IGNORED

What is the best golf lesson or tip you ever received?

Note: This thread is 2963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

my friend getting me to really wrap my right hand over my left on my grip. Getting my right palm over my left thumb while gripping the club, especially with driver and fairway woods. Prior to doing this... I would NEVER hit the driver straight, not even on occasion. Since doing that I hit my driver pretty straight on a pretty consistent basis and usually BOMB it. Distance and accuracy off the tee made a lot of difference for me. Rather than being in the trees and punching out with a 5 iron I'm in the fairway hitting a 7 or below.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fix my shanks from Tina Mickelson (Phil's sister) on Golf Channel many years ago, that was the best single golfing advice that i've ever had. Thanks, Tina!!

Driver: Cleveland Launcher 9.5* (UST Proforce V2 65 R)
#3, #5, #7 and #9 Wood: Cleveland Launcher (Cleveland Gold, UST Proforce and Grafalloy ProLaunch regular shaft)
Hybrid irons: 5-6, Adams (Graphite Design YS+ Graphite R)
Irons: 7-PW, Adams Tech OS Hybrid (True Temper GS75 steel R)
Wedges: 52*...

I heard Arnold Palmer say once, "If you want to see a bad shot just look up." That has helped me a lot.

Then again while warming up before my very first lesson my instructor walks over and whispers, "Gary, slow down." That has stuck with me ever since.

In my Sasquatch stand bag
Driver: G5 10.5*
Fairway wood: R9 4 wood
Irons: R7 3-PW OR Firesole 3-PW
Wedges: VR 52-10 56-14 & 260-4Putter: TraceyShoe: Powerband 3.0

Only recently started playing agin and mostly by myself. The other day I did get out with a few wof the old guys at the club and they did give me some good advice. After hitthng a good drive on my second shots they said I was trying too hard to hit the ball. Letting the moment get to me and to just slow down and approach it like any other shot. It made perfect sense, now I just need to find a way to remember that the next time I get out (hopefully tomorrow)
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

Iacas's thread on the biggest secret the hip swing. I always seemed to hit the ball better when my swing accidently felt like those pics looked like but I thought it was a reverse pivot so stayed away from it. Since seeing that I have been the range grass a nice buzz cut and hitting the ball fairly well during a game. Once I get it ingrained to where I no longer have to think about it I should probably be ready to win at Q school..on the Wii. The real course will get me in some other way.

14 at any time: Nike Sumo Sq 10.5 degree, Srixon 12 degree 3 wood, Nike 17 degree 4 wood, Adams 3 hybrid, X-18 irons 3-pw, Callaway 52 degree, Vokey 56 & 60, Taylormade Rossa putter

The biggest one for me ---

If you don't feel right over a shot, mentally or physically, take a deep breath and start over. Never hit a shot when you don't feel right.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I wish I could hold myself to this. Great advice. I've seen Tiger stop himself at the top of his backswing. Amazing.

In my Sasquatch stand bag
Driver: G5 10.5*
Fairway wood: R9 4 wood
Irons: R7 3-PW OR Firesole 3-PW
Wedges: VR 52-10 56-14 & 260-4Putter: TraceyShoe: Powerband 3.0

Some of mine are:

The best piece of advice I was ever given is actually counter to this. I was told to line up down the right edge of the fairway. It seems that my brain knowing that I'm lined up to that side makes my swing better. Don't know exactly why it works, but it does... Most of the time.

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

Trust your read. Get as close to plane on the green to get a proper read on the putt, walk off the green if necessary. When figured out how the putt will go, trust this read when over the ball and putting.

Focusing on this have done wonders to my puttingstats.

The following sticks of wonder are found in the orange bag of carrying
Driver : R9 460 9.5 Regular
Rescue : Halo 2i Regular
Irons : X20 tour 3-p Project X 5.0
Wedges : Vokey 52, XFT 56, 60Putter : VP 109

I really wish I could do this.

The worst feeling is when the club catches the ground on the way back and I still end up taking the shot It never works so god only knows why I carry on. The best piece of advice I have ever been given is always take too much club as most of the dangers lay when you short side yourself.

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

When I realized that the golf swing is a golf swing and not a golf hit...that the left and right side both have to be used to effectively swing.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

As a teenager I tried to rip the cover off the ball with every swing. A local pro happened to be at the range while I chunked and skulled away.

"Swing a little harder, you might hit it next time."

Having come back to the game after a decade away, forcing myself to slow down is still the single most important thing I can do to play better golf.

• 1 year later...

A friend of mine who is a better golfer than I with Freddie Couples like tempo made me play an entire round taking one longer club than I normally would.  In order to not fly the green I had to slow it down.  Immeadatly my ball striking was so much more crisp and my control much more accurate.  He made me realize I had a good swing but was ruining my game by trying to swing way to hard.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

This isn't meant to stroke anyone's ego but I have never felt more confident that I know the anatomy of the golf swing after iacas went on his posting rampage after he met David Weznik.

So read iacas's posts from like August 2009 and on or so. They're better than any tip you'll ever find in a book or magazine.

Over a year and a half later, this still holds true. Except, now I actually know how to spell Dave's name correctly.

And just to clarify, Erik's posts pre-2009 were still excellent; they've just "evolved" over the years.

When I'm at the range or on the course, I am constantly drawing on the many things Erik has written and suggested to me (and the community) about this game. I am no longer frustrated by "not knowing why" so to speak. That by itself is huge. I wouldn't enjoy this game as much as I do if it wasn't for all the stuff I've learned here. That's why I'm a supporter now!

Ultimately, my ability to discern good tips from bad tips is my probably my best learned golf asset -- and I learned how to do that here, over the course of the last three years. I think this ability is invaluable and (as I have proven) learnable if one is willing to listen.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best advise ever was choose to Moe Norman as my model. The advise went on to say if I was not going to choose to swing like Moe, I should choose some other model. Find a swing model and stick with it all the way. Copy everything. Never fall into the a little of this and some of that.

I can look at my swing, look at video of Moe, and know exactly what I'm doing right and wrong. Doing it right is not always easy, but it is a plan that stays the same every season.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Lately it's definitely "rotate the shoulders, don't tilt the shoulders"

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Note: This thread is 2963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!