IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

I love how smallville keeps using John Daly as an example. Talk about an example of how NOT to act. This guy's entire life is a friggin car wreck. You make my argument for me.

And that REI sleeveless shirt; well it IS too shabby to be on a golf course. I don't care if Giorgio Armani personally knits you a sleeveless shirt using his own body hair that sells for $50,000, unless he shaves himself down a little more to add some sleeves, its not proper to be worn on a golf course!

Listen Jethro, its a class thing. Golf is a classy sport. You show class by dressing appropriately. You show respect by dressing appropriatley. You hebetudinous neanderthals out there who hold on to the idea that just because a course doesn't have a dress code means you should act like its laundry day, well you show your true character every time you do that.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted Good for the game. Personally, I am old school and I don't care for slouchy, sloppy attire...don't really care where it is but especially hate it on the golf course. My club has a dress code which is pretty lenient but they do draw the line on inappropriate attire (such as tank tops, cutoff shorts, etc). For me, I still will not wear a mock turtle neck shirt on the golf course, unless it is under a shirt with a true collar. Does it make me a better player...nope.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I love how smallville keeps using John Daly as an example. Talk about an example of how NOT to act. This guy's entire life is a friggin car wreck. You make my argument for me.

I mentioned him what,twice? And that makes me keep using him as an example? Well I figure the way you are talking that a pro is a perfect golf ambassador, just showing that it's not the case. What about Tiger and his club throwing? Oh yeah, that's OK because it is Lord Tiger, the man who can do no wrong. And he always wears sleeves, so that's OK.
Listen Jethro, its a class thing. Golf is a classy sport. You show class by dressing appropriately. You show respect by dressing appropriatley. You hebetudinous neanderthals out there who hold on to the idea that just because a course doesn't have a dress code means you should act like its laundry day, well you show your true character every time you do that.

Yeah, talking down to people is pretty classy there, Milburn. You can show class by not pretending to be better than everyone else. I never said you should dress like it's laundry day. I said if you don't like the dress code of a particular course, do something about it; talk to the owners, get the rules changed. Or go to a course where they tell you what you can and cannot wear and enjoy yourself there. Why subject yourself to the horror of us "Neanderthals" when you can be much more happy down the road at the "Classy" course. I still say I have no problem with a dress code, just don't expect people to have to dress the way you think is appropriate when the course owners haven't said it's against the rules. (Just playing by the rules that I am given, isn't that what golf is all about? I don't see us breaking any rules, which is the spirit of the game.) And, I'm still wondering, there is only ONE cheap golf course in all of Albuquerque you can play on?
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Good for the game. I would rather not play next to someone who looks like he slept in his car.
Bag: Ping Pioneer
Driver: Cobra Speed LD-M
3 Wood: Adams Insight XTD A3 OS
Hybrids: Adams Idea A3 OS
Irons: Adams Idea A3 OSWedges: Adams Idea A3 OSChipper: Odyssey Marxman X-Act ----------Yes I use a chipper!Putter: Odyssey Tri-BallBalls: Noodle

2. The univiting nature of golf. Golf has traditionally had an exclutionary side, that has put up barriers to people playing. Young people don't see why they should have to jump though hoops to pay someone to play a game. 3. Golf is viewed as an old man's game. Certainly the dress codes have contributed to this. Young people are not going to take up the sport if they fell they have to dress like an old man to play. Young players are not taking up the game and replacing the older players that leave (for whatever reason, including death).

Number one...my kid who happens to be 18 and plays to a 1.4 index is far from being embarrassed for the clothing he wears on the course. He and many other junior golfer friends love wearing their Ralph Lauren, Adidas, Nike and what have you. And guess what.....the parents bought the clothing at outlet stores! I showed my kid that shirt that someone posted and I asked him would you wear it on a course...no way was his response. And that's a question I have. With a sleeveless shirt don't you have sweat dripping down your body/arms in the heat? How comfortable could that be? Now after this biddie fest, I'll say that the golfers that are dressing for the "part" are respecting the game that they love and choose to play. The guys out there that want to be comfortable in jeans and sleeveless shirts, all the more power to you guys, I think. But don't be surprised when other golfers look at you a bit oddly.

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

...You hebetudinous neanderthals out there who hold on to the idea that just because a course doesn't have a dress code means you should act like its laundry day, well you show your true character every time you do that.

Wow, are you making things up now? Noone said it was laundry day. I feel like I'm talking with Bill O'Reilly here.

Your true character has been revealed in that comment and it ain't pretty. How one can judge with such conviction someone else without 100% certainty the intent behind it really boggles my mind (as it did others I showed at my job earlier today - I got the Bill O'Reilly idea from them, lol).

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I believe it is good for the game. I have always worn golf shirts and no jeans and made my son abide by the same dress code. I have plenty of workout shirts and tank tops I wear around the house but they don't belong on the golf course!

One thing that bugs me is how games like EA's Tiger Woods series has the galleries look like your setting up for a "Drive By Gangland Shooting"! For many young kids these games may be the first contact with golf and I don't think it presents a good image for how people should dress on the course.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I voted Good for the game. Personally, I am old school and I don't care for slouchy, sloppy attire...don't really care where it is but especially hate it on the golf course. My club has a dress code which is pretty lenient but they do draw the line on inappropriate attire (such as tank tops, cutoff shorts, etc). For me, I still will not wear a mock turtle neck shirt on the golf course, unless it is under a shirt with a true collar. Does it make me a better player...nope.

I may get slammed for this, but here it is:

I dislike the dress and manners of many young people anywhere in public, and especially on facilities like a golf course, IF THEY ARE ALLOWED to get away with it. The low pants, the caps turned to the side of the head, the "I don't care" walk and slump to the shoulders, etc. If they want to dress like that at home or in their cars, fine. In my opinion, the way a person dresses reflects his or her personality. People with pride do NOT have to be told what to wear. They already know and are happy to comply. If a dress code serves as a "filter" to keep certain people away from a public golf course, great! We are better off with them going somewhere else and doing something else. The game of golf is further ahead that way.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

i view my get up of plaid pants, etc as part of a celebration of life, if someone doesn't want to party and have fun, their own choice

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

George W. Bush dresses nicely...Kenneth Lay dressed nicely...heck, Adolf Hitler was pretty dapper for his time...so therefore they are people of good character?

Seriously guys - I'm sorry, but the argument that what you wear reflects on your character is nonsense. Ever hear of the phrase 'Never judge a book by its cover?'

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I may get slammed for this, but here it is:

your a piece of work man. I have to applaud you on that 1st you take out Christians many pages ago (which I called you out on but you chose not to repsond) now your judging people once again for the style of clothes they wear...wow your good Brother....honestly I wouldn't want to play a round of Golf with you or people like you either (your the type that probably presses off their underware and socks as well huh?, I mean since clothing makes a person, as you say) I mean the guys you see with Tattoos all over their body and shaved heads (by your own judgment of people) are probably ex-cons who just got out of prison or something right? or the pretty young girl who is wearing a tight pair of shorts (once again by your judgment of people) has been around the block a few times huh? wow your a tool hoss, and a good 1 at that

If a dress code serves as a "filter" to keep certain people away from a public golf course, great! We are better off with them going somewhere else and doing something else. The game of golf is further ahead that way.

It was always my opinion that a Country Club was a filter to keep "certain people," i.e., riffraff and Neanderthals away. "From a public course?" - - - HUH? PUBLIC NOT PRIVATE. "We are better off with them going somewhere else and doing something else." - - - Yeah, sure, let them go over to your house while you're out golfing and break in and take all your classy stuff, or worse, are your wife and kids home? (you're basically saying they are low life gangster thugs and criminals) instead of giving them an option because you're too good to let them exist on your PUBLIC golf course that management has not enforced a dress code. Again, if you don't like the dress code at your local PUBLIC golf course, then by all means, do something about it. GET THE RULES CHANGED! Or go elsewhere so you can golf in peace and tranquility. If they are not breaking any rules, let it go already. We're never going to agree on this; it could go on forever and we'll all just keep saying the same things over and over and over again, so I am done on this subject (I hope) and am now going to let someone else get the last word in . . .
My Equipment:

I have to chime in on this one. I was at a local course last night to catch a twilight. Its a decent course, well kept with 27 holes but nothing fancy. I'm in the club house speaking with the counter help, and I hear a customer say to his friend, "I was told that I needed to buy a shirt last time I was here because I was wearing a sleeveless shirt. What a joke, its golf not a wedding."

Have you thought that this guy has a better perspective on life?

You and your friends reaction (looking at him in disgust, laughing uder our breath, saying his attire showed a total lack of respect) are the same reactioin I've seen for years from people in church towards those that show up for services not metting some self-righteous dress code. Golf is a game, nothing more. You might want to elevate it to the level of a religion or lifestyle, but it isn't. Instead of smirking at this guy for "not showing respect to the game", maybe you should consider that he understands what is important in life and what isn't. Paying respect to a game falls into the "what isn't" category.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Have you thought that this guy has a better perspective on life?

With all due respect, I would hold the exact same discontent for a person that showed up for mass in disrespectful attire. Certain events in life and a civil society dictate that appropriate dress code be followed, and to carry oneself with a certain level of respect and decorum. Not to mention respect for what you are doing. The expression "Sunday's Best" says it well. When you are at church to worship whatever god or deity you choose, it is respectful to dress properly. Golf, while not religion is a similar situation in that the club has a certain dress code that must be adheared to. The game that has been so good to us deserves the respect of proper dress. If your wish is to simply hack away at balls in your tank top and cuts offs, then please take your antics back to the par 3 course.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

It was always my opinion that a Country Club was a filter to keep "certain people," i.e., riffraff and Neanderthals away. "From a public course?" - - - HUH? PUBLIC NOT PRIVATE. "We are better off with them going somewhere else and doing something else." - - - Yeah, sure, let them go over to your house while you're out golfing and break in and take all your classy stuff, or worse, are your wife and kids home? (you're basically saying they are low life gangster thugs and criminals) instead of giving them an option because you're too good to let them exist on your PUBLIC golf course that management has not enforced a dress code. Again, if you don't like the dress code at your local PUBLIC golf course, then by all means, do something about it. GET THE RULES CHANGED! Or go elsewhere so you can golf in peace and tranquility. If they are not breaking any rules, let it go already. We're never going to agree on this; it could go on forever and we'll all just keep saying the same things over and over and over again, so I am done on this subject (I hope) and am now going to let someone else get the last word in . . .

I knew that I would get slammed. Let me claify my statements with a specific example. We have a family owned PUBLIC golf course by my home village. My son, my daughter, and I were "season's ticket holders" there for over 10 years, and I know the father and son very well. As the father has made very clear, there are no "members", like a private club has, since he is the owner, and he sets the rules. There is a dress code that is enforced and the sign in BIG LETTERS is above the counter in the golf shop. It says that "proper attire" including collared shirts are REQUIRED. One time, a father and son came in to play there for the first time. The Dad was properly dressed. The son was OK except for a collarless shirt that was still a nice shirt. The owner politely pointed to the sign, and asked if the son had a collared shirt in the car. When he was told that he did not, he said, "OK. Here is how it goes. You have now seen the sign and I have discussed it with you. You now know the rules. I will allow you to play today because you did not know the rules. However, the next time, you need to wear a collared shirt, like your Dad has on." Both father and son were fine with that. The course has an excellent reputation for a distance of 50 miles and it draws people who do not want to play with people who dress like "slobs". This policy, on a PUBLIC course, that is not owned by a municipality, but by the family, FILTERS out the riffraff.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I knew that I would get slammed. Let me claify . . .

Might have been nice if you had said all that in the first place, since you knew you would get slammed for it. In this case, you are TOTALLY RIGHT because there is a policy and signage stating the dress code. I have no argument for you WHATSOEVER! A dress code is a dress code. No dress code is NOT a dress code. How many times do I have to say I have no problem with a dress code? Most courses I play DO have one just like you mentioned (albeit, a little late - - -kinda like you were sitting in wait for someone to say something in reply - - -which I DID!). Dress codes are GREAT! Dress codes are WONDERFUL! But they gotta have them and enforce them or the complaining on your part really doesn't mean much.
My Equipment:

The course has an excellent reputation for a distance of 50 miles and it draws people who do not want to play with people who dress like "slobs". This policy, on a PUBLIC course, that is not owned by a municipality, but by the family, FILTERS out the riffraff.

Amen, you hit the nail on the head. I don't wear my golf cleats to the race track (I build race engines for a living) when I am at the track I wear proper track attire. At work, I wear my proper work attire, I don't understand why some people struggle with the topic. I represent the middle point between blue and white collar and I get it just fine.

Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

I am astounded at the quantity of responses this topic generated. I am equally amazed at the vitriolic quality of many of the responses. While I haven't read every post, I am put in mind, by the divide amongst the posters of another debate swirling around our country.

Years ago, people immigrated to the United States in order to seek a better, safer life for their families and future generations of their families. They arrived on these shores prepared to do whatever they had to do in order to survive and thrive. Many of these people came from non-English speaking countries. They quickly learned the language of the realm in order to communicate effectively with the broader population. Nobody said they couldn't be bilingual; nobody said they had to learn English. Circumstances dictated that they needed to and most of these folks were smart enough to figure that out on their own.

Today, many people confuse the need for a common language with the idea that if they have to conform to a common language they preforce give up their heritage, culture and background. This idea could not be further from the truth. A certain agreement among the governed to conform to general laws and statutes results in a relatively civil society. A certain conformity in commerce and the coin of the realm insures a common, if not perfect economy, one which most people can understand and, in which, participate. Conforming to a common language prevents no one from speaking or studying any other language or practicing any cultural ritual within one's cultural or religous community; rather, conforming to a common language gives one the freedom to communicate effectively, if one develops the skills, with the widest possible audience in one's country.

Traditionally, younger members of societies tend to rebel against what they perceive to be the confines imposed upon them by an older more staid generation. Now this behavior is as regular as the seasons. It is probably well refected in this thread, although I'm sure there may be some exceptions.

It would seem that at a minimum, conforming to a certain standard of dress, below which would be considered unacceptable, is not an unreasonable requirement to play on any course ( Country Club, public, etc. ). For example, I don't think its unfair on any course to require decent grooming, pants cinched at the waist, no underwear visible, no t shirts with straps, shorts for men and women that have at least a 4" inseam, bras for women, etc. I don't think requirements such as those impose an onerous financial or social imposition on anyone; rather those rules insure that a certain common courtesy to others is provided by fellow golfers, at least as far as dress is concerned.

Within the restrictions listed above, a wide range of expression of one's individuality is possible.

Now, for those of us that like to present a neat and clean appearance on the golf course and don't care if others think us dweeby because we wear a Tilley hat, there are tons of choices in clothes, shoes, hats, belts and socks that can meet any budget; likewise for those more fashion forward. But at the very least, we can all make the effort to conform to a neat and clean presentation. Just don't confuse the need for some conformity with supressing personal expression or individuality.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Note: This thread is 1366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!