IGNORED

Are gap wedges necessary?

Note: This thread is 3986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't believe so. I have a big gap in my clubs, it goes PW (47 degrees) to 56 degrees...I have pretty good precision in my wedge game, so I can hit the 47 real soft, and choke up, or hit the 56 hard...it doesn't really matter. I will probably eventually go with a 54/60 combo, just to ease the gap a little.

I totally do the same thing, the only difference is I have a 54 degree wedge.

In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

It isn't necessary to have a gap wedge. Tiger carries his PW (49*) and then a 56* and 60* wedges, but he's Tiger freakin Woods and has total control over every shot so he can fill the gap by swinging differently. We however are not Tiger Woods, and need the help of a gap wedge to consistently hit the gap between our PW and our SW. So no it's not necessary, but it's very helpful and will lower your scores.
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

As said, the club definatly isnt neccessary but it is helpful.

I bought my 52* wedge two days ago to fill the gap between my PW and SW and i love it already. When your PW is 47* and your SW is 56* there is a huge gap and it is for it put me in a hard position when i came between 100 and 130 yards because i dindnt know what to hit. with my gap wedge it makes things alot easier. its also nice to use from 100 yards and closer because you can take a nice soft swing and still get it there.
In My SasQuatch tour Golf Bag:
Driver: Tour Burner with UST Proforce V2 stiff shaft
3 wood: SasQuatch 15*
3 Hybrid: X Tour
Irons: X-20 tourSand Wedge: Srixon WG-504 56*Lob Wedge X Tour 60*Putter: Studio Select Putter

I only use my 60* rarely,i think its an unessary club,i am going to take it out of my bag and put my 4 iron back in,what can you do with a 60* that you can't do with a 56*,trouble thats all it is.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

It isn't

A 49* PW is virtually a gap wedge, most have PW at 46*.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

It isn't

My scores aren't any lower with or without a gap wedge. If you're a good wedge player, you can hit a 47 degree pitching wedge 100+ yards (whatever you make out) or you can hit it around the greens. A good wedge player can hit a PW from all distances...you don't need a club for every single yardage if you have any feel and touch inside 100 yards.

For high handicappers, like 20+, I'd say for sure carry one, because you probably don't have that feel or touch that I'm talking about, or any type of distance control..but if you 12 or under, you should be able to carry one wedge and shoot a pretty good score...I know I could.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I took out my 3 iron about a month ago cause i hardly use it and replaced it with my cleavland 52 gap and love the club. I use if way more then i ever did my 3 iron. But I guess it also matters on how far you hit you pw and sw for me there was a huge gap from pw-sw in yardage so thats why I went with the GW to fill the gap.
In the bag
driver- G5
3wood-
5wood-
irons- cpr 4-pw[B]wedges[/B]- 52,56,60 cg12putter-odyssey:

They aren't "necessary" but they do make it a whole lot easier. They allow you to pull a club from your bag and hit it a certain distance without having to choke down or alter anything that you normally do. I think if you demoed one, you would probably buy one.

I think this is correct. While not neccessary, because you can get creative with your pitching wedge or sand wedge, a gap wedge can be perfect for a full shot. I really love mine and use it several times on every round.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

im not saying anyone cant use a 60. What im saying is that people use their 60 too much. Its a club for hitting high shots for when u have little green to use. People, especially high handicappers, use them when they could use a lower lofted club and roll it close.

I have used my 60 degree wedge with a good degree of confidence. I use the flop shot over the bunker. It has saved me more often than not, of late. It is a shot I practice quite often.

Reviewing the lofts of my wedges, PW (46), SW (56), and LW (60), I may benefit from the GW (50). If I can find a GW that is suitable, I may try one and get rid of the 5 wood.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

A gap wedge IS a pitching wedge. An a pitching wedge is a 9 iron with the letter "P" stamped on the bottom. If you have less than 48 or 49* on your pitching wedge you should try a Gap/Approach Wedge. It's like asking if an 8 iron is really necessary.

If I am playing short to a hole I like to leave it around 100 yards-ish for the approach (with my 56degree). If I don't get this spot on, then having extra wedge options (gap or 60degree etc) is a lot more accurate.

Not essential, but useful for me

Driver: KZG Gemini 10.5° Custom Build (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
7 Wood: Mizuno MP001 21° (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
Irons: Mizuno MP-60 (3i-PW)
GW/SW/LW: Cleveland 900 Tour Action 52°/56°/60°
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade
Ball: TaylorMade TP Red / Srixon Z-Star

i hit my pw about 150yds +/- a couple yds, and my gap is a 52º and i hit it about 128 yds...perfect!

thats huge for a pw. you must have some power

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

hah yea i only get my PW 130 xD
In My SasQuatch tour Golf Bag:
Driver: Tour Burner with UST Proforce V2 stiff shaft
3 wood: SasQuatch 15*
3 Hybrid: X Tour
Irons: X-20 tourSand Wedge: Srixon WG-504 56*Lob Wedge X Tour 60*Putter: Studio Select Putter

My GW is my go-to club for 115-120 out and if I find myself in some deeper rough @ 70yds out. All around chipping and what not my SW is my #1 club. I love it from 50 yds and in no matter what the conditions.

MacGregor MACTEC NVG2 8.5* Driver
MacGregor UT2 NVG2
Taylormade VSteel 3W
Cobra IH300 3-PW
Nike SV 56* SWNike SV 50* GWOdyssey 2ball PutterTitleist Pro V1x

Necessary, no, helpful, depends. If you can change up your distances really well, for instance your norm PW is 130, but you can easily take off a 12 yards, and still stick it as close as your full PW on a regular basis, I wouldn't get one. But i do think it give you a lot more options, like if i want to hit a 30 yard bunker explosion, i lay the face of my GW slightly open, and it works perfect.

Personal preference.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

love my gap wedge, i can hit it 95 yards and i can hit it 120 yards, all that matters is where you play it is in your stance. i also use it to chip when i am on the apron and i have a lot of green to work with. Usually, i dont have a SW, but if i had to choose i would choose GW over SW everytime because of the versatility.

909D3 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 7 Lime Green Exotics cb2 15 Aldila DVS S-85 Slingshot 17° UST Irod S-110g G10 21° TFC S-129g i10 S300 Green Dot 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 56° and 60° Made for the Tour AOP Newport PP

Age 16

Home CoursesRoyal Hawk...

A gap wedge IS a pitching wedge. An a pitching wedge is a 9 iron with the letter "P" stamped on the bottom. If you have less than 48 or 49* on your pitching wedge you should try a Gap/Approach Wedge. It's like asking if an 8 iron is really necessary.

There ya go. The Gap wedge became necessary after they gradually strengthened the lofts to where there was a 10* difference between the Wedge and the normal 56* sand wedge.

Well, after much consideration, I have added a Gap wedge to the mix and have removed the 5 wood, for now. I have 2 hybrids and may alternate one hybrid for the 5 wood.

I went to the range to try it out and it fills a huge gap between the SW and the PW. It is about 15 yards shorter than the PW and 10 yards longer than the SW.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

Note: This thread is 3986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!