IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Laws and rules are good for a healthy Society because they sustain it and uphold it. The same is true about a golf course or Country Club, when people follow the rules it is a stronger and happier place.

Edited by Billy Z

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Laws and rules are good for a healthy Society because they sustain it and uphold it. The same is true about a golf course or Country Club, when people follow the rules it is a stronger and happier place.

That's what the rules of golf are for. Much rather play with an honest and respectful slob than a cheating person in nice clothes.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

That's what the rules of golf are for. Much rather play with an honest and respectful slob than a cheating person in nice clothes.

The Rules of Golf have nothing to do with society.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

55 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

So there aren't any respectful, nicely clothed golfers? or just the two unlikely, extreme types you described? 

4 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

So, please describe to us just how many "honest and respectful" slobs you know! Slobs are usually slobs because they don't even respect themselves! 

3 hours ago, Billy Z said:

So there aren't any respectful, nicely clothed golfers? or just the two unlikely, extreme types you described? 

I didn't say that at all. What I am saying is that dress doesn't represent respect, honesty and kindness. 

47 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

So, please describe to us just how many "honest and respectful" slobs you know! Slobs are usually slobs because they don't even respect themselves! 

Plenty. Have you ever had a conversation with the people that you shun from a distance for their dress? I'd wager you haven't, because most of them have more respect for the game than you give them credit for. Just because they are wearing a tshirt or jeans doesnt mean they are a slob, either, though you may see it that way

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

• Administrator

@Bonvivant, enough of the straw men. Plenty of courses allow t-shirts and jeans. Not every course, but many.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

@Bonvivant, enough of the straw men. Plenty of courses allow t-shirts and jeans. Not every course, but many.

I totally agree. What I think is wrong, is for people to say, "don't allow that kind of dress because then X will happen". The only X that will happen is more people on the course in my mind. If they aren't respecting the game (aside from dress) then let them politely know what they are doing wrong and how to correct it. Teach them why repairing marks, replacing divots, and raking sand is important. I don't think it is that hard to do that. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I totally agree. What I think is wrong, is for people to say, "don't allow that kind of dress because then X will happen". The only X that will happen is more people on the course in my mind. If they aren't respecting the game (aside from dress) then let them politely know what they are doing wrong and how to correct it. Teach them why repairing marks, replacing divots, and raking sand is important. I don't think it is that hard to do that. 

There’s nothing wrong with doing both...requiring a certain level of dress, as well as conduct.

The nice thing is, I get to decide whether I want to play at a course that doesn’t require the type of standards that I prefer.  So do you.

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just now, David in FL said:

There’s nothing wrong with doing both...requiring a certain level of dress, as well as conduct.

The nice thing is, I get to decide whether I want to play at a course that doesn’t require the type of standards that I prefer.  So do you.

Absolutely agree. The initial poll was if it good or bad for the game. I believe it is bad for the game because of lack of players. Imagine how many Rorys, Tigers, Palmers, or anyone else you'd like to put in that slot, that we would have if everyone had more access to the game. Some people wont change their dress to conform to old standards, and that means that they will never play on nice courses. I don't think that is good for the game.

Just now, Bonvivant said:

Absolutely agree. The initial poll was if it good or bad for the game. I believe it is bad for the game because of lack of players. Imagine how many Rorys, Tigers, Palmers, or anyone else you'd like to put in that slot, that we would have if everyone had more access to the game. Some people wont change their dress to conform to old standards, and that means that they will never play on nice courses. I don't think that is good for the game.

By the same argument, private clubs are bad for the game because not everyone is willing (or able) to pony up the money necessary to join one.

I’m sorry, but if someone decides not to play at a certain course because they’re unwilling to abide by a simple set of rules, I don’t consider that to be bad for golf.  I simply find it silly on the part of the person making that decision.  Certainly a decision well within his rights, but he’s not being denied access to the game based on his decision.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Just now, David in FL said:

By the same argument, private clubs are bad for the game because not everyone is willing (or able) to pony up the money necessary to join one.

I’m sorry, but if someone decides not to play at a certain course because they’re unwilling to abide by a simple set of rules, I don’t consider that to be bad for golf.  I simply find it silly on the part of the person making that decision.  Certainly a decision well within his rights, but he’s not being denied access to the game based on his decision.

A private club is a private matter. I don't think that they are doing any favors for the game though. And they aren't in the business of doing so. They are in the business of business and there are plenty of rich people that like to have a place to get away from people that they deem inferior. That is why private clubs do well enough to have a limited clientele, but it has nothing to do with it being good for the game.

Edited by Bonvivant

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

A private club is a private matter. I don't think that they are doing any favors for the game though. And they aren't in the business of doing so. They are in the business of business and there are plenty of rich people that like to have a place to get away from people that they deem inferior. That is why private clubs do well enough to have a limited clientele, but it has nothing to do with it being good for the game.

All golf clubs are businesses. Maybe a few munis, but those aren’t the ones disallowing t-shirts either.

Absolutely agree. The initial poll was if it good or bad for the game. I believe it is bad for the game because of lack of players. Imagine how many Rorys, Tigers, Palmers, or anyone else you'd like to put in that slot, that we would have if everyone had more access to the game.

On the list of things limiting people's access to golf, I imagine dress code is pretty low on it. It'd be like saying more kids would play ice hockey if you didn't make them wear jerseys.

Some people wont change their dress to conform to old standards, and that means that they will never play on nice courses. I don't think that is good for the game.

That's their problem. Why should the world cater to them if they refuse to change?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If you don't respect the dress code, you won't respect the course(divots, ball marks, cart paths, etc, etc). People don't have a lot of respect for things nowadays, including others. I think that is why the dress code has been established, so that this respect will be maintained. If a person doesn't like dress codes, stay on the cow pasture courses where you fit in. 

I voted yes, you need to show respect for the game and others who play:

No tanks tops

No tee shirts

No cargo shorts

No jeans

Yes, a collared shirt

Another thing that bothers me is people who smoke on the course and leave their butts on the ground. Now I smoke, (yes I know I shouldn't) but rarely on the course. If I do smoke I field strip the butt and put the filter in my bag to throw away later. I guess there in nothing you can do about cigars but I don't like seeing the remains on the course. That's just me.

• Upvote 1

Yep. And the next person I find spitting sunflower seeds all over the greens, y’all will hear about it, because I’m going to make 11 o’clock news!

In David's bag....

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Yep. And the next person I find spitting sunflower seeds all over the greens, y’all will hear about it, because I’m going to make 11 o’clock news!

What are you going to do?  Rip the collar off his shirt?!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!