IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

On 3/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, Fourputt said:

So does that mean you wear plus fours with a coat and tie?  That is what was worn 100 years ago.  Or some of the images I've seen from the 18th century of men in what would be formal dress today, and women in ankle length full dresses.  Now that would uncomfortable to nth degree.

Just messing with you, but styles change - have changed throughout the history of the game.  I conform to the norms of courses I play.  If that's neat shorts or slacks and polo shirt, then I wear those.  If, like the places where I play most often, the codes are more casual, then I don't worry about it. 

I most often will still dress in the current standard for golf attire, but I may just be stopping off for a quick 9 holes like I did yesterday for my first time out this year, wearing the jeans and t-shirt that I happened to have on at the time.  Such attire is not only acceptable at that course, but is pretty much expected.  Since at least 3/4 of the membership are farmers and ranchers, and other blue collar types who support them,  you will see just about any sort of general work clothes on the course.  No one bats an eye at what someone wears to Tuesday men's league, since most come straight from work to the course, wearing what they did all day.  Yet they all respect the game and the course - many of them, like my wheat farmer father-in-law, helped build the course.  They have a vested interest in it.

I was a bread man for 20 years and wore a uniform every afternoon to play. I’m not talking about that situation more tge wife beater/skimpy clothes that have no place in some circles. Jeans are ok tee shirts too if clean and don’t have bad words on them. One of our members wears the loudest clothes he can find and no one says a word. Lol. Stuff that Daly would shun

• 5 months later...

Funny thing, there was just a youtube post about this, basically calling dress codes "bullying"...... I simply pointed out that courses having a dress code was not bullying and if you wish to not follow a dress code you can choose another course. For this, I was called narrow minded.... Alrighty then.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I pretty much only play munis, and it varies from day to day for me. Most of the time its a collared shirt and shorts (Ohio humidity in the summer) but sometimes it's spontaneous and after work so it is jeans and a t-shirt on those days. I don't see anything wrong with jeans and t-shirts as long as they aren't vulgar and you respect the course. I've played with too many people that dress "appropriately", but don't rake bunkers, replace divots, and repair ball marks.

If I'm going somewhere private/semi-private, I will check their website for a dress code and follow it, but those times are few and far between. I can see having a dress code at these places and it makes sense, but when a muni has a collared shirt/ no jean policy, they are just hurting the game because it's just one more thing people have to buy to get into the game. Golf is unpopular as it is, and courses shouldn't be driving new people away with too many restrictions.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I pretty much only play munis, and it varies from day to day for me. Most of the time its a collared shirt and shorts (Ohio humidity in the summer) but sometimes it's spontaneous and after work so it is jeans and a t-shirt on those days. I don't see anything wrong with jeans and t-shirts as long as they aren't vulgar and you respect the course. I've played with too many people that dress "appropriately", but don't rake bunkers, replace divots, and repair ball marks.

If I'm going somewhere private/semi-private, I will check their website for a dress code and follow it, but those times are few and far between. I can see having a dress code at these places and it makes sense, but when a muni has a collared shirt/ no jean policy, they are just hurting the game because it's just one more thing people have to buy to get into the game. Golf is unpopular as it is, and courses shouldn't be driving new people away with too many restrictions.

I don't have a problem with a course having or not having a dress code. I've golfed in jeans and a t-shirt many times and I've had to dress much more formally many times. I didn't see anything wrong with either side. Though, typically the courses were much nicer where the dress code was required so, in my mind, it made sense to want people to dress nicer.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

@Jeremie Boop, @Bonvivant.

One thing is for sure. You'll have to really try to offend if you want to get kicked off Madden on Saturday.

Given that it's West Dayton, you might want to avoid the Stars & Bars. Probably no bare midriffs and make sure your pants/shorts cover the cheeks.

7 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

@Jeremie Boop, @Bonvivant.

One thing is for sure. You'll have to really try to offend if you want to get kicked off Madden on Saturday.

Given that it's West Dayton, you might want to avoid the Stars & Bars. Probably no bare midriffs and make sure your pants/shorts cover the cheeks.

Lol, quit fantasizing.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I can see having a dress code at these places and it makes sense, but when a muni has a collared shirt/ no jean policy, they are just hurting the game because it's just one more thing people have to buy to get into the game.

You can get reasonable khakis and a collared shirt at a TJ Maxx or something for about $15. Given the overall cost of golf (or many recreational sports for adults), this isn't a real barrier.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can get reasonable khakis and a collared shirt at a TJ Maxx or something for about $15. Given the overall cost of golf (or many recreational sports for adults), this isn't a real barrier.

Yep! 3 or 4 years ago I finally discovered moisture wicking clothing. I started picking up pieces on sale at places like Kohl's, TJ Maxx, Marshall's etc. A couple years ago I was in a WalMart and noticed clothing under the "Ben Hogan" label. All moisture wicking, well made, good looking stuff at 16 bucks and change! I picked up some stuff on closeout for as little as $9! 

This stuff is more comfortable than denim and cotton, and better looking to boot. I won't wear anything else in the warm weather no matter where I'm playing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

SPOT ON!! With all of the discount stores around today, wearing a simple "polo" style shirt and shorts other than jeans is not cost prohibitive. I personally don't care if folks wear nice clean t-shirts or jeans, or cargo shorts...whatever, but collared shirts are not an expensive option. I also agree with what @Bonvivant said...I've seen plenty of golfers dressed in fancy clothing with expensive gear that don't fix divots, don't rake traps and don't follow cart rules, so the dress isn't an exact indicator of how well the golfer will follow etiquette on the course.

I usually choose to wear a golf shirt and golf shorts when I play and have taught my son that is the generally expected attire.  My wife will buy such clothes for us cheap at TJ Max. Every once in a while I will wear cargo shorts or a t-shirt, but never a tank top. 

I live in a rural area with a lot of redneck golf on dog tracks and see plenty of tanks tops and cargo shorts. 20 years ago when I played more often I would even see people playing shirtless.  I haven't seen that lately.

I don't care what you wear as long as you don't play slow or act obnoxious.

War Eagle!

17 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yep! 3 or 4 years ago I finally discovered moisture wicking clothing. I started picking up pieces on sale at places like Kohl's, TJ Maxx, Marshall's etc. A couple years ago I was in a WalMart and noticed clothing under the "Ben Hogan" label. All moisture wicking, well made, good looking stuff at 16 bucks and change! I picked up some stuff on closeout for as little as $9! 

That's actually what I wear most of the time on the golf course.

Spending money on clothes is never part of my plan.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:16 PM, Bonvivant said:

I don’t really see how munis having a dress code is hurting the game. I mean, how much does a polo shirt and a pair of decent shorts cost?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

3 hours ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I don’t really see how munis having a dress code is hurting the game. I mean, how much does a polo shirt and a pair of decent shorts cost?

Probably not much in comparison to the clubs most of us carry.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 9/3/2019 at 8:05 PM, iacas said:

mood GIF

People are willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on cellphones, fancy coffees, and energy drinks, but suddenly a pair of khakis is going to send folks into bankruptcy.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

6 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

That's actually what I wear most of the time on the golf course.

Spending money on clothes is never part of my plan.

Exactly my thinking! I'm retired so I only have so much money coming in per month. So I am always searching for bargains, including clothing, greens fees, food, and everything else! Heck, I'd go play the local muni if it was in better shape! A pretty tough 9 hole track that I played a lot in my high school days. Decent track, but the conditioning is absolutely abysmal!

Point taken. I wasn't really thinking about the exact price of clothes, but more the image/strictness of the idea of a dress code. It isn't inviting to outsiders to have them walk up to a club house for the first time, excited to try something new, only to be turned away because they didn't wear the right thing. New players should be doing their research beforehand, but I don't see a reason why street clothes should be unacceptable on a muni.

9 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Point taken. I wasn't really thinking about the exact price of clothes, but more the image/strictness of the idea of a dress code. It isn't inviting to outsiders to have them walk up to a club house for the first time, excited to try something new, only to be turned away because they didn't wear the right thing. New players should be doing their research beforehand, but I don't see a reason why street clothes should be unacceptable on a muni.

It has a lot to do with the municipality behind the muni.

For example, the City of Dayton golf courses, to which I belong, have no dress code policy. Generally, if you cover your bits and pieces, you have no problem.

On the other hand, Centerville (a wealthy suburb of Dayton) and Yankee Trace has the policy shown below. It should be hardly surprising since that community demands brick facade on its gas stations. Playing golf in a jeans and a wife beater just doesn't happen in warm and cheerful Centerville.

Dress Code (April 1st – October 31st)

To protect the rights and privileges of all persons at Yankee Trace, proper attire must be worn at all times on the golf course and on the practice facilities. Blue jeans, bathing attire, T-shirts, gym and tennis shorts, cut-off and short shirts, tank tops, halter tops and other similar dress are inappropriate. Bermuda length shorts, approximately 3 inches above the knee, are recommended. Collared shirts or mock necks are recommended. In order to provide the best playing surface possible, metal spiked shoes are prohibited.

Dress code = good for the game. Although, just not real strick. I had to laugh, I saw a guy in bib overalls and t-shirt the other day for league play. Couses are becoming lax in their dress code restrictions. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Note: This thread is 1371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!