IGNORED

Long hitters, where do you practice your drives?

NBGC
Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Back to the question, I would just continue to hit until something happens. If you do hit the condos, your ball will have probably slowed to a speed where much damage cannot be inflicted.

In Korea I hit into nets about 200 meters (about 220 yards) away. The range is only about 20-30 meters wide so I work on hitting the net with accuracy. IMO accuracy is much more important than distance.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should probably practice your short game.

An 18 HC reguarly hitting over 300 yards indicates you cannot putt and you couldn't hit the side of a barn with your irons.

Most par 4's you'd be within 100 yards easily. Should be a easy chip and putt for birdie, but since you are at best a bogie player on your finest day, you must be three putting or not able to hit the green from within 100 yards.

Most par 5's you should be within 150 yards which should be at most an easy 7 or 8 iron for you and a putt for eagle. You must be 4 putting for bogie or not able to hit an iron to save your life.

IMO practice your putting, irons and short game, because your skills in these area's are very weak.
In my bag:

Wow, LoL.

I really didn't mean to stir up the hornets nest. This forum has and always will be a deep well of knowledge, and I'm actually a little taken aback by some of the responses and retorts on this thread. Members have generally been very cordial and moderators have done a fantastic job of mediating.

For those that actually tried to help answer my question, thank you. I should be getting my driver back tomorrow morning from having it reshafted and that should keep the ball from going over the netting.

As for those that hit 300+, I have no reason not to believe you. There are alot of long hitters out there, tho far more claim to be than are. Don't let the haters get to you.

You doubters, keep doubting. I don't see why it's so hard to believe that someone can hit longer than a PGA professional's tournament avg. These pro's can and have hit it a ton further than thier avg's. You actually believe Tiger, JB, AK, or Bubba can't drive 350+ when they're screwing around and a tourney's not on the line? I've seen both JB and AK do it on Playing with the Pro's on GC. My longest drive is pale in comparison to thier recorded PGA longest drives..which are in the 450+ yd range.

Anyways, didn't mean to start a "I can hit a 500yd sandwedge" thread.

in my EDGE bag:

10.5* XLS HiBore Driver, Fuji stiff VP70
15* XLS HiBore 3 Wood Gold stiff
22*, 25* XLS HiBore 3H, 4H, Gold stiff MP-57 5-PW, DG S300 MP-R 52 gap, MP-R 56 sandwedge SM Vokey 60 Lob Newport 2 Detour Pro-V1X, NXT Tour, Callaway Tour iXIgolf NEO GPS

You should probably practice your short game.

Well said. You make it sound fairly easy and simple enough to birdy and eagle.

But I don't regulary hit it 300 yds, I've only done it 2x measured. My reg drives are 275-285. And the avg Par 4 is 400-450 yds. Not gonna be chipping it 125-170 yds. The course I track my hdcp is the typical California Central Coast golf course, There's no opposing fairway to hit/punch back out of if you don't hit the fairway. You're hitting 3 because you're ball is lost in the chaparreal, iceplant, or sagebrush. For those that haven't seen these courses, imagine the fantastic desert courses in the south west, if you don't hit the green stuff, you're dropping another ball. That said, I think I'm doing fairly well as a bogey golfer. It's only a 6845 73/130 rated course but alot more challenging then the "normal" courses I toot around here in the city. I play 9 everyweek with co-workers on a 3100yd course once a week and consistantly shoot 3-5 over and hit the "normal" 18 with my dad and his buddies 2x a month. Difference? Bad shots only cost you 1 stroke at most. As for my driving accuracy, I'm usually between the tree's. Not necessarily on the short grass, but usually playable with the occasianal one or 2 that gets away. I also always count my penalties cuz my dad is anal that way. If I hit one into the "shit" I play a provisional and not a drop where I think it went out, so I'm hitting 3 off the tee, not 200yds down. I know most you you low handicappers do the same and play by the rules. You're only cheating yourself and if I wanted a vanity handicap I woulda posted a 10. I need to work on course management, putting, bunkers. I'm learning to get away from hero shots and going for par 5's in 2 on guarded greens, no more 150 punch shots thru tree's that never work out like you see it lol, and my biggest obsticle is reading greens. I've gotten my distance control down alot better but there's no shortcut to learning breaks, putting greens are okay, but usually don't have the slopes and contours that the real greens have and that's just getting out there and hitting 1000's of putts on greens in play. My typical par 4? Drive it 260-280 in or near the fairway. Approach shot near or on the green at distance to the pin. Chip or putt close to the hole. Finish out with par or bogey. Throw in a couple double's and blowup holes. That = hdcp. Thank you tho for your advice. Those are exactly what I need to work on but as far as me hitting it long reflecting my handicap I don't buy it. If I hit the ball 230 I'd still have the same problems and probably a worse score due to having to hit more mid irons than scoring iron on my approaches.

in my EDGE bag:

22*, 25* XLS HiBore 3H, 4H, Gold stiff MP-57 5-PW, DG S300 MP-R 52 gap, MP-R 56 sandwedge SM Vokey 60 Lob Newport 2 Detour Pro-V1X, NXT Tour, Callaway Tour iXIgolf NEO GPS

I'm consistantly hitting 285+ with a few 300+ drives on the course the last couple weeks with a slight draw/fade depending on ball placement.

My misunderstanding I guess.

The nets at the range should be fine for 275-285 or 260-280 whichever is your regular driving distance. Again accuracy would probably be better than playing out of the trees or hitting OB.
In my bag:

No worries mate,

I actually logged bag in to change my last post, I felt as it had the wrong tone. I understand you're just offering advice.

Guess the whole point of the post was that I didnt understand the correlation between my driving distance and my current handicap, everything being the same.

It's just I want to practice like I play. If I resort to hitting my drives 70% or hitting my 3 wood only, then that affects me when I get on the course.

Once again, I apologize for any unintended tone that may have come across.

in my EDGE bag:

when these threads get to the fourth or fifth page does anyone answer the question asked?

i already have btw

also fyi - clubs used in longdrive events are restricted by the same paramaters as clubs used on uspga and euro tours

i.e. the clubs are the same for everyone! no 52" shaft max shaft length is the same as for you in your am comps or pros on tour 48"

distance is all about conditions - given extreme enough conditions ANYONE can hit a 400yard drive

happy mud slinging

I do with, your girl beaver. pretty deep

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You're really pathetic. I'm sorry, I'm going to have to report you to Chris Hanson because she's 15.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Well hot damn I better get in on some competitions then.

With your swing, I don't think they'd let you.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

I have a problem with my 8 Iron at the range... I normally hit it 265... but thats not the problem. I hit it so high it goes into outer space... I fear that it may come down over Cuba and Castro thinks Florida is attacking.

This thread has been quite enjoyable to read. You win though ^^^

Driver: 4DX Tour 9°
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: J33 Combo
Wedge: 56°
Putter: Pipe PP/002Ball: Gamer

This thread has been quite enjoyable to read. You win though ^^^

Thank you... I will be expecting my coupon for ChuckeCheese in the mail early next week.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

i go to the county airport in the morning before planes start taking off. the 1000 yd. runaways give me lots of room to belt them

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

• 5 months later...
there are certain driving ranges that my brother cant go to...
we were at owls creek... its an executive course with a decent driving range... one side has the hitting bays with artificial matts and heaters... the opposite side has the grass tees about 280-300 out... basically they face each other with nets on both sides...
my brother would blast balls... even if they didnt carry(some of them did) they would run right at the guys on the other side... no matter how hard i swung or what driver i used(his,mine) i barely made it past the 200 marker by 20 30 yrds...
when he comes to town we dont go to owls creek bowcreek or lynnhaven anymore... we pretty much go to my home course and he rains balls on the maintenence shack opposite of the range
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

near me a driving range will keep the balls in an air conditioned room so that in summer they come out at like 50 degrees, i think cuz the woods are 290 and the more that go bye bye the less they have.......

there is a big difference between hitting 300 yard drives and having a 300yard average. It would be a very very proficient golfer to hit 100 drives and have a 302 yard average.

As for the OP, I have a similar problem the only driving range we have just is not long enough and they have this stupid net that stops balls on the way up. I usually just go to my home club and play 2 balls from each tee without chipping and putting to practice with my driver otherwise its an hour drive to the nearest decent driving range.

Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!