IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Haven't been able to make my mind with this one, I feel there's good and bad in there.

First, I would never judge a person by what they wear, however someone playing with a tank top might make me have some prejudice. Never seen anyone playing with one tho.

In Finland people still have strong views of golf as a hobby for only wealthy people and in a way this is a part where dress code doesn't help. I started this game coming from sports where t-shirt and sweatpants were the normal outfit when practising, didn't really have any better clothing at that point. I also felt those are suitable for golf as I viewed this as an athletic sport from the beginning. However I feel some older people at the club judged me by what I'm wearing, but by the time we had played first round I feel they had changed the picture about me. I also partly felt like Roy McAvoy:

Since then I tried some golf pants, but to this day I haven't found suitable ones that I could fit my ass in without buying several sizes too big. Have found some stretchy pants that imo look good, also many collared shirts are stretchy these days and I like the look of them. Also feel t-shirt is fine for the round as long as it's clean and good looking.

What comes to sweatpants I basically use them for range only occasionally, but if I had to choose between playing a practise round at home course with them or not, I surely would play as long as they are clean and intact. When going to a foreign course or playing a competition, I would wear something nicer at all costs.

On the other hand, I really like when people are dressed nice for the round, it makes them look like better golfers right away. Surely trying to find more suitable clothes myself once my wallet allows it. 🙂

Summarize:

- Don't judge people by what they wear, but how they act
- Wear clothes that are intact, clean and suitable for sport that requires huge amount of athletic ability

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 hours ago, mclaren4life said:

I think that is a bit of a stretch. There are so many options today for golf attire that isn’t ugly. No matter what your taste if you can’t find a polo shirt you like then you just really aren’t trying. 

not really. I have a closet full of polos that I wear when required. There is not a single one I look for when I want to look good. They do not fit my fashion sensibilities at all. It is just not a look I care for. I find the whole polo shirt tight tucked into shorts with belts (insert facepalm logo here)  or slacks to be as outdated as plus fours, tweed jackets and ties,  white only  and men only clubs, using a specific fork for salad and having a dipping bowl, etc. It was a thing for a while. Now I think that time has past for myself and most people in my circle but definitely remain for others.

At the same time, there are people who are very into the appearances thing...a few places I have went to for tournaments have "no cleats in the locker room, no hats in the clubhouse, no carts in the parking lot" type things and the people at those facilities love it. I am fine with that, I show up for the tournament, follow the rules, and then go back to the places I like better where I am wearing things I find far more comfortable, far better looking and it works for everyone. They can have the appearance requirements they prefer and are doing just fine without my monthly dues. I play at courses where people seriously show up in construction clothes, there is one guy from the islands who plays barefoot I encounter all the time. That is not everyones cup of tee but I am ecstatic there are courses where Latta and his buddies can show up and play. I think it is great for the game that there is room for both. People who think those things look good, knock yourself out. As long as it only applies to the exclusive clubs, I have no issue with it. If it bleeds into public courses...pass.  

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Now I'd like to see photos, of the "ugly clothes" you picked out, and the clothes you normally play in.

I am not overly technically proficient. That photo was about the fourth one I tired and was long enough ago I forgot it was one I tried. But athletic pants of gym shorts, usually black with red trim, and a pretty loose tee shirt are my vastly preferred ear. I don't suspect most people, particularly on a forum like this one, would like the same things I like. I freely admit in the "traditional" golfing world, I am the outcast. And except for tournaments or special occasions, I am fine with that and stick to public munis for the most part.

Who in the hell wears a jacket and tie to golf? Where is gods name are you playing. I don’t tuck my shirt in but it’s also not 2 sizes too big for me. 99% of the places I play never say anything about it. I’m sure there are places like that still but I don’t think many of us here would be considered elite enough to join a club like that or would really want to. So do you wear sweatpants/shorts and tees for work?

39 minutes ago, mclaren4life said:

Who in the hell wears a jacket and tie to golf? Where is gods name are you playing. I don’t tuck my shirt in but it’s also not 2 sizes too big for me. 99% of the places I play never say anything about it. I’m sure there are places like that still but I don’t think many of us here would be considered elite enough to join a club like that or would really want to. So do you wear sweatpants/shorts and tees for work?

Its been a good long time since jackets or even ties were the norm on a golf course, but they certainly did it for a while

dbd07f7f76bad2f57dce77d925fb01f6.jpg.3553bf8593a55ff5191b9024ff7f2063.jpg

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Personally I think dress codes are entirely unnecessary. Golf as a sport is struggling heavily, and adding restrictions to access the game will only make things worse.

When I go out to play golf, I'm usually wearing jeans and either a t-shirt or a polo shirt, depending on if I came straight from work or not. I know I would golf a lot less if I had to go change my pants before I could play, and it's ridiculous to claim that a properly-fitted pair of jeans is lowbrow or unsuited to golf when dark wash jeans are as standard a piece of business attire as slacks. Contrary to popular opinion they don't restrict your movement, though they are generally better-suited to more temperate climates than hot ones. 

The thing is though, clothes are a meaningless barrier to entry that keeps people out because they perceive the sport as stuffy and restrictive. Let people play wearing whatever they want, because as long as they're clothed it doesn't affect you in any way at all. If you take offense to someone who wears comfortable clothes that fit them (I'm not referring to people who wear clothes that are falling off or significantly too small), then the problem lies with you rather than them. I've played golf everywhere between shirtless with swim trunks and bundled in three layers while its snowing - it really doesn't make a difference unless you're so wrapped up in yourself that you can't stand to be within a quarter mile of someone wearing normal clothing. 

Judge people based on their on-course etiquette, not based on their clothing. If they play at a reasonable pace and have the common courtesy expected of golfers (quiet while others are hitting, yelling fore, taking care of the course) then the clothing doesn't matter. Anyone who claims otherwise is creating a problem out of nothing, because the actions of the golfer have done nothing to affect you in any way.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Personally I think dress codes are entirely unnecessary. Golf as a sport is struggling heavily, and adding restrictions to access the game will only make things worse.

When I go out to play golf, I'm usually wearing jeans and either a t-shirt or a polo shirt, depending on if I came straight from work or not. I know I would golf a lot less if I had to go change my pants before I could play, and it's ridiculous to claim that a properly-fitted pair of jeans is lowbrow or unsuited to golf when dark wash jeans are as standard a piece of business attire as slacks. Contrary to popular opinion they don't restrict your movement, though they are generally better-suited to more temperate climates than hot ones. 

The thing is though, clothes are a meaningless barrier to entry that keeps people out because they perceive the sport as stuffy and restrictive. Let people play wearing whatever they want, because as long as they're clothed it doesn't affect you in any way at all. If you take offense to someone who wears comfortable clothes that fit them (I'm not referring to people who wear clothes that are falling off or significantly too small), then the problem lies with you rather than them. I've played golf everywhere between shirtless with swim trunks and bundled in three layers while its snowing - it really doesn't make a difference unless you're so wrapped up in yourself that you can't stand to be within a quarter mile of someone wearing normal clothing. 

Judge people based on their on-course etiquette, not based on their clothing. If they play at a reasonable pace and have the common courtesy expected of golfers (quiet while others are hitting, yelling fore, taking care of the course) then the clothing doesn't matter. Anyone who claims otherwise is creating a problem out of nothing, because the actions of the golfer have done nothing to affect you in any way.

Don’t disagree with you. But then again the Dress Code is controlled by the management of the golf course. 

35 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

If you take offense to someone who wears comfortable clothes that fit them (I'm not referring to people who wear clothes that are falling off or significantly too small), then the problem lies with you rather than them.

This works both ways though. Why is it a problem if one perceives jeans and tank tops as ‘low brow’ but perceiving dress shorts and a collared shirt as ‘stuffy and restrictive’ is a legitimate perception? 

So just because I wear dress shorts with a belt and a collared shirt I’m stuffy? People who think like that are just as judgmental as   one who thinks tank tops are low brow.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 7/19/2020 at 7:33 AM, boogielicious said:

Now you’ve done it. Nike, Adidas, Puma, Titleist, Callaway, Srixon, Snell, Cobra and Ping will all be are making logo masks.

FTFY

9098428_Capture2.JPG.551f060679d12224f7ad8291abd63a39.JPG1113808092_Capture1.JPG.aacb8d07e4ae530d3cf908f35af450e0.JPG1097356990_Capture3.JPG.d454a8dff44bbe7303d9e2629c907f8d.JPG

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 hours ago, darthweasel said:

I am not overly technically proficient. That photo was about the fourth one I tired and was long enough ago I forgot it was one I tried. But athletic pants of gym shorts, usually black with red trim, and a pretty loose tee shirt are my vastly preferred ear. I don't suspect most people, particularly on a forum like this one, would like the same things I like. I freely admit in the "traditional" golfing world, I am the outcast. And except for tournaments or special occasions, I am fine with that and stick to public munis for the most part.

I should apologize, when I read back what I wrote, I think I come across as wanting to poke fun at your preferred choice of clothing.  I didn't mean it that way. 

I've said before, I'm glad that there are places where each of us can wear what we feel comfortable in.  I do prefer to dress in a moderately "upscale" fashion, meaning only that I won't wear denim, or cargo shorts, I wear normal golf slacks or shorts and a polo.  That's what my club requires on the course, although I do sometimes wear jeans on the range, or in the tavern at the club.   Also my personal preference, I prefer to see shirts tucked in, and a hat brim turned to shade a player's eyes rather than his neck.  And yes, I play at a private club, but I'd have no problem going elsewhere and playing with folks in jeans, tee shirts, flip flops, whatever they want, as long as the management of the course is fine with that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

2 hours ago, mclaren4life said:

I was referencing the origins of golf when those were de rigeur. Dave posted a later picture of equally outmoded golf attire. And for many people, many of the dress codes hearken back to those days and some of the other mores of the time we have moved past. Not for all, and there are people who long for the good without the bad. For some people, an atmosphere where some people dress to the nines at all times, it is library quiet, etc is a good thing. More power to them. I have been invite to join 3 of the courses I will name below and my aversion to that atmosphere made it a non starter for me.

As for work, actually...yes, I have worn sweatpants and tee shirts to work for nearly a decade now, at my desk job. and to church. it is my way. Do I expect others to do it? nope, actually could not tell you what 99% of the people I run into wore, are wearing, or will wear. 

I am in Portland OR and off the top of my head...The Reserve, Arrowhead, Tualitan, Portland Golf Club, Columbia Edewater, Riverside, Pumpkin Ridge, Willamette Valley Golf Club at the least are membership clubs with requirements. I have no problem with those places having them. I just seldom golf there. I have dozens of courses where I can roll out in what I like and whack the ball around so to me it is win-win.  Room for both people who like the belted shorts /polo and room for the people who are...less formal. like me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

This is pretty much where I stand too. I don’t play in jeans, because I don’t like my jeans to get sweaty (and I don’t play in something like basketball shorts or sweatpants because the stuff in my pockets would move all around), but it would be nice to be able to wear a plain t-shirt.

The dress code adds an extra barrier, and I don’t think it does much to help golf’s image either. 

(I probably have posts from 2 and 4 years ago saying the same thing, but consider this my biannual update.)

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Its been a good long time since jackets or even ties were the norm on a golf course, but they certainly did it for a while

dbd07f7f76bad2f57dce77d925fb01f6.jpg.3553bf8593a55ff5191b9024ff7f2063.jpg

I would look good in those Plus 4s! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

25 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I would look good in those Plus 4s! 

We need photos of that too!

Dave

18 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You mean like having to smell your own breath?  😁

This is all really just an intervention, a subtle hint from our family and friends for us to buy some scope or listerine. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 hours ago, Pretzel said:

If you take offense to someone who wears comfortable clothes that fit them (I'm not referring to people who wear clothes that are falling off or significantly too small), then the problem lies with you rather than them. ...

I agree with this.  I don't care what others wear.  I only care about what I wear.  I got enough problems on my own to even care about other people's clothing choice.  🤪

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, jamo said:

This is pretty much where I stand too. I don’t play in jeans, because I don’t like my jeans to get sweaty (and I don’t play in something like basketball shorts or sweatpants because the stuff in my pockets would move all around), but it would be nice to be able to wear a plain t-shirt.

The dress code adds an extra barrier, and I don’t think it does much to help golf’s image either. 

(I probably have posts from 2 and 4 years ago saying the same thing, but consider this my biannual update.)

I’m not sure how much of a barrier it actually is. If somebody is interested in playing, it’s easy to find out if there’s a dress code and you can get inexpensive golf clothes anywhere, all my stuff come from Beale’s Outlet lol. Overall, I like a basic dress code but it’s no big deal. I play in a Thursday league and we get all manner of dress with most of us coming straight from work. Keep pace and take  care of the course. 👍

• Like 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

11 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I’m not sure how much of a barrier it actually is. If somebody is interested in playing, it’s easy to find out if there’s a dress code and you can get inexpensive golf clothes anywhere, all my stuff come from Beale’s Outlet lol. Overall, I like a basic dress code but it’s no big deal. I play in a Thursday league and we get all manner of dress with most of us coming straight from work. Keep pace and take  care of the course. 👍

My former boss had a saying, “Never wear anything to work that you can’t play golf in”.

Not much to say other than the combo of saddle style golf shoes and white socks should be outlawed. 

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!