IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

Dress codes are purely arbitrary, and reflect what the originators see as "proper".  Actions show respect or disrespect far more clearly than attire possibly can.

As you must know, you've just acknowledged that attire can show respect.

35 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I'll go one step further.  They are ALWAYS made because the course believes that overall, it benefits business.

:beer:

Yep. That's the point I made earlier - dress codes are made because they help the business. The business owners clearly feel that more people would literally choose to play elsewhere than they could add by relaxing the dress code. So one is implemented.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

48 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The answer there probably does vary, in at least a few cases the dress code decisions could limit business.  In my neck of the woods, there are lots of options, from lower-cost courses run by local towns and park services, to extremely high end private clubs. 

Great post Dave.

I tried to make this point earlier. There are so many options. Those courses which care about attire and those which do not both seem to be prospering.

So maybe dress codes are good for golf - so long as there are an abundance of options.

Jon

15 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Great post Dave.

I tried to make this point earlier. There are so many options. Those courses which care about attire and those which do not both seem to be prospering.

So maybe dress codes are good for golf - so long as there are an abundance of options.

I can second that, the course where I work would have a very difficult time implementing a dress code, it would hurt business as it is a municipal course.

It is interesting to see the difference in golfers though throughout the day at my course. You first have the early morning "senior contingent" most wear collared shirts, but I would not classify most of them as dressing "nice". These are the guys who always walk, never buy anything, and like to play 18 holes in 2.5 hours and go home. Then you have the mid morning "serious players" who dress to the nines, hit a large bucket to warm up, play the back tees (although 95% aren't good enough) and have 100 different bets going at one time. They like to hang around after the round in the bar. Then around 1:00 you have the "general public" who come in with the tee shirts, sweats, jeans, street clothes etc. They play slow as molasses, but the course makes the most money off them because they all take carts, they all eat, and they drink the beer cart dry. Implementing a dress code would run off many of the afternoon players, so it would make no sense. I won't go into specifics, but my boss makes no money off of greens fees, all his profit comes from carts, range, food/drink, and merchandise. He loves afternoon play!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Uhhhh, so… regarding cargo shorts…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't consider those "cargo shorts" just because they have a pocket on the side. I have Nike, and PGA, brand shorts that have that "side pocket". To me "cargo shorts" are those ugly, oakball-looking, past the knee, with huge, puffy pockets, that stick outside the rest of the shorts. Tigers shorts are classy looking for a classy guy.

Never trust anyone, other than a girl, that has animal head covers…    😂

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted "good".

I have plenty of golf apparel from the main golf brands; I bought them all on a massive sale and for one brand I have a connection.

When wearing golf apparel I naturally feel more comfortable on the course and when swinging. In the same way I feel more comfortable when I dress up smart-casual for the office, or when I wear workout clothes to the gym. The other day I saw a guy wearing a cotton polo shirt in the swimming pool and it was disturbing.

Although I agree with dress codes, I don't mind if someone does not comply with the dress code as long as they do not affect others.

Nave

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Those shorts are a similar cut to his dad jeans. So at least he is consistent. This is my kind of fashion too!

Tiger jeans.jpg

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 11/7/2017 at 11:12 AM, NM Golf said:

I can second that, the course where I work would have a very difficult time implementing a dress code, it would hurt business as it is a municipal course.

It is interesting to see the difference in golfers though throughout the day at my course. You first have the early morning "senior contingent" most wear collared shirts, but I would not classify most of them as dressing "nice". These are the guys who always walk, never buy anything, and like to play 18 holes in 2.5 hours and go home. Then you have the mid morning "serious players" who dress to the nines, hit a large bucket to warm up, play the back tees (although 95% aren't good enough) and have 100 different bets going at one time. They like to hang around after the round in the bar. Then around 1:00 you have the "general public" who come in with the tee shirts, sweats, jeans, street clothes etc. They play slow as molasses, but the course makes the most money off them because they all take carts, they all eat, and they drink the beer cart dry. Implementing a dress code would run off many of the afternoon players, so it would make no sense. I won't go into specifics, but my boss makes no money off of greens fees, all his profit comes from carts, range, food/drink, and merchandise. He loves afternoon play!

Oh my God! You nailed it. These are exactly the people who go to the course I play. (my home course?) For a long time I've been a "Serious Player". I wear golf attire, usually play the back tees (in fairness they aren't that much longer and I've broken 80 from them several times.) I even like to hit a bucket to warm up. 

I'm a little worried, however, because lately I've started identifying with the "senior contingent" quite a bit. Does that mean I'm getting old???

Back to the topic. I work a sales territory and basically I wear golf attire every day. Khakis and a golf shirt are basically my work uniform. The only variation is when I will occasionally wear jean instead of Khakis because I'm planning on helping a customer with a start up and I might get dirty. 

So, when I go to the course I either just switch shoes or if its hot I'll also switch to shorts. BTW - My shorts look very much like what Tiger's wearing above. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 hours ago, David in FL said:

Never trust anyone, other than a girl, that has animal head covers…    😂

Do school mascots count? lol

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

basically I wear golf attire every day. Khakis and a golf shirt are basically my work uniform.

I'm in a similar boat, just sub in jeans for khakis and the occasional flannel shirt.  I'm an engineer at a factory, so golf shirts are comfortable but still presentable.  So if I play after work it's really easy to change into shorts and be set.  Although there is one course I've played where I've actually changed FROM a golf shirt into a t-shirt as it was honestly more suitable.  It was a nice 'performance' type one but still a t-shirt...

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

13 hours ago, iacas said:

As much as I swing from his balls, his fashion choices can be egregious at times.

Even his tournament slacks don't quite fit right even tho they are tailored.

Colin P.

21 minutes ago, colin007 said:

As much as I swing from his balls, his fashion choices can be egregious at times.

Even his tournament slacks don't quite fit right even tho they are tailored.

He has to do something to cover those scrawny calves.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

We're surprisingly lucky here. We have well over 300 course here in Iowa.  About 40 courses within 30 miles. 

Iowa Golf Courses

The majority were once farm fields.  Lots of small town 9 hole courses that typically are pretty lax on the dress code just to keep people showing up. 

Lots of courses have no issues with descent jeans and T shirt.  Some even allow shorts and No shirt once they get on the course.

I keep a nice pair of shorts and a collared shirt with me to change into.  Later in the season, I have no problem wearing descent jeans.  A lot depends on which course i'm playing. 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

32 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

We're surprisingly lucky here. We have well over 300 course here in Iowa.  About 40 courses within 30 miles. 

I grew up in Iowa, Des Moines and Urbandale, and played high school golf at Woodside, north of Des Moines up toward John Deere (where I worked a couple summers).  Played tournaments all around . . . Winterset, Coon Rapids, Iowa State, Urbandale, etc.

Then sorta took about 40 years off.

Edited by Cartboy

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Those shorts are a similar cut to his dad jeans. So at least he is consistent. This is my kind of fashion too!

Tiger jeans.jpg

OMG - Not the WHITE Belt !!!!!!!!!!!  Those things should be banned !!!!!!!!!! :-D 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

13 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

WHITE Belt

I do not own a white belt, but what's up with the anti white belt sentiment in this forum?

I do not really get it. What am I missing?

mafs what GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

Nave

Note: This thread is 1365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!