IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

I think it was completely accurate. Could be slacks, bermudas, golf skirts etc. I guess it would have made more sense if I had just said "proper attire" altogether.

No, no.  Don't change it.  I'm wearing "proper lowers" tomorrow... and will tell my golf buddies that's what I'm wearing...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Definitely off topic, but almost all of the rude disrespectful, self-absorbed people that I have ever seen on a golf course were wearing collared shirts and proper lowers. Dress doesn't keep that kind of person out.

My disagreement was with the silly contention that if I “genuinely love and respect the game”, I should want every knucklehead in the world out there.  That’s simply not the case.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, David in FL said:

My disagreement was with the silly contention that if I “genuinely love and respect the game”, I should want every knucklehead in the world out there.  That’s simply not the case.

So there are people you don't want on the course? Which people and how does a dress code prevent those exact people, and only those people?

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

25 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

What is so scary about wearing an inexpensive pair of chinos and a collared shirt?!  Is it gonna kill you?  If you play city league softball you have to buy a uniform.  Or city league flag football.  I have friends in their early 20's who dress the role to play golf... and enjoy it... otherwise they are very casual.  They aren't scared of anything.  Ballzeiz, are you scared to wear a tie on occasion???

because I don't want to wear chinos when it is 90+ outside? neither does anyone else, there is no other time you would expect someone to wear long pants outdoors in that weather except for a funeral or wedding. why are you so salty about me not wanting to wear a polo? not like my attire effects yours or anyone else's game. As another poster pointed out, if you really want to respect the tradition of the game, wear a full suit complete with bow tie, hat, and a dress shoes.

27 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Definitely off topic, but almost all of the rude disrespectful, self-absorbed people that I have ever seen on a golf course were wearing collared shirts and proper lowers. Dress doesn't keep that kind of person out.

Considering that probably 95% of golfers dress that way, it’s not saying much that the rude golfers you’ve run into were dressed in golf attire.

• Like 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

So there are people you don't want on the course? Which people and how does a dress code prevent those exact people, and only those people?

I said that it was off topic because it wasn’t dress code related.

But yep, rude, obnoxious, self absorbed people who won’t follow the course rules, or worse, damage the course through their own lack of concern, would be better served playing tennis.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

4 minutes ago, ballziez said:

because I don't want to wear chinos when it is 90+ outside? neither does anyone else, there is no other time you would expect someone to wear long pants outdoors in that weather except for a funeral or wedding. why are you so salty about me not wanting to wear a polo? not like my attire effects yours or anyone else's game. As another poster pointed out, if you really want to respect the tradition of the game, wear a full suit complete with bow tie, hat, and a dress shoes.

Hey, if it's 90+ degrees out wear shorts!  I do.

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

But yep, rude, obnoxious, self absorbed people who won’t follow the course rules, or worse, damage the course through their own lack of concern, would be better served playing tennis.  

Hey David, don't be sending those neanderthals over to the tennis courts I play on!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, jetsknicks1 said:

Considering that probably 95% of golfers dress that way, it’s not saying much that the rude golfers you’ve run into were dressed in golf attire.

At my local muni, the stat is not nearly that high. Maybe 75% or so here. 

Just now, David in FL said:

Ah, gotcha. I can see that. Maybe we do personality tests in the clubhouse instead of dress codes. I like that better anyway lol.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

15 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

If you really want to show your respect for the great sport of golf, you would wear this.

Image result for golf, plus-fours

Puma's Autumn collection is a little different this year

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm thinking you have a collared shirt up your rear.  That's what's making you so pissy.  You should pull it out and put it on.

This is unnecessary.   

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
10 hours ago, ballziez said:

this is exactly what I was referring to. Its this attitude that scares a lot of people, especially the younger crowd, away from the game. It is hard enough to learn to play the golf as it is.

Huh?

There are dress codes all over the place. Restaurants have them. Schools have them. Bowling alleys have them. Stores have them.

And it's not like EVERY muni everywhere says "collared shirt, pressed pants" or something. I can go one mile from where I live and find guys, kids, etc. playing in t-shirts and cutoff jean shorts, which is fine at that course (and quite a few others in the area).

10 hours ago, ballziez said:

if you don't like people not wearing collared shirts, maybe you should quit. or go hang out at a private club with all the other people who have a putter up their rear. 

Cool it, man.

10 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

There are some nasty comments in there that show exactly why people turn away from golf when they are turned away from a course for dress.

I didn't see anything I'd describe as "nasty." I think you're seeing what you want to see.

10 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

If your goal is to keep certain people out, I strongly suggest you look into why you don't want those people there. You might find something ugly when you dig. If you genuinely love and respect the game, you would want everyone to enjoy it.

Oh brother. Complete BS right there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is not a golf problem, it's the person who gets upset about a collared shirt problem. Honestly, wearing a collared shirt is one of the most insignificant things to get upset about. Why waste the energy in allowing yourself to get upset at such a trivial thing.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

There are dress codes all over the place. Restaurants have them. Schools have them. Bowling alleys have them. Stores have them.

^this

Dress codes are apart of human culture. It's not something to get upset about.

Golf isn't struggling due to the dress code.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 hours ago, ballziez said:

this is exactly what I was referring to. Its this attitude that scares a lot of people, especially the younger crowd, away from the game. It is hard enough to learn to play the golf as it is.

if you don't like people not wearing collared shirts, maybe you should quit. or go hang out at a private club with all the other people who have a putter up their rear. 

That's exactly what I did. I'm a member of a private country club. One that strictly enforces dress code rules for the course and dining/bar area. When we go to public courses for USKIDS there's one course in Stockton that you would fit right in. You could wear your cargo shorts and hot dog stained t-shirt...😆 The rest of the public courses on the local tours all require what I would call, a "golf uniform". I don't care what you wear to play golf. Just don't show up somewhere to play that has dress code, and then complain. Stick with places like Stockton that fit your level of class.

My apologies.  I was on a roll yesterday on this thread and used the term "neanderthals" to generally describe the non-collared golf crowd.  I apologize for this poor use of words.  As humans on this planet we all have bigger fish to fry... dress codes don't even rank up there in terms of importance.  But the topic does make for interesting discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My apologies.  I was on a roll yesterday on this thread and used the term "neanderthals" to generally describe the non-collared golf crowd.  I apologize for this poor use of words.  As humans on this planet we all have bigger fish to fry... dress codes don't even rank up there in terms of importance.  But the topic does make for interesting discussion.

same, things got taken a little over the top and I apologize for any perceived hostility. I really have no dog in this fight, and at the end of the day, golf courses are generally privately owned entities and as such they can require people to wear whatever they want. if a course has an enforced dress code, it is only respectable to honor that. at the same time though, there are plenty of courses that do not have dress codes. each serves its purpose and is attractive to different types of golfers. It is a course by course decision, my only point is there should not be required attire to play golf as a whole.

Wife beaters should still be banned everywhere though. I am willing to die on that hill. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like to think that there are courses for everyone.  I always wear a collared shirt, and I usually (unless, perhaps, I wasn't planning on golf) stay away from cargo shorts, though I wear shorts most of the time.  We have a Thursday afternoon league in the summer, it's usually somewhere between 95 and 105. I wear lightweight trousers to work those days, and it's really not that bad.  By flaw is that I don't like to tuck my shirt in.  I know it would look better if I did, but shape does not let it work very well.  Not huge, but a tummy!  I wear XL, L would work, but usually they are not long enough.  So I end up with a big of a baggy, hanging over the tummy, shirt.  All of that said, if I was to play somewhere that requested tucked shirts, mine would be tucked, and it would not offend me.  Though keeping it tucked might keep me busy!

I kind of like the idea that we try to keep some of the principals of the old traditions alive, if modified as times have changed.  In golf we try to show respect to the course, and to our fellow players, and dressing "appropriately" helps a bit.  But that doesn't stop me from happily playing with folks in jeans and a tee shirt.

First...damn we have gotten a lot of mileage out of this thread. I started the dang thing over 10 years ago.

Next, I would like to debate some of the arguments I have heard (and continue to hear) against dress codes.

1.  Proper golf attire is too expensive. Hogwash! I just picked up a pair of nice golf shorts and an Adidas shirt at Marshals for $30, and I have seen them even cheaper than that. 
  2. Proper golf attire is too hot. Again thats ridiculous, golf clothes are actually designed to be cool and are engineered specifically for the sport. My Haggar Cool 18 pants ($19.99 at Kohls BTW) are way cooler to play in than cargo shorts.
  3. Makes to game "stuffy" and "elitist" Really?! So every activity where people traditionally dress up is stuffy? Showing respect is "elitist"? Golf attire is hardly "dressed up" anyway, but what you see as stuffy I see as classy and respectful. What do you wear to a funeral or wedding?
  4. I see jerks on the course dressed in golf attire. I have worked in the golf industry for 20+ years. I have never, I repeat NEVER, had to kick someone off the course who was dressed appropriately. I have had to kick several off who were dressed in tank tops. I mean jerks can come in all shapes and sizes (or manner of dress), but for the most part if someone dresses the part they play the part.

You can dress how you wish I really don't care. I have worked and played at munis with no dress code for my entire golfing career. But your arguments seem ridiculous to me. I still believe as I did when I started this thread, they are good for the game. Why? It just looks better.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

16 hours ago, ballziez said:

you would expect someone to wear long pants outdoors in that weather except for a funeral or wedding.

Why?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!