IGNORED

What is the widest lake you would dare attempt to hit over?

HytrewQasdfg
Note: This thread is 5448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know.... 10"-20".....with confidence!

actually it depends on conditions (lie, wind, weather, swing state...). I'm usually not afraid to lose a ball though....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
I'd be pretty comfortable out to about 240. If I'm hittin well that day...maybe bump it to 250.

Of course, this is figuring no wind either direction, dry, west texas weather and around the same elevation that I play at normally.
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

What about with your last prov-1,not a shag ball.Also how many people switch balls when water comes in to play?

My shag balls

are ProV1's. Where do you think the shag balls come from?!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Honestly, how far I can hit it isn't usually what's driving my decision.

A lot of factors come into play, but for the most part, once the carry gets much over 220 yds, the risk of having to re-tee hitting three vs the reward of a little better chance at a birdie becomes too great to realistically consider. I'm just not willing to trade a significant chance of double or higher for a little better chance at a birdie. As we've said before, this game is as much about managing your misses as it is about hitting great shots.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

We have a local course down by the Savannah river that has a lot of water and natural swamp areas that are in play. On the third hole in the middle of the blue tee box is a large plaque set in the ground that says 199yds to carry the hazard. The good news is that the fairway beyond the hazard is nice and wide so as long as you carry the hazard you're in good shape. The bad news is if your short your ball is gone. It's a 225yd carry from the blacks, but fortunately I'm not good enough to have to worry about that carry. The worst part about the hole is that the forced carry (any forced carry actually) has a way of getting into your head. Lots of forced carrys at that course. Thank goodness for wide landing areas though.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

• Administrator
Still wind, flat ground, and all that jazz: 240 without much hesitation (unless there's a smarter play, like a diagonal hazard in which case I'd opt to cover less ground and to shape the ball a bit).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My conscience won't let me go past 250-260. If I'm trying to just get it in the fairway then my average drive is about 275. Otherwise, 5/10 shots or so (at 300 yards) will go over a 280 yard lake (I have some roll).

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Clear a lake on the 14th hole of my local course every time I play, it shortens the par 5 a bit. It's about 240-270 to clear it, depending on how far right you go. I've cleared it on the right edge a few times, but only by about 10 yards. Scary when it goes that way because it's 50/50.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

My courage runs out typically at a forced carry of 215 yards.

If the score for the round is already shot seems that I can carry 240, however an attempt at that distance when the round is going well will pretty much guaranty me a double bogey or worse.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

Somewhere in the 230-240 range. There are a couple holes at the course I'm playing this year that you can shorten the hole a bit by cutting over a large pond. The one hole in particular is about 230 from tee to green if you go over the pond (water basically from tee to green going this way). It plays as a 328 yard par 4 from the white tees (men's). Anyone that can hit a fairly good drive usually tries to cut part of the pond, as if you play it safe and just try to go to the fairway, it's probably just over 200 yards to carry. I usually aim a bit left of the green and let my fade take the ball towards the green. I've been in front of the green a few times and on the green once this year aleady (missed the eagle putt). Haven't went splash yet (knock on wood). The main problem with hitting over the pond is you often end up past the fairway/green and into the rough, giving you a worse lie then if you had just hit an iron to the corner of the fairway...but that's not as fun!
I hear they are planning to move the white tees back closer to the blues (tips), which plays as a 423 yard par 4, so this will take the carry shot out of play and it will play like it is supposed to. It is fun going for the green, but the hole can really slow the pace of play down as every hacker on the course is always waiting for people to clear the green as they all think they are going to drive it.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

Whenever I hear people talk about how long they can hit the ball, I can never make out if they mean in the air or are including the roll (and is that a level roll or roll downhill) or if that is a confident shot, or is it one shot in every 10.

a 260 carry i feel comfortable with

Note: This thread is 5448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!