IGNORED

Long hitters, where do you practice your drives?

NBGC
Note: This thread is 5511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

220 to the net, that is not a DRIVING range, that is an IRON range

yeah im thinking its more of a warm up area before you play your round... another indication is that they give really small buckets of balls... but i see guys out there not getting ready to play, just batting balls around

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

My local range has a 12 foot fence at 270 yards. Beyond that at about 340 yards is the cart path and water hazard of hole #8, a 175 yard par 3.
I am constantly hitting my range balls into play at hole 8! Loads of fun but the only way I get any satisfaction is to play the short par 4's man!
What I do now is concentrate on the flight path of my balls. I try to hit them straight, high, drawn, faded, whatever! Thats all I really use the range for. I use a radar swing speed sensor at the range and that tells me about how far a well struck ball will fly. I know that at 225 mph I am getting 300 yards average and at 140 I am getting 350... maybe???

And yes! I am bragging! But It feels so good!

Cheers,
BigBallSmasher!

I know that at 225 mph I am getting 300 yards average and at 140 I am getting 350... maybe???

140 mph? That's 10 miles per hour faster than Tiger's swing speed. That's one impressive swing!

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I can't be bothered reading this whole girly argument of a thread so I dunno if anyone's said it before but how are they going to tell that it was you who hit the condo? Just go when you know the range is busy so there's a whole bunch of potential suspects. By the time any complaints come over from the condos you'll probably be long gone and there's no way anyone can prove it was you who hit the ball anyway.

OK Guys... There is a highschool kid that plays with me and we are both 300 plus on our off days ... Why are you doubting our carry distances and club head speeds? I am 42 years old and weigh 229 lbs. I was an athlete most of my life and can bench over 300 lbs. I also work out out with 50 lb dumb bells when I do curls. I am 6 foot tall and I currently teach dance for a living now that I lost my real job. Since I lost my real job I have spent about 3 hours a day at the range every day! My swing speed has been measured at golf galaxie, my custom club maker, and daily with my swing speed radar. My average club head speed is over 225 MPH and I can maintain 145 + MPH for 4 or 5 swings in a row after warming up for several hours(it's all about tempo and rythm boys! not strength!)
Those of you who only practice for 45 minutes once a week before you play the "executive course" and can only drive the ball 210 yards need to step back and check your ego's a bit. I am sure that if you really took your game seriously you could swing as fast and hit as far as we do.
As for Tiger woods.... He is a little girl off the Tee Box. His real strength is not distance, IT IS SHOT MAKING. Tiger is a master of the shot. He is the shot maker of the century. He is not that long though.
That is why I can out drive Kitty Cat Woods any day of the week but Tiger will shoot 20 strokes less than me on that same day

Cheers,
BigBallSmasher

I don't know if this has already been suggested but just do what I and many others have to do at my nearest range. Because it is only about 230 yards long, if you want to hit further you have to set up at the left-most end and hit to the right corner. Sure this doesn't give you an accurate range, but I wouldn't set my range using range balls anyway.

In my bag:
Driver: G10 10.5 TFC 129 Shaft
3 wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: 585H 21 Degree
Irons 3-PW: 735.CMWedges: Vokey 52.08, 56.14Putter: White Hot XG #5

• 4 weeks later...
These message boards are full of distance conscious posts. I played in a match play event last year and was beaten by a guy that drove the ball 230. He made 3 20+ foot putts, and got up and down from all over the map. Anybody that is a real player won't pay any attention to how you hit it off the tee, only how you end up in the cup so stop thinking you are impressing anybody. The less everybody focuses on distance, other than grooving specific distances with specific clubs, the better off their game will be.

Still reading some more posts, there are guys that use all sorts of practice tools radar do-hickeys and blah blah, practice fades, draws etc. and have driving down to a science. A 12 handicap, or even a 6 handicap for that matter, has too many strokes to shave off of a round to be focused on driver that much. Short game, mental game, distance game, in that order.

Driver - TaylorMade R7 425
3-Wood - Callaway Original Steelhead
Irons - Ben Hogan 3-PW Apex FTX, Rifle 6.5
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 52, 56, and 60
Putter - Scotty 2004 Newport Beach 1.5

In a specially made 400 yard long hyperbaric chamber. Its only 10 yards wide because i dont intend to miss. I use a 10 pound driver and 2 pound golf balls, all while wearing a 100 lbs hiking bag on my back.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

In a specially made 400 yard long hyperbaric chamber. Its only 10 yards wide because i dont intend to miss. I use a 10 pound driver and 2 pound golf balls, all while wearing a 100 lbs hiking bag on my back.

hahahahaha Nice!!! I can't handle the 10 pound driver but I use "the beast" momentus driver ha.

Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 8.5 stiff V2 shaft
Woods: IDrive 3 & 5 square (Callaway Clone)
Irons: Callaway X Forged 3-PW w/Rifle 5.5
Wedge: Titleist Vokey 2009 spin milled 52 degree Adams 60 degree
Putter: Maxfli BlackMax TwoBag: Nike Sasquatch Tour Stand BagBall: Whatever is in my bag that day

To all concerned... There is nothing that makes you sound like a beginner (and poseur) more than bragging, or even talking too much, about your distance. An experienced golfer would hear it across the clubhouse and laugh inside at how mislead the golfer is.

Driver - TaylorMade R7 425
3-Wood - Callaway Original Steelhead
Irons - Ben Hogan 3-PW Apex FTX, Rifle 6.5
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 52, 56, and 60
Putter - Scotty 2004 Newport Beach 1.5

For those of you that hit 290+, where do you practice your drives?

just hit 'em into the net.

you can't really trust the range balls anyway.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!