IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This offseason the major golf purchase I want to make is to buy a new putter. And of course when thinking of putters everyone always starts with the Scotties. However, I was wondering if these putters are really worth the $100-$200 extra that they go for? Is the quality really that much better then the other name brand putters out there? Any information that you can contribute would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The two putters that I've looked at so far are the Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport or the TaylorMade ACGB Daytona 1.

• Administrator
This offseason the major golf purchase I want to make is to buy a new putter. And of course when thinking of putters everyone always starts with the Scotties. However, I was wondering if these putters are really worth the $100-$200 extra that they go for? Is the quality really that much better then the other name brand putters out there? Any information that you can contribute would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

What kind of car do you drive? Do you own any artwork? Have you ever bought something with a brand name when a generic model was available?

Scotty Camerons are worth the cost if they're worth it to you. It's that simple. For me, I appreciate the craftsmanship and the style. His putters are beautiful to look at. I tried, for example, a Yes! putter that was $100 less than the Red X I use. It sounded bad and just looked "cheap" in a way that you'd never see with a Scotty Cameron. Or a Bettinardi, etc. Something like 30-40% of your strokes in golf come with the putter. It's the one area of my game where I vowed never to skimp, because if I have the slightest bit of doubt in the putter in my hands, aesthetically, aurally, etc., I am going to miss the putt, or I'm more likely to at least. He wouldn't charge more if the market didn't see the value and pay what he requests. So his prices are worth it to those who buy them, and not to those who go less expensive. So the real question is: are you one of those people or not?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What kind of car do you drive? Do you own any artwork? Have you ever bought something with a brand name when a generic model was available?

I agree with you Erik. I have never seen a putter (or a golf club in general) look as good as a Scotty Cameron. If people are willing to pay $300+ for a driver that they use only maybe 12-14 times a round then how much more so should you be willing to pay that for the single most important part of the game?

Thanks for your insight. Now excuse me while I find my black jumpsuit and ski mask..... I have to pay a visit to the local bank.

I agree with you Erik. I have never seen a putter (or a golf club in general) look as good as a Scotty Cameron. If people are willing to pay $300+ for a driver that they use only maybe 12-14 times a round then how much more so should you be willing to pay that for the single most important part of the game?

Just go to Ebay and there are tons of reputable sellers..and if you don't mind slightly used you're going to save more. I own 2 SC's..do I putt better with them..yes..why?..because it makes me FEEL like a better player. True, I baby them but maybe that's why I putt better with them. Anyway, there's no buyer's remorse with a Scotty. People realize you take the game seriously too with one in the bag IMHO.

Well this is the putter that I have in fact chosen to treat myself with this offseason, the Titleist by Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.

Unfortunately there are not many choices for a left handed golfer if you want to buy a Scotty Cameron. It has gotten better, but I can't believe that companies are still making products primarily for right handed golfers and then throwing some scraps to us lefties.

• 2 years later...
I'm in the market for a new putter, and lots of people say to get a scotty cameron are these putters really better and worth the money or are you just paying for the name.
In the bag
driver- G5
3wood-
5wood-
irons- cpr 4-pw[B]wedges[/B]- 52,56,60 cg12putter-odyssey:

I'm in the market for a new putter, and lots of people say to get a scotty cameron are these putters really better and worth the money or are you just paying for the name.

Both. Most of the time, if you have a Scotty Cameron, you'll feel more confident.

90% of putting is half confidence. (hehe). The more confident you feel, the more putts you'll make.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

Both. But to say whether or not a putter is worth it, is a personal thing. Some love them, others dont. I prefer Odyssey, but it was just a personal preference thing for me.

I certainly don't regret my SC putter. The feel seems more 'buttery' than other putters which almost immediately allows for better feedback on distance control.

I have the Circa 62 #2 with the Black Oxide finish...and i simply think it looks better than other putters that i have seen.

If you have big flaws in your stroke you wont become a better putter. However, if you have a reasonably sound stroke, i think you can expect an improvement in feel and distance control

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

Both. But to say whether or not a putter is worth it, is a personal thing. Some love them, others dont.

I guess that's true. It all depends with how you feel when you use the putter.

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

I just purchased a new SC Studio Select a couple of weeks ago. Was using an Odyssey 2-ball prior, a great putter in its own right. I want to move away from the insert and something with more feel. I went to the local golf store and tried all the new milled offerings such as Ping Redwood, Bettinardi, Rife, Odyssey, etc.... IMO, the SC felt the best. The weighting and feel is excellent compared to the others. They also hold their value quite well. The others simply do not.........

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I think people who expect an expensive putter will make them better at putting are being unrealistic. But in golf one can never ignore the mental aspect of the game. The placebo effect if you will. The danger in following trends though is that once something loses it's allure you're in danger of finding yourself right back in the same boat again. I would encourage someone to experiment with different styles of putters before zeroing in on a particular brand. That way you'll find out what you like and then you can make a purchasing decision that you'll know you'll be happy with for many years to come. Putters are like women. When you find a good one you keep it!

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I will agree with the majority here.

I bought my SC not too long ago and have not been happier with it. I really do enjoy it.

I think that since I have had it, my confidence has gone up in my putting and I have been putting much better than I used to.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

To each his own.

I've tried a couple scottys vs a couple odysseys and i just LOVE the feel of odyssey.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Don't just jump on to the scotty cameron train. Get one if you try a bunch of putters and really like the scotty better. If you're looking for more traditional looking milled putters, try (in addition to the scottys) bettinardis, oydssey black series, and ping redwoods. Also give rife, yes, and other odysseys a try. I was given my scotty by my dad but if I had 300 to drop on a putter right now, I think I would rather spend it on a yes! callie f forged or a bettinardi putter.

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

It seems hard to justify 300 dollars for a putter, especially one that has no insert or anything special. Its just a piece of metal and if it helps you putt better then great, but its probably just a placebo effect

Driver: 3DX Square 12*
3Wood: 30 dollar dicks piece of ____
Hybrids:3DX 20* and 23*
Irons:3DX Red 5-PW
Wedge:Vokey Spin Milled 56.10PutterDF-990 33 in

If you have $200 or more to spend on a Scotty Cameron, I'd say do it. They're remarkable clubs. But other good names are Guerrin Rife, and Yes! putters that are a little less than SCs but are still great clubs.

It seems hard to justify 300 dollars for a putter, especially one that has no insert or anything special. Its just a piece of metal and if it helps you putt better then great, but its probably just a placebo effect

Well, if you divide the price of a club by the number of strokes you take with it, your putter will be amortized far more quickly than any other club in your bag.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but a putter that you feel confident will aid in scoring more than a driver you feel confident in. So maybe we should be spending more on putters than drivers? I do have a SC, but I got mine used because I was too cheap to pay for a new one.
In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T 10.5º
3-Wood: Titleist 904F 15º
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Note: This thread is 3767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!