IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

I dont think dress codes are neither good or bad for the game. It just is what it is. But with the way the materials and construction in golf apparel have progressed, i don't know why you wouldn't want to wear golf gear over jeans or heavy cotton cargo shorts. Golf gear is much more light and comfortable than what it used to be even 10-15 years ago. 

For somebody that only plays once or twice a year, i get it that they might not want to buy extra clothes just for golf. So i have no problem with that crowd wearing whatever they feel comfortable in. Where i feel dress codes are bad for the game is when places have ridiculously restrictive or arcane policies that are designed to exclude. I played at a club in Mass once that had a a policy that only black or brown belts could be worn, and shirts couldn't have "abstract designs"  or fluorescent colors. I had to remove this native american patterned belt i was wearing or else they wouldnt let me on the tee. That kind of crap is just stupid.  It was kinda like they were trying to prevent rickie fowler or something from playing there..

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I dont think dress codes are neither good or bad for the game. It just is what it is. But with the way the materials and construction in golf apparel have progressed, i don't know why you wouldn't want to wear golf gear over jeans or heavy cotton cargo shorts. Golf gear is much more light and comfortable than what it used to be even 10-15 years ago. 

For somebody that only plays once or twice a year, i get it that they might not want to buy extra clothes just for golf. So i have no problem with that crowd wearing whatever they feel comfortable in. Where i feel dress codes are bad for the game is when places have ridiculously restrictive or arcane policies that are designed to exclude. I played at a club in Mass once that had a a policy that only black or brown belts could be worn, and shirts couldn't have "abstract designs"  or fluorescent colors. I had to remove this native american patterned belt i was wearing or else they wouldnt let me on the tee. That kind of crap is just stupid.  It was kinda like they were trying to prevent rickie fowler or something from playing there..

Pretty much my thoughts. Not every course needs to have strict policies about dress. I mean, they all should have a least "shirt, shoes, etc" type rules, but for nicer courses I think requiring at least standard golf attire is fine. There's no need for restrictions on colors, patterns, or whatever.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is a privilege for each of us to be able to hit a tiny ball into a hole on acres of manicured land. Most humans will never get to participate in such conspicuous consumption. From the equipment to the technical knowledge of biomechanics to the pretty cart girl, we are in debt to those who envisioned and adapted the game before us.  Show some modicum of respect for the game and its centuries of history. Rake the sand trap.  Don’t crowd the group on the tee box in front of you. And just wear a friggin’ shirt with a collar.

<drops mike>

16 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

It is a privilege for each of us to be able to hit a tiny ball into a hole on acres of manicured land. Most humans will never get to participate in such conspicuous consumption. From the equipment to the technical knowledge of biomechanics to the pretty cart girl, we are in debt to those who envisioned and adapted the game before us.  Show some modicum of respect for the game and its centuries of history. Rake the sand trap.  Don’t crowd the group on the tee box in front of you. And just wear a friggin’ shirt with a collar.

<drops mike>

I think the courses need to realize that they are privileged to have us pay to play golf. I also think the behavior of golfers is far more important than how they are dressed. The game doesn't know if someone is wearing a collared shirt or a tee shirt. Being polite to other golfers, and taking care of the course are a lot more important. Respect for the course, and fellow players = respect for the game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

It is a privilege for each of us to be able to hit a tiny ball into a hole on acres of manicured land.

10 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

I think the courses need to realize that they are privileged to have us pay to play golf. 

Truth be told, you are both correct. It's a mutual privilege.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I’m a believer in the open market. In my area, industrial, commercial, retail and residential developments are effecting recreational land values prompting land owners to let’s say, consider other sources of revenue like selling off their property assets.

I’ll put it this way. If those in T-Shirts, Cut-Offs and Flip Flops are enjoying and routinely patronizing my local course, making it a viable business in lieu of (any) other type of real estate development, then so be it. 

Also in the spirit of the open market, if another facility believes an appropriate dress code for their targeted market suits their business model the best, again so be it.

Truthfully I’m rooting for the latter over the former!

Bad for the game. 

I would play barefoot, shirtless in board shorts if I could. since that is generally frowned upon i typically don black athletic shorts and a solid colored t shirt; even on the nicer courses I play. If a dress code is in effect, Ill wear a polo and some nicer shorts only out of necessity. I think golf needs to be more inviting to the common man, and people need to get off their high horse when it comes to the "tradition" of the game. The golfist attitude is off putting to a lot of common folk who only get out a couple of times per year. 

Unless someone is wearing a wife beater, those should not be allowed in public in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

<drops mike>

Ya just had to bring your philosophical side into it, didn't you?  (Picking up mic and dropping it again for good measure)

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

If you really want to show your respect for the great sport of golf, you would wear this.

Image result for golf, plus-fours

There's a place in Oregon where they have a special tournament every year... and you do wear that!  And play with hickory shafts.  Hmm... did hickory shafts come in regular and stiff?

2 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

The game doesn't know if someone is wearing a collared shirt or a tee shirt

I get 10 more yards off the tee with a collared shirt.

1 hour ago, ballziez said:

Bad for the game. 

I would play barefoot, shirtless in board shorts if I could. since that is generally frowned upon i typically don black athletic shorts and a solid colored t shirt; even on the nicer courses I play. If a dress code is in effect, Ill wear a polo and some nicer shorts only out of necessity. I think golf needs to be more inviting to the common man, and people need to get off their high horse when it comes to the "tradition" of the game. The golfist attitude is off putting to a lot of common folk who only get out a couple of times per year. 

Unless someone is wearing a wife beater, those should not be allowed in public in the first place. 

Wife beaters are bad but shirtless is okay? Not sure I get that. And golf is inviting for the common man, I played last weekend for $20 so it doesn’t have to be expensive and playing in a pair of shorts and a shirt with a collar is not asking too much.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

10 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

Wife beaters are bad but shirtless is okay?

obviously I don't golf shirtless, it would be nice when It is 95 with 100% humidity. and it would serve my tan well. Wife beaters are just an eye sore, I was being facetious on that matter. 

I feel it's pretentious to expect everyone to wear a collared shirt while they whack a ball around a big field. especially at a place that cost $20.

3 minutes ago, ballziez said:

obviously I don't golf shirtless, it would be nice when It is 95 with 100% humidity. and it would serve my tan well. Wife beaters are just an eye sore, I was being facetious on that matter. 

I feel it's pretentious to expect everyone to wear a collared shirt while they whack a ball around a big field. especially at a place that cost $20.

I don’t see it as pretentious at all. Just because the tee time was discounted doesn’t mean I’m going to show up in a tee shirt. I like the fact that most courses have a dress code, to me it’s part of what I like about golf.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

If you really want to show your respect for the great sport of golf, you would wear this.

Image result for golf, plus-fours

Hell no. There's no way I'm going to wear a bowtie to play golf.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, jetsknicks1 said:

Wife beaters are bad but shirtless is okay? Not sure I get that. And golf is inviting for the common man, I played last weekend for $20 so it doesn’t have to be expensive and playing in a pair of shorts and a shirt with a collar is not asking too much.

Hell, you should be allowed to play in your pajamas if you want to...

And you should be welcome in a fine-dining restaurant wearing your ballcap backwards.

Tennis in your briefs anyone?  White, of course.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Probably posted this before, but two things come to mind for dress codes. If the course has them, then enforce them. If they are not going to enforce them, then don't have them. 

Also, if men are required to dress a certain way, then so should women golfers. Fair is fair. 

I have only been confronted once about my clothing. I was dressed in cargo shorts, a sleeveless tank top shirt, ball cap, sun glasses, and golf shoes with socks. I was there to use the short game practice area. Not to play. It was also around 115*f outside.

New manager/counter guy saw me, and called me on it. Said I needed a collered shirt to use the facilities. "Just to practice" I questioned to no avail. I apologized, and said I would leave immeadiately. No problem. 

Went out to my truck put on a collered shirt, over my tank top, unbuttoned, and I was good to go practice. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

3 hours ago, ballziez said:

If you don't like it, QUIT! Don't go to a nice restaurant either in your junky clothes because "YOU" don't care about dressing appropriately for the occasion. Besides, you should consider "golf clothes" a uniform. The same uniform you would wear in any other sport.

"Besides, you should consider "golf clothes" a uniform. The same uniform you would wear in any other sport."

I hadn’t thought about it this way, but it makes a lot of sense:  dressing appropriately for golf IS like a uniform.  No one would tell the coach of the football or baseball team that they didn’t want to wear the uniform.  The only difference that comes immediately to mind is that those are team sports...

And BTW, women golfers follow clothing standards, just as the men do.

39 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

If you don't like it, QUIT! Don't go to a nice restaurant either in your junky clothes because "YOU" don't care about dressing appropriately for the occasion. Besides, you should consider "golf clothes" a uniform. The same uniform you would wear in any other sport.

I can't think of a single leisure activity that requires a uniform. Uniforms are pretty much only used in schools, prisons, jobs, and team sports, of which golf is none. This is the exact pretentiousness that he was referring to.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!