the Tour models, they can easily fetch 10x the cost of the off the rack versions and for what seems like pure bragging rights.

Some of the limited editions are just gorgeous though... For some people the Cameron thing can go a bit far. I guy who works at my local driving range says a regular there has a Cameron fetish and reckons he has more than $30k of Cameron gear...then there is the Cameron Collector website where some people have rooms in their houses devoted to Scotty Cameron gear!
To me, its much the same as a Cadillac Escalade. Sweet ride? Yup.

Could have fooled me

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

I have a friend that just bought his girlfriend a Cameron "My Girl" putter for Christmas off Ebay. He went.....hold your breath.....$500! Now tell me that is not conspicuous consumption. She started playing this year.

I do believe Camerons are well made. I believe they are worth the money. I also believe there is a little bit of "The Emperor's New Clothes" factor in there as well. But how much is mojo really worth? $100, $200 extra? I'd say that depends on who is buying it. Most importantly, unless you have the short game of Seve or Watson, you are going to use the putter more than any club in the bag.

Take my putter for example...a Nike Unitized, forged and milled from the same 303 stainless steel as the Redwoods and Camerons. The new price was originaly $250-$300 dollars. Would I spring $50 more for a Cameron? Hell yes! Who wouldn't? But I got it, rather my GF got it for me for Christmas, for $85 brand new. I have no complaints whatsoever.

If you want a Cameron, go for it. I think that secretly in our minds, all of us would like to have a Cameron in our bag that we could take 29 putts per round with. I also think that we would like ANY putter in our bag that we could take 29 putts with.

I'm squarely on the fence.

I should also add, that any of you that pay more than 200 for a scotty are out of your minds.. they are worth that, yes, but that doesnt mean you hve to pay it..

Heres what i have paid for mine..

Circa #3-140
Circa #1 1st of 500- 150
Futura-100
TeI3-140
Newport-100

Any and all of those, especially the 1/500, are retailing, at some point, 200 plus. Yet i didnt pay near that mark..and all of these were in very good condition..

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I have a friend that just bought his girlfriend a Cameron "My Girl" putter for Christmas off Ebay. He went.....hold your breath.....$500! Now tell me that is not conspicuous consumption. She started playing this year.

$500 sounds pretty cheap for a 'My Girl'...Coincidentally I also considered getting one for my wife for Xmas and she has just taken up the game.

Why is it conspicuous consumption? Is buying a Mercedes conspicuous because I could buy a Kia? Is buying a 3 carat diamond ring conspicuous because I could get Cubic Zirconia? People have different levels about what is and isn't normal. My friends can't understand why I own three Breitlings when I can only wear one at a time and a $20 Timex can tell the time perfectly, I can't understand why a friend of mine spent $800 on a pair of jeans...it's all relative.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Sorry guys, I just dont see the appeal of Camerons and I personally dont see myself owning another.
Honestly, I probably wouldnt pay $200-$300 for a Bettinardi either.
Nothing against anyone who chooses to spend that kinda money on any putter, to each their own.
I didnt find that I putt any better with a Cameron than I do an Odyssey or a Ping (which costs half as much), but thats me.
If gaming a Cameron makes you putt better, more power to you. I still think the appeal of Camerons is more of a prestige and status symbol kinda thing.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

$500 sounds pretty cheap for a 'My Girl'...Coincidentally I also considered getting one for my wife for Xmas and she has just taken up the game.:8

Because she (my friend's GF) really couldn't putt any better than with a Kmart special.

Is buying a Mercedes conspicuous because I could buy a Kia?

Maybe a little. I'd say it depends on if you are a serious driver that would appreciate all the advantage of a well crafted car or just needing a point A to point B type of car.

Is buying a 3 carat diamond ring conspicuous because I could get Cubic Zirconia?

Not at all. I know more about women than that. Haha.

People have different levels about what is and isn't normal.

I totally agree with that!

My friends can't understand why I own three Breitlings when I can only wear one at a time

I don't even know what that is. In context I'll assume it's a watch. Of course you could use 3 different watches. I'm thinking one silver, one gold and one with a leather band.

and a $20 Timex can tell the time perfectly,

I dunno if it can, but I will spring for a Bulova. Those keep great time. To an extent, I believe you get what you pay for.

I can't understand why a friend of mine spent $800 on a pair of jeans...it's all relative.

I agree again. I am obviously coming from a totally different socio-economic strata from anyone paying $800 for denim pants. But I refuse to "player hate" on them for that.

You know what I mean.

I agree again. I am obviously coming from a totally different socio-economic strata from anyone paying $800 for denim pants. But I refuse to "player hate" on them for that.

Amen to that. I could never bring myself to pay $800 for a pair of jeans.

To each their own though and like you said, no reason to player hate just because someone has more expensive tastes than I do. If someone has that kinda money to spend and thats what they like, more power to 'em.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I had played an Odessey white hot #6 for a few years, and recently switched to a SC studio design 2.5. It is awesome!! I think that it has the best feel out of any putter out there. But don't buy a putter because of the name on it...go out and hit as many as you can. And maybe you'll like SC's collection as much as I do

R7 SuperQuad 10.5 Aldila nv 65-s
Burner 15 UST proforce V2
Pro Gold Tour Prototype 23 Matrix Ozik
Pro Gold Tour Prototype 18 Matrix Ozik
AP2 5-PW Vokey SM52.08Vokey SM56.10Vokey SM60.04 Studio Style Newport 2

I thought I really wanted a Scotty putter so I went to the store to go try some. Bumped into odyssey black series, hit it and fell in love. Rolling putts better than ever. You gotta go out and find that special one.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cameron makes a very nice putter, that much is certain. As others have stated, putters is a personal matter. What looks and feels good for one person may not have the same appearance and feel to another. Are Cameron putters better than the $49 Blue Light Special? I would say absolutely! Are there other putters for the same cost of slightly less just as good as a Cameron? Again, I would say absolutely. In comparing Cameron high end putters (tour putters, 009s, etc), there are offerings that are every bit as good (even better, IMO) than the offerings coming out of the Studio.

For example, the 009 putter Cameron designed in one of the finest refinements to the Anser. However, $1,500 (resale) - ~$2,200 (retail) is a heavy price to pay when a Byron Morgan DH89 is available for 1/3 to 1/4 of the same price. I feel that a Morgan putter is definitely a better putter, in terms of workmanship, than any Cameron OTR putter and rivals any of the Tour/Garage putters. Morgan putter sweet spot is in the dead center of the face where many of Cameron's putter sweet spots are not.

If people want a Cameron putter, be assured that the putter will be a fine putter. However, there are offerings (Morgan, David Mills, Tom Slighter, etc.) that will offer a putter designed and manufactured every bit as well but with the option of personal attention from the manufacturer. Unless a person is a Cameron insider or Tour player, forget about Cameron attending to your putter. It just is not going to happen.

I used to think Camerons were just hype. I was happy with my ping anser 2. Until i had a chance to play a round with the older studio stainless older studio stainless model. It was so well balanced and had such a good feel i just had to go out and get one for myself. The feedback they give you is addictive. I am very happy with my Scotty.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I have played a number of putters through my golf career. I have played Odessey, Ping, titleist, and SC. I played a scotty last year for the first time and probably putted the best in years. I am not saying that my form was better with the SC in my hand, but I would probably accept that my confidence was higher due to the feel off the face of the putter. I find that a lot of inserts now are too soft and it's difficult judge speed with them.

With that being said I have recently been trying the Taylormade Spider and have fell in love with it...might have to add another to the pile.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

to answer the original poster, IMO I say no they are not worth it.

To each their own though

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

to answer the original poster, IMO I say no they are not worth it.

I feel very similar to this poster. . .although I won't lie, I just recently purchased a Scotty Squareback. I've not used it on a real green, to darn cold right now. But, it feels very light. I've not found the control with it yet. I'm going to be installing a Winn Jumbo grip. That's what I've got on both Rifes I own.

Rifes=the way to go. Smooth, great weight. U can adjust the lie with the tool they send with the putter. I cut 4 to 6 strokes with my 2bar hybrid last season. The Rifes will be in the bag more than the Scotty. . .at least that's how I feel right now.

I'm in the market for a new putter, and lots of people say to get a scotty cameron are these putters really better and worth the money or are you just paying for the name.

Absolutely, just bought a Scotty cameron studio select newport 1.5 the other day. I said to myself, if I make 1 of these 5 putts (from about 45 feet) i'll simply leave and buy it. Putt, within a foot. Again, within 6 inches. The 3rd time. Bam! I was still a bit worried about cost say I said w/e if i can hit BACK to the previous hole i was putting to, i'll buy it. So i putt. BAM! She rolls into the back of the cup, very very impressive. I loved the feel and look of the putter. The price tags are high but confidence is very important in putting. And hey, why would they be so epensive if they weren't crafted to PERFECTION?

if i was going to spend $300+ on a putter i would get a custom made putter (Sunset Beach, Machine, 350Milled, Byron, Slighter). you get all your personal stampings done however you want them, and get a custom made putter built to your specs. but camerons are good putters too. just depends on what YOU prefer

Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!