IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

1 hour ago, Southern by Choice said:

I love it!  I have a similar pair and they’re one of my faves.  (I am of the female persuasion, though; does that make a difference?) 😉

"I bet if you buy a (insert garment here) like this you get a free bowl of soup......Looks good on you though <eyeroll>"

I'm just teasing, of course, I've bought my wife a few items from Jamie Sadock, usually with very strong geometric designs, and she loves them, and looks good in them.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of the courses I've been playing lately has a pretty simple dress code; 7. Shirts must be worn at all times.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

"I bet if you buy a (insert garment here) like this you get a free bowl of soup......Looks good on you though <eyeroll>"

Judge_Smails_Fedora_1__20605.1513347275.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2020 at 2:06 PM, DaveP043 said:

I'm just teasing, of course, I've bought my wife a few items from Jamie Sadock, usually with very strong geometric designs, and she loves them, and looks good in them.

My husband bought me a Jamie Sadock shirt for Valentine's Day.  I thoroughly enjoyed it until I saw what those suckers cost!  It hurts my frugal soul to pay that much for a golf shirt.  Do you know how many golf balls you could buy for $89??!?

Dress code is pure nonsense. Who cares about what other wears so strange. Short of people playing golf naked or having ridiculous slogans I don´t see any problems. People that dress like tour pros don´t appear to hit the ball any better...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Southern by Choice said:

My husband bought me a Jamie Sadock shirt for Valentine's Day.  I thoroughly enjoyed it until I saw what those suckers cost!  It hurts my frugal soul to pay that much for a golf shirt.  Do you know how many golf balls you could buy for $89??!?

You are herewith forbidden to check the price on something you were given as a gift!  If it was worth it to your husband, that's all that matters.  And obviously YOU are worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, knott said:

Dress code is pure nonsense. Who cares about what other wears so strange. Short of people playing golf naked or having ridiculous slogans I don´t see any problems. People that dress like tour pros don´t appear to hit the ball any better...

Do you wear board shorts and a tank top and flip-flops to a church wedding? To a business lunch? To a funeral?

I don't really care much about dress codes… but I've never cared "against" them either. Just wear something decent.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you wear board shorts and a tank top and flip-flops to a church wedding? To a business lunch? To a funeral?

I don't really care much about dress codes… but I've never cared "against" them either. Just wear something decent.

Golf is a simple sport just like baseball, skateboarding or whatever sport. You are not a better human for playing golf. It´s not a wedding or a funeral or a business lunch where you are trying to sell something or show your respect for the occasion 😛
flip flops I have yet to see on the golf course wouldn´t be very comfortable I imagine. shorts I see every day why is one shorts okay but another not?

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, knott said:

Golf is a simple sport just like baseball, skateboarding or whatever sport.

Those other sports also have dress codes.

It´s not a wedding or a funeral or a business lunch where you are trying to sell something or show your respect for the occasion 😛

You're only talking about degrees. Most things in life have a sort of dress code. Golf is no different.

flip flops I have yet to see on the golf course wouldn´t be very comfortable I imagine. shorts I see every day why is one shorts okay but another not?

I saw it today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, knott said:

There are plenty of reasons for a business to have some dress code requirements. Some of it is tradition, a preference by ownership to project a specific image, some of it is to avoid individuals offending other customers.  Some dress codes in life are implied, some are clear and explicit.  I have no problem with dress codes.  If I don't want to comply, I don't patronize that establishment.

Dave

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the same people who don't want a dress code on the golf course are highly correlated with those who don't want to wear a mask.  It's the ol' "Nobody can tell me what to wear." syndrome.  

2 hours ago, Southern by Choice said:

Every once in awhile you need to forget about frugality and just enjoy the (expensive) moment.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

okay baseball etc is not that popular here but if I play football or whatever sport and hire a place to do it the only requirements would be shoes that don´t leave marks on the floor and people can dress however they like.

In golf we have dress codes like no spike shoes for the same reason in many places and people have all kind of different clothing not the exact same which is cool. Sandals don´t hurt the golf course so that should be just fine though yes it appears to be a noob misstake you only make once if you are actually doing 18 holes and is not just on the putting green or driving range 😛

If I would play on a course that would require specific clothing I would use it but personally really don´t care for it. Seems very 20th century and something that will be eased up on over time hopefully. Golf is the perfect everymans game if the costs could be driven down 🙂

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the same people who don't want a dress code on the golf course are highly correlated with those who don't want to wear a mask.  It's the ol' "Nobody can tell me what to wear." syndrome.  

Every once in awhile you need to forget about frugality and just enjoy the (expensive) moment.

Not in my case. But well over here wearing mask would break the dress code as nobody uses it. Social distancing is quite easy to achieve while golfing afterall as everybody swings murder weapons so it´s not really necessary I feel .

I think our society is losing respect for ethical values these days. When I wear golf appropriate clothing to a private club it makes a statement saying that I respect the Club I am playing at. How much respect would it show is someone were and dirty old jeans while playing a round of golf and then going into the dining room and eating with that clothing on? Not very much from what I see. Rules, laws, ordinances promote a healthier society. I'm all for dress codes because it shows respect to other people and our society needs more respect.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Most respectable golf courses have dressing rooms where you can change clothes, take a shower etc. Just like if you are playing football you take a shower afterwards before you go to a dinner.
Eating dinner is not a sport activity where you just have to live with people exorting themself and sweating while playing 🙂

40 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I think our society is losing respect for ethical values these days. When I wear golf appropriate clothing to a private club it makes a statement saying that I respect the Club I am playing at. How much respect would it show is someone were and dirty old jeans while playing a round of golf and then going into the dining room and eating with that clothing on? Not very much from what I see. Rules, laws, ordinances promote a healthier society. I'm all for dress codes because it shows respect to other people and our society needs more respect.

Spot on!  One should know or be told about proper attire no matter where they go. It is a sign of respect.  I interviewed at Microsoft in Bellevue Washington in 1989.  I showed up for my interview wearing a suit.  At that time Microsoft was super casual. My interviewer was in jeans, a casual shirt and loafers.  I clearly missed the mark. After the interview I noticed no one was wearing shirts and ties and that the women were wearing casual clothes as well.  The shift at Boeing where I worked for 25+ years really changed over time.  When I started it was slacks, shirts and ties and jackets.  Several years in Casual Friday started, Hawaiian shirts became the thing to wear.  Now if our Airline customers came to our facility it was a big deal on what you wore in their presence especially if you were providing status on their airplane orders and deliveries.  Engineers and Tech Designers dressed very well when I first started. Then over the last few years before I retired it really changed.  Our “Office Sitters” wore clothing that boggled the mind. The younger generation was wearing baggy pants that sagged so low on your backside you thought they would fall off, oversized shirts and hats cocked sideways!  On several occasions I had a Customer with me when one of these folks walked by as I just described.  The look on their face was of shock.  I’d often be asked what that person did here and would reply he’s an Engineer.  Yes it’s different in the workplace today, but not all companies share the same dress code philosophy.  Some Customers complained that they didn’t feel comfortable knowing that the people who were designing their planes did not exhibit a more professional appearance.  Management soon had to address this with employees.  It was a fun time to say the least.  It really drove some changes whereas Customer Engineering Groups were born and they became the face of our Company when dealing with Customers. 

I guess the barista with tattoos and rings in their noses that brings you your coffee is acceptable to some but let’s think bigger picture for knowing who your dealing with and where.

Pinehurst Resort has a dress code. We’re having several outside Tournaments at all age levels right now.  Most everyone had proper golf attire, but a few did not. I saw a couple of guys with cargo shorts and tee shirts.  Not sure if they got out and played, but they may not know about Dress Codes but they should have noticed they looked out of place, At least I hope so.

2 hours ago, knott said:

Golf is a simple sport just like baseball, skateboarding or whatever sport.

No, golf is not just like those other sports. In golf, you're paying to patronize a golf club. As their guest/customer, you are representative of the image the establishment wants to uphold. It's not like you're going to your local park with a couple of buddies to play golf as you would a pickup game of baseball/basketball/football. It's more similar to restaurants having a dress code.

2 hours ago, knott said:

if I play football or whatever sport and hire a place to do it the only requirements would be shoes that don´t leave marks on the floor and people can dress however they like.

Limiting your selection of footwear is a dress code. They're just not limiting your other clothing choices as much, though I'll be it's probably more than you think. They probably wouldn't let you run around in nothing but a g-string thong.

A lax dress code is not the same as no dress code.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

yes absolutely most sports have some sporting regulations. However golf is just like other sports there is nothing special about golf. I would never mind go to a golf course with my friends. Everybody do it here. It´s not like it´s a business meeting where everybody play in ties.

Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!