IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

I like dress codes. I may play like crap, but i look decent.

I get mad when i see a guy in mesh shorts and cutoff shirt playing better than me.

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

I think dress codes are good for the game.

However some of our group did get in trouble at Myrtle Beach in Dec for wearing denim. You could wear rain suit pants but not denim. If it was April-Oct sure, but in the winter I dont see where it matters much.

Titleist 983E 9.5 Accra 65 Stiff Shaft
Titleist 906f2 15 Bassara Stiff
TM Burner Rescue 19
Titleist AP2 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 52, 56 Ping Craze g2i

Alright, I think we've hit the wall here. You comparing people with enough money to golf to homeless people being tossed out of church like a drunken sailor shows how desperate you are to find some justification for your looking like a slob.

Great movie...though to be fair, the comparison to church has been made earlier in this thread to support that dress codes are good for the game. I think 'I'm finished' as well with this. Pains me to think it bothered me so much in the first place.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I would expect someone with jean shorts and tee shirt to be yelling to a friend in another fairway or talking loudly while someone is putting. I would find more people drunk on the golf course with their own cooler.

BUT that is not the rule. BY Far the most courtesy and skill shown to my wife and I was a golfer named Moose. two birdies and an Eagle in 9 holes. My wife asked him" why do you play HERE" His response was because I like to wear tee shirts and I like the people here. His handicap was + 2.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Presentable? I can wear a t-shirt to university, to see my grandmother, walking down the street, but not at a golf course?

Word. Why is golf any different from any other sport? Why is golf a "fancy occasion that requires any different sort of attire? I'm not saying that I mind a dress code at a private/country club place but at a place where 18 holes costs 22 bucks is rediculous and discourages growth of the sport. It gives it a reputation for being just something for rich people. And why does a tshirt look messy or unbecoming. Just because it isnt traditional doesnt mean it is inapropriate or looks bad.

Driver: 3DX Square 12*
3Wood: 30 dollar dicks piece of ____
Hybrids:3DX 20* and 23*
Irons:3DX Red 5-PW
Wedge:Vokey Spin Milled 56.10PutterDF-990 33 in

Word. Why is golf any different from any other sport? Why is golf a "fancy occasion that requires any different sort of attire? I'm not saying that I mind a dress code at a private/country club place but at a place where 18 holes costs 22 bucks is rediculous and discourages growth of the sport. It gives it a reputation for being just something for rich people. And why does a tshirt look messy or unbecoming. Just because it isnt traditional doesnt mean it is inapropriate or looks bad.

Exactly. Most people I talk to about golf say 'oh I don't golf it's a rich boy's game'. A tee shirt doesn't make you look like a scrub. If I went anywhere in town in a tee shirt and a pair of shorts no one would think anything of it. I'm just glad we don't have people like the majority of you at my golf course who would tell me off for what I wear. I guess the game of golf isn't about having fun... it's about dressing nice. My apologies.

Things I Am Good at in Golf

- Hitting it in the drink
- Finding the rough with my drive
- Staying in the bunker- Hitting grassburners all the way to the hole- Three putting- Posting over par on 18 in only 9 holes- Swinging and missing with an iron

Generally, I don't mind wearing a collared shirt.

That said, if it's 107 degrees and I'm playing on the shitty public course here ($15 for twilight hours is amazing, however not well maintained AT ALL) I don't see why I can't wear a t shirt.

If you want me to look fancy, make the course look fancy.

If you want me to look fancy, make the course look fancy.

Maybe that's why I have my opinion I do. I play at a public golf course that isn't very nice to be honest. I don't ever see people dressed up fancy to play golf. Almost everyone looks like me, or worse. That's why I probaby find it so strange people would want to force everyone to dress so proper for gofling.

Things I Am Good at in Golf

- Hitting it in the drink
- Finding the rough with my drive
- Staying in the bunker- Hitting grassburners all the way to the hole- Three putting- Posting over par on 18 in only 9 holes- Swinging and missing with an iron

Every other sport seems to have dress codes at club level, so why shouldn't golf?

Muni level is different, the paying golfer should be able to wear what they like.

In my opinion the importance of dress code and its effect on the game depends on the level of exclusivity of the golf club, it would be bad for golf if your local muni introduced a strict dress code and at the same time it would be bad for golf if a private club slackened its dress code.

In my opinion of course.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Two reasons for the yes.

If I understand you correctly, it seems to me that you're a bit on the fence. First, you say that proper clothes create an expectation or incentive for good behavior. OTOH--and no, I'm not an economist, thank you--you espouse, er, skirting along the edge of the rules. If clothes influence behavior, wouldn't this edgyness carry over into manners as well.......leading to perhaps a decrease in expected behavior?

If there was a dress code at the course and these guys were in violation, you did the right thing. The club will deal with it.

True enough, especially about the lack of marshalls, although at many courses, they often didn't do much even when they were more plentiful. If it were up to me, I'd prefer the marshalls enforce slow play rules, and get on golfers who don't fix ball marks, rake traps, etc. If they have any time left over, then go after the sloppy dressers. Those are my priorities, anyway.

would you perchance, be a hooligan?

No, i just found a pic and put a caption with it to argue one side of the argument. Heres one to argue the opposite, all in a joking manner.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

No, i just found a pic and put a caption with it to argue one side of the argument. Heres one to argue the opposite, all in a joking manner.

Actually - thats pretty baller if you ask me...

Edit - ermmmm...grammar?

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!