IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

How many Steve Jobs are out there?

OK, reposting cuz I got a bit peeved off - sorry everyone.

I can truthfully say to myself and anyone out here that yes - I might be able to infer things like where one might be from based on attire. But I won't judge one's character - I've met the nicest people that turned out to be homeless. Similarly I've met some serious pricks with the nicest clothing as well. Not sure I'm seeing what you mean.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

degrees of grey... collared shirt requirement is retarded. I played with a guy the other day in flip flops, a white t-shirt and gym shorts... great person that I was glad to play with. He played well, understood the game and showed respect for the course and the players on it.

What is so wrong with that?

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

A dress code is important for several reasons:

1- Patience: if someone is not patient enough to give 2 more minutes of his time to wear more properly, he is definitely not going to be a patient person on the course.

2- Etiquette: etiquette and sportsmanship are the two things that separate it from other sports. Golf requires high discipline, always fix your divots, never toss your clubs, etc. So better also dress up properly to meet the relaxing mood of the golf game.

3- There is a reason: You can't swing properly in jeans, might slip in flip flops (or worse walk in the rough or bunker with them).

However, I am also with being a bit lenient with things, an acceptable snickers instead of golf shoes can be both appropriate and practical. But I'm definitely against treating golf like a trip to play beach volleyball.

I'm one of the few that voted "bad" but in reality, it's probably not really bad for the game.

I play 75% of my rounds in a T-shirt. Sometimes even jean shorts (public course player). However, I'm smart enough to tuck them in, wear a belt, don't wear ripped clothes, etc., etc. & generally look presentable. A lot of folks probably aren't.

Also, when I go to a CC I have no probem dressing per their code. The members that pay the bills should be able to set the rules.

What's in my bag:
Driver: 905R 10.5* Stiff
Fairway wood: 904F 19* Stiff
3-PW: AP2 1* flat with Project X 6.0 shafts
GW: 52*SW: Vokey 56* LW: Vokey 60*Putter: Tri-ballBall: ProV1 (preferred) or PD Super Soft (when I'm feeling cheap)

I voted bad for the game. I'll explain.

This answer gets to the heart of the matter, appropriate at a hgh end daily fee or private club is different than a pitch and putt or muni. As long as basic decency is observed and apparel is not unsafe, {I actually saw a drunk women try to play golf in high heels} each course should be free to choose who they want their clientle to be, and you can decide if you belong there. Other issues such as yelling, club throwing, basic courtesy are more meaningful to me.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

And another - I like Arnie as much as the next guy, but copying and pasting what he said in an article means nothing. I mean you wouldn't copy and paste what Ben Hogan said about putting (that it should count as half a stroke) and treat it as gospel would you?

The Arnie quote was in this month's issue... obviously he has commented on what this group is discussing now... a dressing down of the golfing public. I thought is was germane to the topic. It's not gospel (although some have tried to bring religion into it, eh?)

We all have a right to agree and disagree with Arnie and others who represent the game or are represented on this forum; however, Arnie's observation is one formulated over his years playing the game and associating with those that surround it. He just happens to see it as I do... proper dress is good for the game.
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

The big problem with those people is if you do not have enough sense to dress somewhat appropriately to go to the course, then you certainly don't have enough sense to have any sort of etiquette while on it.

So I can't wear an old tee shirt and a pair of shorts to the golf course? Give me a break, when I voted 'bad for the game' in this poll I was completely amazed by how many people voted yes. Don't cut the game off to people. It's stupid.

Things I Am Good at in Golf

- Hitting it in the drink
- Finding the rough with my drive
- Staying in the bunker- Hitting grassburners all the way to the hole- Three putting- Posting over par on 18 in only 9 holes- Swinging and missing with an iron

The Arnie quote was in this month's issue... obviously he has commented on what this group is discussing now... a dressing down of the golfing public. I thought is was germane to the topic. It's not gospel (although some have tried to bring religion into it, eh?)

Yeah - I remember it (just a month or two ago right?). Like I've said already - I agree that its good for the game, I just don't see the justification for dress codes to be enforced EVERYWHERE. Likewise, I don't see how one can judge character based on attire alone. I pretty much thought that all of his other bullet points were spot on.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

i'm not a big fan of seeing shorts on the golf course. think the usga was wise to ban them from their competitions for the players but think they should take a second look at it why they allow it for the players' caddies. why should i, watching a golf event and seeing fantastically executed shots, have to see another man's bare naked legs??? i often tell folks, more than often young men, who when they ask if they can play along and i see they are wearing shorts, tell them a quick curt "no".

Were you being serious in this post?

So, on a 110 degree day, you would refuse someone who is wearing shorts? Wow. . . . I mean. . . . wow.

I have been a big pro-dress code guy, but I have to agree with Mgoofy24.... And I don't think shorts were discussed as not being allowed. It's what kind of shorts, how are they word, etc... I wear shorts almost all the time from late May to late August here in the northeast. They're cargo shorts too. But, I also wear a decent shirt and it's tucked and I have a belt and I basically look squared away. I'm a big believer in looking like you belong, where ever that may be.

Bottom line is this, when I'm on the golf course, I like to be in an environment where I feel like I'm ON A GOLF COURSE. I also play softball and go to the gym, but when I'm doing either of those things, I don't have khakis and a polo shirt on. And, again, some people fail to understand my point about sizing people up before the first tee, but I'm a pretty good judge of character, and yeah, I do take into account what people are wearing and if it's a public course and they wanna wear their tee shirt and jeans I don't have to play with them.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Some of us don't own as you guys would say "proper golf attire" to be able to go through a whole week wearing nice clothes without doing laundry every night. I have a few nicer shirts and a nice pair of cargo shirts I would consider looking nice. I wear it when it's clean. When it's not, I just wear plain old shorts and an old sports tee shirt. Just because some people don't look the part doesn't mean they are bad people or bad golfers. Ridiculous thinking by anyone who thinks that.

If you saw me on a golf course and would refuse to golf with me because I was wearing my favorite attire (old yellow baseball shirt with bright yellow shorts) and wouldn't want to golf with me because of how I looked than that's just sad. You need to quit golf and go find someone to help you mentally.

- Staying in the bunker- Hitting grassburners all the way to the hole- Three putting- Posting over par on 18 in only 9 holes- Swinging and missing with an iron

I'm just going by my experiences playing in this part of the country. And I do have every right to decide who I want to go out with and judging from past experiences, I have learned to pick and choose more.

As for proper golf attire, I golf probably once a week. Given the laundry schedule between my wife and I, which we do about once a week, that makes for, conceivably, one decent non-tee shirt. I wear suits all week, used to wear jeans and a tee shirt. I was always able to find something decent to wear.

As for the mental help, while I may need it for somethings, this isn't one of them, and judging by the poll responses, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Jason Allison
---------------

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

As for the mental help, while I may need it for somethings, this isn't one of them, and judging by the poll responses, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

That's not put just directly at you, but everyone who has replied with the same preconceived notion on golfers who don't dress up spiffy to go golfing. Just because you're in the majority doesn't make you right. It's like if someone goes to church that's homeless and is wearing an old sleeveless tee shirt and jeans that are cut open and they tell him to get out because he's not dressed nice enough for church. It's completey wrong.

I am for dress codes. This is coming from a guy when I was in high school that didn't own a collared shirt and really wanted to play a nice course in the area so I went in the nicest shirt I had and the club house actually had me wear employee shirt so I would meet the dress code. I don't think they need to be over the top, but they help people have respect for the course.

Here is a little rant because last night I went golfing and the group in front of us was out to get a tan (i.e. no shirts) and so I called the club house because there is hardly ever any rangers out. I don't know why it bothered me so much, but they got called into the club house when they were done. I don't know if I overreacted by patrolling the course or if I should have just let the clubhouse take care or it.

In My Bag:
Driver: 907D2 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 13*
5 Wood: 906F2 18*
Irons: : MP-32: 3-PWWedges: : Vokey 54.10 and 60.4Putter: Circa 62 Charcoal Mist Model #6

Yeah - I remember it (just a month or two ago right?). Like I've said already - I agree that its good for the game, I just don't see the justification for dress codes to be enforced EVERYWHERE. Likewise, I don't see how one can judge character based on attire alone. I pretty much thought that all of his other bullet points were spot on.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why there needs to be justification for an establishment to set a dress code. In the case of a country club the membership votes on the dress code. If you are not in favor of the code then you can find another CC with a more lenient code or conform.

Regarding the "judge of character on attire alone." I'm not as sharp as others may claim to be on this subject; however, I have been in the corporate world for 20+ years and have traveled all over the world and have observed the following: Attire goes a long way to determining first impressions and individual preferences. Individual preferences lead to interests and experiences and that leads to life choices. We all choose to let people get closer to us or push them away by our behavior which begins with how we think. First impressions are hard to overcome - they can be overcome... but seldom are without an exhibition of something unusal like the way one speaks or carries oneself. This works in every culture. Attire is not the only thing that qualifies the character of a man but it's usually the first glimpse people get.
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

If there was a dress code at the course and these guys were in violation, you did the right thing. The club will deal with it.

With the costs of golf escalating on many courses there are few marshalls policing the course.
iQuestGolfer

So I can't wear an old tee shirt and a pair of shorts to the golf course? Give me a break, when I voted 'bad for the game' in this poll I was completely amazed by how many people voted yes. Don't cut the game off to people. It's stupid.

I was actually finished posting here until I was quoted and has this written about my quote.

Lets get something straight, I do not ever want to exclude anyone from the game of golf. I simply want the people who play it to gain an understanding that an old tee shirt and ratty pair of shorts ARE NOT correct attire for a golf course. There is not a person in this forum that can convince my that anyone who can afford clubs, balls, and green fees, cannot afford a cheap polo and some decent khaki shorts. If having to wear correct clothing to play golf makes you feel like not playing then really and truly maybe golf is not your game. Understand this, people voted yes in such a majority because for the most part people realize golf is special and therefore should be treated with respect. Respect is shown by dressing appropriately. Side note: Just for S&G; I went to Wal-Mart and priced a decent golf outfit. Golf Polo (pretty nice too) = $14.95 Shorts= $11.95 So for $26.90 + tax anyone can look like they have a clue on the golf course. Thats cheaper than a green fee at a lot of places.
  • Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's like if someone goes to church that's homeless and is wearing an old sleeveless tee shirt and jeans that are cut open and they tell him to get out because he's not dressed nice enough for church. It's completey wrong.

Alright, I think we've hit the wall here. You comparing people with enough money to golf to homeless people being tossed out of church like a drunken sailor shows how desperate you are to find some justification for your looking like a slob.

To quote Daniel Day Lewis at the end of There Will Be Blood, "I'm finished."

Jason Allison
---------------

Note: This thread is 1372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!