IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

well for discussion sake, we're talking about SC's here, not other brands. SC's of all putters have the most fan-boy-esq following. You find it in any staple fan boy's golf bag. the Newport 2 specifically.

yea and also since its so popular people buying them think they cant really go wrong with one. I know if I couldnt extensivily demo a 300 dollar putter or was indecisive on one I would go for the newport 2 because everyone has one and everyone cant be wrong, right? lol

but then again its also one of the most popular designs (anser) tweaked a little bit to make it better, more smooth of a design.

well for discussion sake, we're talking about SC's here, not other brands. SC's of all putters have the most fan-boy-esq following. You find it in any staple fan boy's golf bag. the Newport 2 specifically.

Similar to what mottler said, people use the Newport II style for the same reason they select and Ping Anser, TM Daytona or other similar odyssey design... This isn't a fanboy thing, it's simply a clubhead design language that appeals to a wide variety of players in comparison to sibling head designs.

Same can go for cars... people that drive Camry's or Accords aren't fanboys... these are cars whose traits (size, shape, technical specification) appeal to the masses. Does it make sense to opt for the Lexus ES when the Camry will do, and they are primarily identical cars? Some people value the aesthetics, refinement or feature enough to justify the price differential. Other people buy the Lexus because of the image it offers. Other people don't value these features, and don't opt for the nicer of the 2. Fact of the matter is that a Camry isn't a Lexus ES, element for element. Similarly, a SC and a cast Anser aren't the exact same. There are subtle differences in finishes, materials and features. Like any luxury item (car, clothing, etc) purchase, there is always an emotional pull in the purchasing decision.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I thought the look of the SC Newport 2 was what I wanted, so I bought one...I used it for a year before switching it to a Ray Cook Blue goose mid mallet. Now the SC is in my garage, as I have moved on with the mid mallet style, to a heavier weight putter. At 360 gms., the Slotline SSi-693 has a fantastic easy feel without a ton of graphic stuff on it. You can see it here....

http://www.slotlinegolf.com/p-100-33...t-ssi-693.aspx

The thrill of owning an SC is long gone....and it is more about the "feel" than anything else.

I don't get some peoples attitude about SC putters. It's like some are personally offended at the site of one.

My take is, is that I honestly and really loved the SC putter that I eventually bought. Some will assume I bought it for the name. They would be wrong.

Look. I don't care what one person likes or dislikes in putters or golf clubs in general. Why should I care?

But for some to basically bad mouth others and assume the reasons why they play certain clubs is down right childish.

Grow up.

And like I said earlier, why concern yourself about it? And even if someone wants to play certain clubs for the name, who cares? What's the problem?

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

And like I said earlier, why concern yourself about it? And even if someone wants to play certain clubs for the name, who cares? What's the problem?

For some it's like the childrens fable "The Fox and the Grapes", just sour grapes.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't get some peoples attitude about SC putters. It's like some are personally offended at the site

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand the venom that comes out when people ask if a SC is worth it, and their arguments rarely have anything to do with objective points about the putter or even the subjective points about feel, comfort, and confidence. What is especially odd is that every manufacturer - every one - has similarly priced product in the market. Go to putters on the Golfsmith website and sort by price starting at the highest, and it is interesting that of the top 8 there is one SC, 3 Odyssey models, 3 Yes models, and a See More. Expand the list and some more Scotty's pop up, but so do a lot of Odyssey, SeeMore, Yes, TaylorMade, Pings, etc. But for some reason the SC haters always neglect to mention their own favorite brands also have putters in the same price ranges; do they honestly feel that those are valued fairly while the Scotty's aren't?

The fact is, every other manufacturer ought to kiss Scotty's ring on a daily basis. Without going into the argument of the putter values, what Scotty has achieved is a study in marketing genius. He has taken the lowly putter, previously the least glamorous club in the bag, and elevated it into a profit machine for every company, changing the perception of the putter as art and spawning a huge market of collectibles. Harvard Business School could write a dozen case studies on the business wisdom that Scotty has instilled into this market. Back to the putter's worth, it is true that there are great putters a lot cheaper than a SC, and there are those a lot more expensive (at least for production models). Ultimately a putter is that rare blend of head style and shaft configuration combined with a level of manufacturing quality and an aesthetic appeal that needs to match the user's eye and stroke. I don't think of any other club - not even a driver - that requires this near-magical blend of a bunch of objective and subjective factors. When it all comes together it is wonderful and you sink everything you look at. If it doesn't, whatever you bought is overpriced and irrelevant. That is why people need to really spend time with different putters with a blind eye towards the price tag to figure out what really works for you. In my case, I've recently changed my putting stroke a few times over the last dozen years driving me from my old BeCu Anser to an Ray Cook Blue Goose (a Scotty-designed model although I never knew that until lately) back to the Anser to a Odyssey 2-Ball to a Ping Piper and now to a SC Newport 1.5. In my last buying decision I narrowed it down to 3 different putters that I liked - an inexpensve Guerin Rife, a Ping Redwood, and the SC (price range all over the map) - and spent about 2 hours on the practice green figuring out which was the one I wanted in my hand to sink that putt on 18 to win a match. The SC prevailed, and I never blinked at the price difference, figuring it will be in the noise over the years. If the SC lost out I wouldn't have cared, for even though it was the best machined and best looking of the 3 if it didn't inspire confidence over the putt it doesn't matter. So for those who feel compelled to slam the Scotty's, please at least make it an intelligent conversation. If you want to discuss the benefits of the different steels involved, fine. Manufacturing processes - interesting discussion. Design choices....great. Ability to get the right sizing, or left hand versions.....wonderful. But so many of your retorts sound like the Monty Python "Argument" sketch. And are less constructive.

For those of you who like Scotty putters, whats your view on the California line, specifically the Coronado? I just purchased mine and await its arrival so I figured I would get some opinions on it. The only thing that worries me is lining up a putt. The Coronado only has that little circle on top and no line or anything? Thoughts?

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

For those of you who like Scotty putters, whats your view on the California line, specifically the Coronado? I just purchased mine and await its arrival so I figured I would get some opinions on it. The only thing that worries me is lining up a putt. The Coronado only has that little circle on top and no line or anything? Thoughts?

I like 'em a lot, my Circa 62 No.1 is very similar. Only alignment aid is the circle, works great.

For those of you who like Scotty putters, whats your view on the California line...

I bought the California Del Mar about a month ago and it’s perfect for me.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

For some it's like the childrens fable "The Fox and the Grapes", just sour grapes.

Like clambake said, grow up.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I like 'em a lot, my Circa 62 No.1 is very similar. Only alignment aid is the circle, works great.

How exactly do you use the circle to line up the ball and putt?

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

How exactly do you use the circle to line up the ball and putt?

Set the face up to the ball square (or however you like it), and place the circle behind the ball. That's it.

I say no it is not worth it from a performance stand point. But, if you think it will make you a better putter and give you more confidence, go for it. A putter is supposed to help you make more putts. That's it. I have yet to figure out the allure of designer putters, thank goodness.

Geomax 16 reg - driver
G10 17 4 wood reg
Sumo2 20 hybrid Reg
MX-100 4h, 5h, 6-gap Reg
MP T 10 56.10, 60.08Bullseye putter

• Administrator
That's an awesome story.

It's also somewhat irrelevant, no?

Tiger's won 13 majors with a putter that would probably sell for $10,000 or more if he were to sell it. That means as much as Jim Furyk winning with a $39 putter. Putters are putters. Worth and value are different for everyone. If you want a Scotty Cameron putter, and it's worth it to you, buy one. If you don't, and it's not, don't buy one. They are what they are, and what each individual makes of them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They are what they are, and what each individual makes of them.

Exactly, which was why the story about Furyk was posted in the first place. With as much fuss being made of cost, features, status, as there is this thread etc... playing what helps you score and fits your game seems like a valid point.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Check out this article on Jim Furyk from the Tour Championship, sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story

So, what's the point of Fyruk's story?

That a cheap putter can be as good as an expensive one? (for some, I will agree that that's probably true) Like iacas brought up, it's irrelevant, however. Should I post Tiger's winnings with his SC? But what point would that be making? That you need an uber spendy putter to win a lot? Again, it's a pretty dumb and quite meaningless "point".

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 3739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!