IGNORED

"The Putting Bible" by Dave Pelz

iacas
Note: This thread is 2678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am on the fence with Pelz. I agree with his ideas and his research data. I agree with him on how to read greens and what kind of shots to hit in different situations, and overall concepts of the short game. I do not agree with how he gets people to use that information. The short game is more about feel than perfect mechanics. It is easy to have too much information and lose your imagination. Imagination is the key to good golf, not perfect mechanics.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

It's the biggest paperweight that I have.

Waaaaay too much information for any practical use, other than something to read while being holed up away from golf during a snowy winter.

I found an old Tom Watson short game book at a used book store and it is pretty good. Tom talks about his approach to the short game with some practical tips for practice. It also has some nice drawings by Anthony Ravielli(sp?) . Great book.

R9 SuperTri 10.5*
Exotics XCG-3 4W 16.5*
Idea Pro 18* and/or 20*
i15
X-Tour 54/60PM Trinidad TP Black LDPAll in a SCB and MicroCart

I agree with a lot of the other comments. The research is great and I don't think the average player thinks about or practices their short game and putting enough (myself included) but I find the book way too complicated and detailed into practice.

In saying that, my main take from both his books was to practice my short game and putting more which has improved my scoring so I guess the books did have a positive influence on my game just not the instructional type that I expected

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Discuss "The Putting Bible" by Dave Pelz here.

A must read for the serious golfer! Dave Pelz is a retired physicist who takes a very scientific approach to the art of putting in 'The Putting Bible'.

His understanding of putting is based on a careful experimental study. He talks of the importance of the ball travelling 17 inches past the hole on missed putts - even with the short ones! The reason why is hitting the putt firmly into the hole minimizes any adverse effects of uneven terrain that come into play when you 'baby' the ball into the hole. This book will save 5 strokes off your game. Hit 'em Long and Staright! John Lynch

• 2 months later...
I bought this book when it first came out several years ago. I like to practice, so I had no problem trying his pendulum putting stroke so I could become a more consistent putter.

My putting actually got worse, the more technical I got. I went through four putters and an increase in my handicap trying to make it work for me. I finally put my old Ping Anser 2 back in the bag, and threw his book on the bottom of the shelf.

For me, it's a very unnatural stroke. I am much more suited to the open, close putting stroke mentioned earlier in the thread. If it helps someone great, more power to them, but me, I can't recommend this book to anyone.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

• Administrator
This book will save 5 strokes off your game.

Strongly disagreed. The whole "straight back, straight through" method is a terrible way for 99+% of golfers. Even Phil Mickelson continues to putt with an arc stroke.

But I'm happy to putt the better way and let others continue to suffer, so by all means, carry on Pelzians.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's some good stuff in there. Watched Crenshaw on some show last year, think it was on the GC. He was demonstrating technique on long putts, maybe Texas wedges, and clearly an arc and release because of the distance. I started trying to incorporate that into my long putting and it really made a difference. On shorter putts, I think I'm going straight back and straight through, but I really believe when I'm putting well and not "thinking" about it, it's not that way at all. Going to be working on admitting an arc (first step to recovery) this Spring and see what happens.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

• 2 weeks later...
can someone comment on how a center shafted putter effects the arc stroke vs the straight back and through stroke, as well as why most of scotty camerons are heel shafted putters?

I know thats a load of questions. I didn't even know people putted with an arc till a year ago. I have tried it some but drift back and forth. Is this the best book to pick up on putting, or is there a better one?

Tour Burner 9.5 w real Diamana 63 S
906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW
Vokey 50/56/60Yes! NatalieBushnell Medalist w/ PinseekerI'll play just about any ball

• Administrator
can someone comment on how a center shafted putter effects the arc stroke vs the straight back and through stroke, as well as why most of scotty camerons are heel shafted putters?

Not without going off topic they can't. Short answer (so we can stay on topic): Scotty believes the arc stroke is best. Even his straight-shafted putters have toe hang.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm about 41 pages into it so far. Pretty interesting. Definitely a lot of things I've never thought about. I found his break down of the lumpy donut pretty interesting. Makes you wonder how you ever make a putt.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I liked pelz before, but I bought and read the putting bible and shortgame bible and he comes off as pushy and trying to sell himself too much to me. The books are like a giant infomercial. Yes some of the parts are very nice and informative. But you better believe the next page will have some sort of outline dealing with you coming to his golf school or something.

I liked pelz before, but I bought and read the putting bible and short game bible and he comes off as pushy and trying to sell himself too much to me. The books are like a giant infomercial. Yes some of the parts are very nice and informative. But you better believe the next page will have some sort of outline dealing with you coming to his golf school or something.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it felt like an infomercial but I know what you're talking about. I finished the book this past week. As someone who's very technical and has never really thought about putting, I really enjoyed the book. It definitely gives you a lot to think about.

I did not like how he constantly suggests using his learning aids. I'm fine with him promoting them but give us some alternatives as well. Like home made aids. I tallied up all the aids he recommends and they totaled over $500. Did you notice that the only item he gave a home made alternative to was the ball balancer? It's also the only "aid" he doesn't sell on his website? Hmm. Either way I still enjoyed the book and will read the short game version.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

• 1 year later...

I think anyone who is really serious about putting should at least open this book one time or another. His methods sound like they are made for robots at times, but at times I would like to be a robot at the greens.

I didn't have a book about putting until I got this one. His take on the grip and stance is as valid for pils stroke as other type of strokes, but if you do not like the straight back straight through then at least there is 80% of the book that deal with other interesting things about putting. I am (I think) using his stroke, and have been getting gradually better and have more "feel" for distance than ever. Maybe I'm turning into a robot

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

Haven't read the book but am quite familiar with Pelz's work and theories. He's brilliant, no doubt, but I've always felt his methods would require a LOT of practice to master -- to make the "robotic" nature of his techniques "instinctive."

Of course, you could say the same about most anything in golf. The golf swing, chipping and putting strokes are anything but natural. Just watch any non-golfer attempt to emulate a golf swing.

Sean

Could somebody please post the tests from his book which allow you to calculate your Putting Handicap. I'm having fun with his 8 Short Game Handicap tests right now! I'm off scratch but have a SGH of 11 according to Pelz!! THANKS!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Sorry if this goes off topic, but what exactly does Pelz say about reading greens? How does he say you should do it? I'd like to know a few things he says before I buy the back.

WITB;
R9; Tour Issue Aldila DVS R flex
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood
Mp-60 4-PW KBS Tour R Stiff
MP series 51, 56, 60 Squareback No. 2. DT So/Lo

Note: This thread is 2678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!