IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

It was a very rampant fad for a while.

Like white-framed sunglasses in the FL fishing community.

Easy target, easy thing to make fun of is all it is.   

Full disclosure: I wore a white belt the other day to the range, but my shirt was untucked and hid it (my shirt was designed to be untucked, and did not hang down to my thighs).

51 minutes ago, Nave said:

What am I missing?

The Humor in such something simple, minor, and easy to pick on.  Notice all the smiley emojis.........

In my case, it started with the outrageous clothes Rodney Dangerfield was wearing in Caddy shack. 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, IowaGreg said:

OMG - Not the WHITE Belt !!!!!!!!!!!  Those things should be banned !!!!!!!!!! :-D 

Nothing wrong with a white belt. I have one for my spring/summer attire. It can be reversed as the other side is textured grey.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I think a dress code is good for the game in general. I am sure it can be too strict in some cases and way too relaxed in others. 

For the record: I like the white hat, white belt, and white shoe combo from time to time. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nave said:

I do not own a white belt, but what's up with the anti white belt sentiment in this forum?

I do not really get it. What am I missing?

mafs what GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

Speaking on behalf of the anti-white-belt society, 

The white belt should be reserved for people selling ice cream and sailors. I'll also allow painters to wear them, but even then its iffy. Otherwise white belts should be exclusively limited to female pop stars. 

If a male must wear one (and assuming he's not selling ice cream or in the navy) then by no circumstances should he be a male with a waist size bigger than 30 inches, and he'd better be under 30 years old. 

the fact that Rodney Dangerfield is wearing one while TRYING to dress like a doofus should be an indicator of what my generation thinks of white belts. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

16 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Speaking on behalf of the anti-white-belt society, 

The white belt should be reserved for people selling ice cream and sailors. I'll also allow painters to wear them, but even then its iffy. Otherwise white belts should be exclusively limited to female pop stars. 

If a male must wear one (and assuming he's not selling ice cream or in the navy) then by no circumstances should he be a male with a waist size bigger than 30 inches, and he'd better be under 30 years old. 

the fact that Rodney Dangerfield is wearing one while TRYING to dress like a doofus should be an indicator of what my generation thinks of white belts. 

Wow.  Why do you care what someone else wears?  I understand a general dress code rule to a degree, but a white belt?  I think a white belt looks good so long as the shoes are white.  That's the key--you want your shoes and belt to match.  Typically your hat (if you wear one) also matches or is a complementary color.  I wear black hat, black belt and shoes.  I also wear (GASP!) white hat, white belt and white shoes.  Sometimes I'll wear white hat, brown belt and brown shoes.  By no means do I follow the "Rickie Fowler look," and I don't think a white belt necessarily reaches that threshold.  THAT look is more about the flamboyancy of the whole package.  Even then, who cares?  He's still wearing "golf attire"--it's just the bright colors.  I think I'll also concede a bit to the traditional notions to say that, also this is very context-specific.  If playing with friends at your home course, I don't think it matters much on the attire; just have fun.  I wear a polo and short typically.  If however, you are playing at a "nicer" course on the road, you haven't played there before, or if playing with corporate clients/partners, you should err on the side of conservatism.  Here, I would wear "simpler" shirt (no logos or a Ralph Lauren polo) with pants and tucked.  I would also likely skip out on a hat.

To be fair, I think your blanket statement against white belts is pretty silly.  White belts aren't destroying golf.  I think I have made a pretty reasonable statement that most people tend to follow anyway.

23 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Wow.  Why do you care what someone else wears?  I understand a general dress code rule to a degree, but a white belt?  I think a white belt looks good so long as the shoes are white.  That's the key--you want your shoes and belt to match.  Typically your hat (if you wear one) also matches or is a complementary color.  I wear black hat, black belt and shoes.  I also wear (GASP!) white hat, white belt and white shoes.  Sometimes I'll wear white hat, brown belt and brown shoes.  By no means do I follow the "Rickie Fowler look," and I don't think a white belt necessarily reaches that threshold.  THAT look is more about the flamboyancy of the whole package.  Even then, who cares?  He's still wearing "golf attire"--it's just the bright colors.  I think I'll also concede a bit to the traditional notions to say that, also this is very context-specific.  If playing with friends at your home course, I don't think it matters much on the attire; just have fun.  I wear a polo and short typically.  If however, you are playing at a "nicer" course on the road, you haven't played there before, or if playing with corporate clients/partners, you should err on the side of conservatism.  Here, I would wear "simpler" shirt (no logos or a Ralph Lauren polo) with pants and tucked.  I would also likely skip out on a hat.

To be fair, I think your blanket statement against white belts is pretty silly.  White belts aren't destroying golf.  I think I have made a pretty reasonable statement that most people tend to follow anyway.

My sarcasm radar went off on his post. I think he was injecting comedy.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

45 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Who knows?

I sold ice cream in the Navy in my military days.

Even then we did not wear white belts. We wore BDUs, as we were always combat-ready with our ice cream.

Nah, I'm just kidding.  Ice cream isn't USN stuff.. that's USAF.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Apparently not very well. Truthfully I dont care at all what you wear. I'm just of the age where white belts were associated with guys like Herb Tarlick. I'm actually a big Rickie Fowler fan. I like his clothes on him, if I personally try to wear that style I look like that old guy whose trying a little too hard to be young and hip. 

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

White belts ARE ruining golf! What's more you are ruining your life with that haircut, young man! 

Now, Get off my lawn!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Apparently not very well. Truthfully I dont care at all what you wear. I'm just of the age where white belts were associated with guys like Herb Tarlick. I'm actually a big Rickie Fowler fan. I like his clothes on him, if I personally try to wear that style I look like that old guy whose trying a little too hard to be young and hip. 

White belts ARE ruining golf! What's more you are ruining your life with that haircut, young man! 

Now, Get off my lawn!

Herb would never have been caught dead WITHOUT his white belt.:-P

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

Herb would never have been caught dead WITHOUT his white belt.:-P

With the shoes to match. I loved that show. 

9 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

With the shoes to match. I loved that show. 

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Back on topic. One thing I probably wouldn't wear that the pros do all the time is white pants. Mine would be filthy.

I do think that dress codes in general are okay for golf. It is kind of similar to restaurant requirements.

Scott

My Swing Thread

30 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Apparently not very well. T

His humor was quite easily ascertained by me, and obviously a couple others.

• Thumbs Up 1

White belts are cool. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

7 hours ago, 3jacker said:

I sold ice cream in the Navy in my military days.

Even then we did not wear white belts. We wore BDUs, as we were always combat-ready with our ice cream.

Nah, I'm just kidding.  Ice cream isn't USN stuff.. that's USAF.

I'm wondering if you mean that in the same vein that my Army veteran Brother does. The U.S. Air Farce! Although, now that our step-Nephew is is serving there, my Brother does allow that the Air Force is the best branch of service to move up in rank, and money, quickly! Looks like the kid is going to be a lifer! 

6 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Well, that's only because you would be exactly that! And I haven't worn a white belt since college, and I'm 66.

6 hours ago, 3jacker said:

His humor was quite easily ascertained by me, and obviously a couple others.

Yep! Sometimes it's tough to read humor, or sarcasm, or irony in the written word, but that one was easy! 

I re-clicked on this thread and read my last post. Man! I must have been in a mood that night! The thing is, it's like something my buddy used to tell me back in the day. "Remember where you are!" My buddy and I played a couple of years in a 2 man league at a little, bust-out 9 holer out in the semi-boonies. Guys would show up to golf in cut off jeans, cargo shorts, sandals, t-shirts, tank tops, or no shirt at all! 

We also play at courses where the dress code is quite a few notches north of that, and we understand that. It's like the difference between going to an outdoor rock & roll festival and attending the symphony. I can accommodate either, and I clean up pretty well!

I voted good for the game but if the course doesnt have a dress code then I wear black jeans (nice ones) and t-shirt or collared shirt with a black nike hat / white Titleist had and new Footjoy golf shoes : )  

13 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

outrageous clothes Rodney Dangerfield was wearing in Caddy shack. 

Yes, that was funny. I agree! Some day the TST will celebrate the White Belt Day 🙂 

13 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

anti-white-belt society

hahahahaha 🙂

Nave

Note: This thread is 1344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!