Sign in to follow this  
Uthinkso

Scotty Cameron Putters.....Q's inside.

Note: This thread is 4088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 posts / 2304 viewsLast Reply

I'll preface with the fact that I have seen ads for them, but have never given them a second look since I'm happy with my current putter.

Last week though I did an Ebay search and saw that people collect these putters. Some going for as high as two or three thousand dollars, but many of them going in the five to eight hundred dollar range. I can appreciate playability and quality of a club and justify most any expense for a club. What struck me as odd, was that the bulk of these clubs aren't even played. They are more collector pieces for golfers.

Can anyone even begin to explain the allure to these putters? I'm certainly not judging it, and for my next putter I may even look to cameron, but to buy a club and not play it just seems wrong.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Check out thecameroncollector.com for more information on collecting Camerons.

There are some collectors who have incredibly rare Camerons that they choose not to game for obvious reasons, but many collectors, including myself, game most everything they have.

Alot of people (including me) see these putters as not only golf clubs but works of art. The ones you see going for in the thousands of dollars are each unique, kind of like different paintings from the same artist. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

they are examples of craftsmanship that many perceive as machine made but are often handmade

a handmilled putter is a beautiful thing

There's just something about having the very best of its kind...whether that be a Scotty Cameron, or a Patek Philippe, or any other fine piece of engineering. The Patek Philippe won't tell the time any better than a $5 Timex but I'd still rather have the Patek

That said I don't have one and am not thinking I'll buy one. Would make a great present from the wife

I personally think its a status symbol. Id always heard how amazing Scotty Camerons were and recently won a Red X on Ebay.
Honestly, Im not impressed with it. I can putt way better with my cheapie Wilson Augusta that I bought at Wal-Mart for $50 than I could with that Cameron.

I actually just left the pro shop about 2.5 hrs ago and was testing the TM Spider when the guy told me about a trade in. It was a brand new Scotty Newport 2 that had only seen one round of play and was virtually flawless. He sold it to me for the same price he gave the guy who had it because I buy everything from him. Nice pick up and I LOVE IT!

I personally think its a status symbol. Id always heard how amazing Scotty Camerons were and recently won a Red X on Ebay.

people have been discussing tour level putters and handmades

there are definitely other OTR putters that can be compared to OTR camerons how can a company charge 250 for a putter made in china when scotty charges 300 for something crafted here (where we have standards of quality, pay and employee rights)

how can a company charge 250 for a putter made in china when scotty charges 300 for something crafted here (where we have standards of quality, pay and employee rights)

I agree, and also it takes ALOT more time to mill a putter out of a solid block of metal than to cast a putter. Scottys are just overall solid putters.

The neck of it slants backwards. Notice how the hosel is bent back at an angle on this putter:
http://www.scottycameron.com/images/...s/a001412c.jpg

And look how this neck is straight up:
http://www.scottycameron.com/images/...s/A000426a.jpg

Just subtle differences but apperently the mid slant and slant help with putters who have/like alot of "toe flow"

The appeal of them for me is for various reasons:
  • I've found a model that sets up very well for me and feels super...better than any putter I've tried...the RedX3
  • Balance is awesome
  • The grip is perfect for me
  • Feel a high level of precison with this putter
  • Having the Custom Shop for modifications is nice to know
  • Having the Custom Shop being able to return the putter to it's factory specs and new condition is cool....something that may be useful a few years from now
  • The putter will always hold some value....more than any 10 putters I've owned put together
  • Timeless classics verses just another putter from the past

The main reason, though, is the top one.

remember... sticks can always be refinished (and cheaper through a non scotty shop, while maintaining quality) so there are plenty of deals out on ebay

Note: This thread is 4088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!