Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

Dress Codes  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

1,256 posts / 98440 viewsLast Reply

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Yep. And the next person I find spitting sunflower seeds all over the greens, y’all will hear about it, because I’m going to make 11 o’clock news!

I forgot about that one, we have a guy in our league that does that, pisses me off.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I don't know when this became a "thing", but I've noticed it more and more the past few years! I had a birdie putt cruising toward the hole on a perfect line when it suddenly hopped about 3"-4" in the air and died short! I walked the line and found a sunflower seed hull! Nowadays I walk my line beforehand to check for things like that.

People who spit anything on the green should be tied to a whipping post! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I don't know when this became a "thing", but I've noticed it more and more the past few years! I had a birdie putt cruising toward the hole on a perfect line when it suddenly hopped about 3"-4" in the air and died short! I walked the line and found a sunflower seed hull! Nowadays I walk my line beforehand to check for things like that.

People who spit anything on the green should be tied to a whipping post! 

I can see how this would be annoying, but don't you check your line before you putt? Also, what does a sunflower seed have to do with dress code? 

On 9/6/2019 at 3:48 PM, Bonvivant said:

That's what the rules of golf are for. Much rather play with an honest and respectful slob than a cheating person in nice clothes.

I grow so tired of ridiculous arguments like this. First, this is totally hypothetical, next chances are the opposite is true anyway. I truly believe you show respect through dress a lot of the time. If you decide to dress nicely, most likely you will act that way. If finding a clean collared shirt is too much work, then chances are so is replacing divots, and raking bunkers.

This topic has jumped the shark because of the silly retrenchment.  Some people just enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing.  It is entirely obvious that dressing well is an element of encouraging proper behavior.  That is the reason dress codes exist anywhere. It is not a guarantee, so anecdotal examples of the opposite are without much merit.

Speaking of anecdotes that do not lend credence...

The foursome in from of us today were driving cart on the fringe of the greens, yelling loud, and doing things like taking many shots off the tee, making casual stops at the restroom thus holding up all of the groups behind them as far back as I could count with that slow pace.  And they were wearing tee shirts - every one of them.

21 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

This topic has jumped the shark because of the silly retrenchment. 

Ya gotta jump 6 feet to get over Greg Norman... 😉

Just now, Cantankerish said:

Speaking of anecdotes that do not lend credence...

The foursome in from of us today were driving cart on the fringe of the greens, yelling loud, and doing things like taking many shots off the tee, making casual stops at the restroom thus holding up all of the groups behind them as far back as I could count with that slow pace.  And they were wearing tee shirts - every one of them.

Slow play is far worse than dress in my mind. If you can't shoot your shot within 30-40 seconds, it is a problem. If I had a golf 10 commandments #1 would be "thou shalt maintain a reasonable pace of play". 4 hours is my upper limit of tolerance and it is broken on almost every weekend round that I play. I can tolerate tee shirts if they can stay true to that

dress codes are probably bad for the games appeal, but for myself, I enjoy looking nice and sharp for my round. 

2 minutes ago, downbylaw11 said:

dress codes are probably bad for the games appeal, but for myself, I enjoy looking nice and sharp for my round. 

Tomorrow I plan to ask a dozen 20 year-olds if a collared shirt and pants other than jeans would lower the appeal of playing or taking up golf.

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Tomorrow I plan to ask a dozen 20 year-olds if a collared shirt and pants other than jeans would lower the appeal of playing or taking up golf.

This is a great idea. I might do the same to see if my judgment is skewed. If we all did it, it would be a really good data set.

it's just my opinion. I think many people still have an attitude about golf that it's only for rich elitists and not really a game for 'everybody'. 

3 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

This is a great idea. I might do the same to see if my judgment is skewed. If we all did it, it would be a really good data set.

I figure if I stand on the edge of the golf course parking lot it will be a good place to take my survey. 😁

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

I figure if I stand on the edge of the golf course parking lot it will be a good place to take my survey. 😁

Not biased at all, LOL. I like it though. I am seriously going to ask any youngins I meet this question. I feel like the answer I will get more often is that it is "boring". I wonder all the time why people think that, because to me there is nothing more exciting.

I do not think banning jeans and/or collarless shirts is good for golf. A private club may elect to place whatever restrictions they want on dress but restrictive dress codes tend to give the appearance of elitism.  Still, compared to others problems, like pace of play, dress codes is pretty far down the list.

4 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I can see how this would be annoying, but don't you check your line before you putt? Also, what does a sunflower seed have to do with dress code? 

I do now! And a sunflower seed hull has to do with dress code in that slobs are slobs! 

38 minutes ago, downbylaw11 said:

it's just my opinion. I think many people still have an attitude about golf that it's only for rich elitists and not really a game for 'everybody'. 

And that's exactly what it is, attitude! This is why people show up at funerals in cargo shorts, wife beaters, and sandals! How about a little respect? I may not go the whole suit and tie route, like I did when we buried my Mother, but if I'm going to attend, I will wear clean, pressed dress slacks and shirt. And dress shoes. 

Here's what I'm thinking:  This is really not an argument about dress codes.  It's an argument about guys saying/thinking that nobody is going to tell them what to wear.  Not sure what constitutional amendment that is, but my hunch is that the anti dress code guys are tee-shirt eccentric and the don't want to change.  Never, not ever.  You'll pry my tee shirt out of my cold dead hands kind of mentality.

We seem to be drifting around the topic on some posts. Please keep to the topic.

And where clean underwear. You may get struck by lighting or hit by a ball. What will the ER folks say if they see you in that underwear? - Mom