IGNORED

What is the best golf lesson or tip you ever received?

Note: This thread is 2943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Best tip ever..." hey, you should learn to play golf". --- I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.384044,-119.101901

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Could I start a thread where we post our best ever golf tips? Not videos or long technical treatises from the real students of the game, just small bite size pearls of wisdom which have done us some good. They can be technique tips, scoring tips, swing thoughts, even just pithy remarks with a kernel of golf truth. I am making a collection of golf tips and would love to hear yours.

One of my best:    "Placing the ball in the right position for the next shot is eighty percent of winning golf"
Ben Hogan

• 1 year later...

When putting and hitting fairway woods, weight should be slightly on the heels. With irons it should be a little bit on your toes.

Never hit a put fat after that.

Sorry, but this one gets my attention... Someone could explain it a little more? thanks!

:nike:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

I've had lessons by touring professionals and some information has to be tailored to your swing as it's not the same for everyone.  You can only play better when you have perfect practice, so take lessons and practice on the driving range what you learned. It takes hard work to get better as I once spent four hours in a bunker.  If your not willing to work then just have fun with the game.   One of the best things I did to lower my club handicap is to chart the greens.  I did this by going out to each green in the late afternoons when traffic was down and putted a few balls from different locations to learn the slopes of the greens (front to back and side to side).  Learning the greens speed on a long downhill or uphill putt gives your greater confidence.  As they move the pins I just look at my little flip book to see the slope toward the holes in the different locations.  You have a better chance of making a putt if you know how the green breaks and sometimes you just can't remember (I'm 70 and it happens a lot, ha!).  It helped me win a club championship and two seniors as I felt the extra strokes that won it for me was due to my detail knowledge of the greens giving me an edge.  

You know there has been so many on the golf channel books watching tv it's hard to figure? I think over the years I have found 4 or 5 great tips that make sense more than anything else.

1. Calvin Peete quoted hit the opposite of bad shots mind blowing stuff I know but..

2. Jack Nicklaus quoted never try to hit a straight shot because you limit your self to 15 yards left or right vs a 40 yard fairway to work with.

3. Davis love 3 said tilt your head to the left and where your eyes are looking is where your shoulders are aimed.

There are many more most of the tips like these are subtle to me but help more than drills or technical jargon.

Note: This thread is 2943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!