IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

let's be honest here really, have any of us ever seen a guy go shirtless on the course? I highly doubt this and really think it's people making it up to back their lies....in an attempt to prove a point....really even Billy Joe John in West Virginia wouldn't allow the nearest farmer to go on his course shirtless..so no golf course in the world would allow this to take place

yes, yes I have. I have personally called the club house because once the drunk idiots (I call it like i see it) get out of sit of the club house they strip down like they are at the pool. There is also a 9-hole public course here that prides itself on being an "everymans course" and the people allow and encourage the players to dress however they want, which includes no shirt.

how do you guys feel about people playing barefoot? I do sometimes just because I find it more comfortable and enjoyable.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

We're going to just have to disagree on this one. I'm not walking over to the green next to the tee box I'm standing on and explaining to a foursome how to repair their ball mark. Not only is that not my responsibility, but I'd probably just catch sh*t or get laughed at for doing it.

I'm not asking you to go out of your way to inform another group. Just casually

I'm not sure what you mean by 'That's a fact'...are you saying that its factual that its likely? Kind of an oxymoron - please elaborate

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

One, you will never convince me a sleeveless shirt is in any way cooler than my performance fabric golf shirts. They're not, and they are also not that much more inexpensive. People like yourself dress the way you do because you want to. You wear the clothes you do because of personal preference under the guise of "it's hot!". I am calling Bull$*#t. It's lack of class and respect for the game, period. You don't have enough respect for the game of golf to put on something respectable.

Herein lies the crux of the problem. A sleeveless shirt is stereotyped as shabby. Is this shirt from REI shabby?

http://www.rei.com/product/763744 It is a micro-fiber shirt designed to be worn for outdoor activites. Every bit as nice and high quality as the typical golf shirt. Would someone wearing that shirt on the course showing a lack of respect for the game? Hardly. In fact it would look better than a lot of the golf shirts I've seen. Clothing styles change. 100 years ago men were expected to wear ties on golf courses. Now it is a collared shirt (yet I seem to remember Tiger wearing a collarless Nike shirt occasionally, should we ban Tiger from playing?)

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I'm not asking you to go out of your way to inform another group. Just casually

Maybe you can be more specific, since you're pushing informed golfers to teach the uninformed. Please explain when, in the course of a golfing round, we should be "just casually" teaching them.

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

Is this shirt from REI shabby? http://www.rei.com/product/763744

Yep, too shabby for golf. Hey, you asked.

Herein lies the crux of the problem. A sleeveless shirt is stereotyped as shabby. Is this shirt from REI shabby?

My personal opinion is that yes, any sleeveless shirt, even that one, is to be worn playing basketball or something else. I wear dress pants and a collared shirt everyday to work, so dressing decent for golf isn't a prob for me.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

The "knowing the game" aspects of the argument hold a great deal of weight. You wouldn't walk onto an asphalt basketball court in NYC and not know the basics of the game: winners vs. losers outs, when NOT to call a foul, win by two, etc... You'd be laughed off the court by the regulars. So how is golf exclusive when you expect people to act the part and know the basics of the game? It's no more exclusive then expecting someone to know the infield fly rule or one foot vs. two feet in bounds.

If golf were a sport like baseball or basketball that was taught in the public schools you would have a point, but it isn't.

I doubt that there is a single male student (and probably most females) that wasn't exposed to basketball and its rules in gym/phys-ed bythe time they graduated from high school. What percentage of students are exposed to golf and its rules in gym/phys-ed prior to graduating high school? 10%? 5%? 1%? You're comparing apples and oranges. You can't expect people to know the rules of golf when they've never been taught them.

53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Maybe you can be more specific, since you're pushing informed golfers to teach the uninformed. Please explain when, in the course of a golfing round, we should be "just casually" teaching them.

OK - here's an example:

I wait patiently to the side as my playing partner sizes up his shot. He swings and takes a large divot. 'Hey guy! Care to replace that big divot?' 'Why should I?' 'Because it'll heal and the golf gods will shine upon thee!' Now - one of two things can happen: A) He nods and calmly replaces it. or B) He doesn't - so I grab it and hope I'm setting an example. Lead by example in this case. I don't see the big deal. If he's BLATANTLY and REPEATEDLY trying to tear the course up or whatever, then and only then will my judgment of this person's character come in to play (not the way he/she dresses - if its not against the rules, I'm not gonna chime in on that one). I guess this isn't 'gentlemanly'? I guess I like to help people...go figure - nice guys always finish last eh?

In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

OK - here's an example: I wait patiently to the side as my playing partner sizes up his shot. He swings and takes a large divot. 'Hey guy! Care to replace that big divot?' 'Why should I?' 'Because it'll heal and the golf gods will shine upon thee!' Now - one of two things can happen: A) He nods and calmly replaces it. or B) He doesn't - so I grab it and hope I'm setting an example. Lead by example in this case.

Obviously, if you're playing WITH someone you would say something. Maybe you frequently play with people you don't know and are new to the game. In the last 15 years, I might have played with someone I don't know 5 times ... and they all knew the game.

The people I see on the course that are dressed like slobs and don't know etiquette are never playing WITH me. Maybe my situation is unique.

It's clear what we have here is people arguing the exception rather than the rule.

"We can't relax the dress code becaus that would lead to people __________" Replace the blank with the most extreme thing you can thing of. "going shirtless", "playing in their underwear", "destroying the course".

Relaxing a dress code doesn't mean eliminating it. Exceptions are just that, exceptions, and they can be handled.

Arguing the exception is an old trick to prevent change by implying the sky will fall if even a moderate change is made.

Obviously, if you're playing WITH someone you would say something. Maybe you frequently play with people you don't know and are new to the game. In the last 15 years, I might have played with someone I don't know 5 times ... and they all knew the game.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. More often than not for me, my twosome gets paired with strangers I've never played with.

I've decided, after getting back into golf this year and posting about 25 rounds, most of which were at my local muni, that I have gotten to the point where, when I go out alone, I will decline to go out with certain golfers. And yes, I'll make those judgements based on what I see at the starter's booth. Three guys who're loud and wearing workout shorts and tee's and what not? I'll pass. The older couple with more ball retrievers than clubs? No thanks. ANYONE who doesn't stop talking or moving while the group on the tee is hitting? Not with me. And guess what, most of my judgements, based on a small amount of information will be spot on. That comes from playing many rounds this year with many different partners and I can say I want to play with people who enjoy the game and want to get better.

Conversely, I will not mind at all playing with high school and college age kids who may be just picking the game up and will ask questions. It's not about not wanting to help someone, it's about helping those who want to be helped, and not preaching to those who don't. And since it's a public course, I'll pass on playing with those who don't.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Relaxing a dress code doesn't mean eliminating it.

Relaxing a dress code allows for people to take even further liberties.

Let this shirt on the course ... ...and soon you have this on the course "That guys wearing a sleeveless shirt. What's the difference?"

...It's not about not wanting to help someone, it's about helping those who want to be helped, and not preaching to those who don't...

Amen to that - but I won't judge someone based on their dress if the rules don't forbid what they're wearing

I have to chime in on this one. I was at a local course last night to catch a twilight. Its a decent course, well kept with 27 holes but nothing fancy. I'm in the club house speaking with the counter help, and I hear a customer say to his friend, "I was told that I needed to buy a shirt last time I was here because I was wearing a sleeveless shirt. What a joke, its golf not a wedding."

The pro and I both looked at this guy in disgust, and immediately took to laughing under our breath. The guy could be a scratch, and still his attire just showed a total lack or respect for the game.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

I hear a customer say to his friend, "

That's fine because obviously the course had a dress code policy that said shirts must have sleeves. What he said after, I'll agree, it was uncalled for. I had to buy a shirt one time about 20 years ago (and didn't complain about it) but after that I always make sure I know what the policy is. Again, if the course allows it, go somewhere else if you don't like it. But if the course has a strict policy, that's fine, I don't have a problem dressing up to the courses standards.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I have to chime in on this one. I was at a local course last night to catch a twilight. Its a decent course, well kept with 27 holes but nothing fancy. I'm in the club house speaking with the counter help, and I hear a customer say to his friend, "I was told that I needed to buy a shirt last time I was here because I was wearing a sleeveless shirt. What a joke, its golf not a wedding."

I'd laugh too if he said that all the while KNOWING the local rules. Clearly a lack of respect there...I'm glad you didn't say something along the lines of 'I never saw the guy before, he was dressed like a slob, therefore I think he lacks respect for the game.'

Really, how tough is it to put on a collared shirt and Bermuda shorts and play by the rules?

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!