IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

The "knowing the game" aspects of the argument hold a great deal of weight. You wouldn't walk onto an asphalt basketball court in NYC and not know the basics of the game: winners vs. losers outs, when NOT to call a foul, win by two, etc... You'd be laughed off the court by the regulars. So how is golf exclusive when you expect people to act the part and know the basics of the game? It's no more exclusive then expecting someone to know the infield fly rule or one foot vs. two feet in bounds.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

The "knowing the game" aspects of the argument hold a great deal of weight. You wouldn't walk onto an asphalt basketball court in NYC and not know the basics of the game: winners vs. losers outs, when NOT to call a foul, win by two, etc... You'd be laughed off the court by the regulars. So how is golf exclusive when you expect people to act the part and know the basics of the game? It's no more exclusive then expecting someone to know the infield fly rule or one foot vs. two feet in bounds.

Silly rabbit - trix are for kids!

I for one am constantly learning little but known rules to all the sports I play. For example, I wasn't aware (until recently) that you can only have one flat grip in your bag (on your putter I would assume). I also wasn't aware that you are awarded 3 bases when a fielder hits a batted ball with his glove (or any other equipment) if its thrown. Why do you think they have umps in baseball, officials in basketball, or ruling officials in golf. Even they don't get the rules down perfectly, so they consult one another (did anyone see that minor league game where an ambidextrous pitcher tried to pitch to a switch hitter and they just kept switching sides?) or they inform the player (in the case of michelle wie, they did not remind her of one important aspect). To most of the population, golf is known as a game where you get the ball in the hole in the fewest amount of strokes. I highly doubt that they would automatically know what lateral hazards are or what impeccable golf etiquette is. And by 'exclusive' I meant that it seems a lot of people are going out of their way to not help people. Just sit back, laugh, and keep information to yourself right? ugh...

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

It's so simple, really, You don't like the dress code at Golf Course A, then go to Golf Course B or join Country Club X.

I play at a course I can afford. I also happen to work there. I cannot afford to play as much as I do at the courses in my area that have proper dress codes. I wish my course had a dress code (hence I started this thread). A lot people, myself included, have no choice on where we play.

But in July, August and September in Kansas and Missouri, if I can wear a sleeveless shirt, I'm going to.

One, you will never convince me a sleeveless shirt is in any way cooler than my performance fabric golf shirts. They're not, and they are also not that much more inexpensive. People like yourself dress the way you do because you want to. You wear the clothes you do because of personal preference under the guise of "it's hot!". I am calling Bull$*#t. It's lack of class and respect for the game, period. You don't have enough respect for the game of golf to put on something respectable.

I gotta say I am so tired of the ridiculous excuses I have read on here about why you fools don't dress properly. They are exactly that excuses. You're not too hot or poor or whatever, you just don't have enough love and respect for the game.
You can't generalize how people are going to act just because of the way they are dressed.

I work at a golf course and YES I can generalize. If we have a problem on the course that we have to send somebody out to fix it, 99% of the time they aren't dressed properly. Just the other day we had some jerks run one of our carts into a tree, they had tank tops and basketball shorts on.

It comes down to this, your serious golfers that understand golf and what its all about will have the sense to dress appropriately, no excuses.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dude, I play the same muni's you likely play, and I would LOVE to pass on some golf wisdom to someone else after it was passed onto me. The problem is the golfer that's described in the beginning of this thread doesn't likely want anyone to tell him anything about the game. We all have seen golf on TV, we know what's worn, but do you think the guy that is wearing the basketball shorts and tank top gives a crap about walking in your line? Replacing a divot? Fixing a pitch mark? It's all about how we present ourselves. I am not a good golfer but I look like I belong, I try to observe what the better players do, I remember the good, try to forget the bad, and let's be serious, this is the age of the internet, you can learn the basics of damned near anything with a Google search.

On top of that, the guy dressed like that is usually indignant of golf to begin with. He looks like crap, plays like crap, and then proceeds to tell his buddies how this isn't his game anyway, he's more into baseball and football.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

It's fun to be up front with people - you should try it!

Check my comment history around this forum. I'm extremely up front.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

Silly rabbit - trix are for kids!

Why is it my responsibility to teach someone the rules? I learned from asking and reading on my own time. If I wanted to teach, I'd be an instructor.

---"Be the ball"---

Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

...and let's be serious, this is the age of the internet, you can learn the basics of damned near anything with a Google search...

To that I will completely agree with you...unfortunately, the Internet is also a double edged sword. There's a lot of wrong information out there as well as just waaay too much information out there. I did a google search for 'golf rules' and the first result was the usga website. Click that, and see how many links there are: 2008 Rules, 2008 list of new decisions, 2008 list of revised decisions, 2008 minor revised, etc. I guess I'm generalizing on this one too, but I believe MOST that are curious about the sport will see this and say to themselves 'meh - get the ball in the hole and I'll learn the rest as I play.' I know it's infuriating to think that people can be that lazy, but they are - plain and simple...Similarly, a simple google search will tell you the local rules (dress code included) at the golf course in question (or at least a number for you to call). See a pattern here?

In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I play at a course I can afford. A lot people, myself included, have no choice on where we play.

There's only one, cheap course in Albuquerque?
One, you will never convince me a sleeveless shirt is in any way cooler than my performance fabric golf shirts. You wear the clothes you do because of personal preference under the guise of "it's hot!".

Well I don't own any of those "performance" golf shirts. And, no, I wear them because I like them, plus it gives my arms a better tan.
You're not too hot or poor or whatever,

Excuse me? You're telling me because I don't conform to your Head-above-the-clouds standards that I don't love and respect the game? Someone mentioned John Daly earlier (and Sergio - - - and let's not forget Tiger throwing his clubs in disgust . . . or is that OK, because it's Tiger, not some shmoe in jeans and a t-shirt).
It comes down to this, your serious golfers that understand golf and what its all about will have the sense to dress appropriately, no excuses.

See the note above about Tiger - - -or what about Woody Austin banging his putter over his head several years ago . Clothes don't make the man. Just because they are dressed "properly" does not mean squat.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

[SIZE="2"]Well I don't own any of those "performance" golf shirts. And, no, I wear them because I like them, plus it gives my arms a better tan.

Bottom line. Sleeveless, tank tops, cut off shirts, or no shirt is unacceptable.

---"Be the ball"---

Bottom line. Sleeveless, tank tops, cut off shirts, or no shirt is unacceptable.

Not if it's not against the "dress code."

My Equipment:

let's be honest here really, have any of us ever seen a guy go shirtless on the course? I highly doubt this and really think it's people making it up to back their lies....in an attempt to prove a point....really even Billy Joe John in West Virginia wouldn't allow the nearest farmer to go on his course shirtless..so no golf course in the world would allow this to take place

let's be real here...shirtless? give me a freakin break

I googled "golf etiquette". First result.

http://www.usga.org/playing/etiquette/etiquette.html

That was tough.

Here is a direct quote from the page. First paragraph of "Spirit of the Game":

"Unlike many sports, golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules."
  • Upvote 1

---"Be the ball"---

Not if it's not against the "dress code."

No shirt, no shoes, no service.

---"Be the ball"---

let's be honest here really, have any of us ever seen a guy go shirtless on the course? I highly doubt this and really think it's people making it up to back their lies....in an attempt to prove a point....really even Billy Joe John in West Virginia wouldn't allow the nearest farmer to go on his course shirtless..so no golf course in the world would allow this to take place

I've seen it at every course that I've played regularly throughout my life. Not permitted, but do you think those idiots care?

---"Be the ball"---

I googled "golf etiquette"...

And we're assuming thats the first search query to pop into the golf-curious person's mind? 'Golf rules' is a bit more likely (Sorry - another assumption - but a likely scenario nonetheless). My point is this - just because someone might be naive about the fact that there's etiquette when it comes to golf, doesn't mean we shouldn't allow them to play and educate them along the way.

let's be real here...shirtless? give me a freakin break

Actually, I have seen it golfing in Iowa in a farming community. Wasn't my favorite thing in the world to see, but it happens. Also John Daly did it. But I guess it's OK since he is a Pro. Do a google search for "John Daly Shirtless"
My Equipment:

No shirt, no shoes, no service.

That may be your rule, but obviously not the golf courses rule. Besides when did I say it was OK? I saw it happen (no shirt) but the course management let it go so who am I to say I am better than the people who own the course? And no shoes? WTF is that about?

My Equipment:

... doesn't mean we shouldn't allow them to play and educate them along the way

We're going to just have to disagree on this one. I'm not walking over to the green next to the tee box I'm standing on and explaining to a foursome how to repair their ball mark. Not only is that not my responsibility, but I'd probably just catch sh*t or get laughed at for doing it.

The problem is the golfer that's described in the beginning of this thread doesn't likely want anyone to tell him anything about the game.

That's a fact.

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

Note: This thread is 1371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!